Author Topic: Just bought my first AR... lower.  (Read 31023 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Just bought my first AR... lower.
« Reply #255 on: October 01, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »
If the other red dot sights were fuzzy/distorted the DP Pro probably will be, too.

Mine is.  The round dot model has a sort of curved tail hanging off the bottom.  The triangle model has a faint second triangle to the left/bottom of the bright one.  Unless I wear my special glasses ($5 Walmart reading glasses).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Cati

« Reply #256 on: October 02, 2017, 11:08:09 AM »
Eotech's are a little more fuzzy to me than red dots

Offline Voodoo

« Reply #257 on: October 03, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »
I'm thinking about AR for a good year now and I think i will finally make my move.
I'm still not sure if to build or just buy the whole thing. Love the Sig M400 Elite Ti's. But I'm sure I can build one for a lot less.
For optics I will most likely go vortex. I think they are nicely priced and people that own them say a lot of good things.

Offline gnumadic

« Reply #258 on: October 05, 2017, 06:59:05 PM »
You had the same conclusion as me on the Eotech. Really surprised me. I heard they were more fuzzy than reflex, but it was absolutely AWFUL. You should take a look at the prismatic sights too, those were sooooo crisp. I really like this Holosun (SIG Romeo)  though, very crisp, can get very bright too.

I imagine Botach will just send me a replacement.

I've been reading up on the prism scopes and plan to check them out in person. Everyone says they are the solution to those with astigmatism who struggle with a red dot.

A Vortex Spitfire AR 1X or a Burris AR-332 are within my budget. And I can add an ADM quick release base for about $75. Anyone know how close you can use a 3X?
CZ P-09 Suppressor Ready | CZ P-09 Kadet Kit | CZ 75 Compact w/Rail (i.e., compact SP-01) | CZ 550
--
“Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom for this group or that, ask yourself whether he is advocating more government action or less.” - Ron Paul

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #259 on: October 05, 2017, 08:55:41 PM »
You had the same conclusion as me on the Eotech. Really surprised me. I heard they were more fuzzy than reflex, but it was absolutely AWFUL. You should take a look at the prismatic sights too, those were sooooo crisp. I really like this Holosun (SIG Romeo)  though, very crisp, can get very bright too.

I've been reading up on the prism scopes and plan to check them out in person. Everyone says they are the solution to those with astigmatism who struggle with a red dot.

A Vortex Spitfire AR 1X or a Burris AR-332 are within my budget. And I can add an ADM quick release base for about $75. Anyone know how close you can use a 3X?
If you buy the AR332, wait for the deal that includes a Fastfire 3.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #260 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:40 PM »
Since my barrel finally came in, I had to decide on an upper receiver. Ordered this one today, no weight listed, hope it doesn't weigh a ton.
https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-upper-parts/side-charging-non-reciprocating-upper-receiver-newest-and-best-available/

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #261 on: October 05, 2017, 11:42:04 PM »

I agree. This deal comes around pretty often.

Holosun sent me a replacement red dot USPS priority, comes tomorrow. Botach had absolutely awful customer service...

Offline gnumadic

« Reply #262 on: October 06, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »

I emailed Burris and they said:

Hello Scott,

That particular promotion is not slotted in this year. We have not decided on what promotions to run in 2018 as of yet, but I am sure this may be a candidate again.

Thank You,

Burris Technical Support #4
1-888-440-0244
https://burris.supportsync.com

So as everyone has said I'm sure it's coming soon.

On a related note I stopped by Cabela's and looked at the AR-332. It was crisp of course but didn't seem to have as much eye relief as the TAC30. I wonder if the Spitfire AR is better.

I did also look through the Fastfire 3. The dot wasn't as bad. It still seemed like three dots clustered instead of one crisp dot, but it wasn't a comet like the Sig Romeo. Maybe it's the reflex design? Anyhow, I think it might work for me at short range. I don't think I'll buy anything until I get my eyes checked later this month.

The sales guy, John, was really helpful. We talked at length about 3-gun and IPDA shooting up in Cleveland, TN (2nd and 3rd Saturday's of the month, reapectively). That alone was worth the trip.
CZ P-09 Suppressor Ready | CZ P-09 Kadet Kit | CZ 75 Compact w/Rail (i.e., compact SP-01) | CZ 550
--
“Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom for this group or that, ask yourself whether he is advocating more government action or less.” - Ron Paul

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #263 on: October 06, 2017, 07:52:04 PM »
A buddy of mine shoots 3GUN in Cleveland and Knoxville. You should go watch the Cleveland match, it's huge. Really nice people too. I'd be surprised if they didn't offer to let you shoot a stage to try it out. I had no less than 5 strangers offer to let me borrow their equipment to give it a try.
 Even if you can't use the FF3, you can sell it to offset the cost of the AR332. I've done it twice, only I keep the FF3 and sell the AR332.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #264 on: October 07, 2017, 04:00:03 PM »

I emailed Burris and they said:

Hello Scott,

That particular promotion is not slotted in this year. We have not decided on what promotions to run in 2018 as of yet, but I am sure this may be a candidate again.

Thank You,

Burris Technical Support #4
1-888-440-0244
https://burris.supportsync.com

So as everyone has said I'm sure it's coming soon.

On a related note I stopped by Cabela's and looked at the AR-332. It was crisp of course but didn't seem to have as much eye relief as the TAC30. I wonder if the Spitfire AR is better.

I did also look through the Fastfire 3. The dot wasn't as bad. It still seemed like three dots clustered instead of one crisp dot, but it wasn't a comet like the Sig Romeo. Maybe it's the reflex design? Anyhow, I think it might work for me at short range. I don't think I'll buy anything until I get my eyes checked later this month.

The sales guy, John, was really helpful. We talked at length about 3-gun and IPDA shooting up in Cleveland, TN (2nd and 3rd Saturday's of the month, reapectively). That alone was worth the trip.

The Spitfire Prism is super crisp with hypothetically good eye relief (held it up, not mounted)! I'm pretty sure you'll like it. Check it out for sure.  The Romeo and Fastfire are both reflex sights I thought? Also, did you mess around with changing the brightness as well?

Offline eastman

« Reply #265 on: October 07, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »
Since my barrel finally came in, I had to decide on an upper receiver. Ordered this one today, no weight listed, hope it doesn't weigh a ton.
https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-upper-parts/side-charging-non-reciprocating-upper-receiver-newest-and-best-available/

I'm very much interested in how this works for you.

I like the idea of a side-charging AR (charging handle in the same spot as an FN-FAL or a Scorpion), but I know there have been problematic brands (I don't remember who DSArms bought them from, but they weren't reliable and all were replaced with conventional uppers).
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #266 on: October 07, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »
This all has me thinking about my first build... that I started pre-election with a stripped lower and then tabled.

I?m glad I waited actually because now I want a pistol build instead of a rifle build... something with a shockwave brace and law tactical folder.

Of course, since all I have in hand is the lower I?m also contemplating just buying a completed pistol LOL
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #267 on: October 07, 2017, 06:51:37 PM »

I'm very much interested in how this works for you.

I like the idea of a side-charging AR (charging handle in the same spot as an FN-FAL or a Scorpion), but I know there have been problematic brands (I don't remember who DSArms bought them from, but they weren't reliable and all were replaced with conventional uppers).
The upper arrived today, very impressed with the shipping/processing time from Rousch. It's a little heavy at 14oz, but assembled on my rifle it doesn't feel bad. I have a slick side upper that's 6oz for comparison. Some observations- B.A.D. lever won't clear the bolt release recess, anti rotation tabs don't need to be removed but do need trimming. Fit to my Aero lowers is very nice, no wiggle at all.
 Things that make this upper different from the other non-recips are the fwd assist, ejection port cvr, doesn't require special cam pin, the charging handle doesn't protrude from the rear of the upper, machined for anti rotation tabs. Cycling by hand is nice and smooth and the handle has a detent that locks it in the closed position. I'll check back in after I take it to the range.

Offline gnumadic

« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »
The Spitfire Prism is super crisp with hypothetically good eye relief (held it up, not mounted)! I'm pretty sure you'll like it. Check it out for sure.  The Romeo and Fastfire are both reflex sights I thought? Also, did you mess around with changing the brightness as well?

I think the battery was low on the Romeo, which may have added to the problem. Didn't mess around with the Fastfire much. Just a couple clicks on the illumination.

I ended up ordering a Spitfire AR from Optics Planet today. I have seen them on EBay for as low as 209.95 new. OP had it for 249.00 (still about 30% off). I chatted with them online and got them to match EBay. I also ordered an American Defense QD mount (65.00), but it's backordered. Might see if I can find it elsewhere. I think I'll like the optic and am glad to stay relatively w/in budget.
--

Offline Baron Samedi

« Reply #269 on: October 13, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »
Like others have said, a good trigger and barrel are essential if you're serious about competition shooting. 16" barrel is plenty for 3 gun.The ALG trigger is best solution unless you're a benchrest shooter. Couple it with a Blackhole Weaponry barrel and you are on your way.You can buy a BHW barrel from SAA and they will give you a stripped upper.I've built so many for myself and others, I've lost count, but the upper you build will outshoot the upper you buy if you do it right. My favorite build has made believers out of guys at a range near me when they challenged me at 25 yards for accuracy. I told them I wasn't a shooter, but my rifle was and after they each (3 of them) put 5 rounds each into a target, I dumped 2- 20 rd mags into one 2 inch hole using a red dot-silence ensued.The BHW barrel is key.Installing it with a reaction rod also makes a world of difference as you don't torque load the upper (kinda' like warping it) so your rifle repeats placement, less fliers. Aero Precision makes good parts as does PSA and others. Used lots of both, and current rifle is a PSA limited run actually done by FN before they went commercial. Only made about 500 of them. Other favorite was an Umbrella Corp SPR build and of course I named her "Alice".Good luck on your build, need any help or info, yell out.

anything