Author Topic: Loose rear sight  (Read 892 times)

Offline tman

Loose rear sight
« on: July 14, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
Anyone ever ran into a Kadet rear sight being loose?   I had mine for a few months and after a period of time I was not shooting as accurate is i expected.   Upon inspection of the rear sight it was loose.   In fact i could "Wiggle/slide" it a bit by hand.   Apparently the staking was not deep enough to keep it secure.   In the end i didn't mind as i was planning to go with a Springer Precision mount and Venom 3-MOA Red-Dot.... So removal of the original sight was a piece of cake and saved me the frustration of pushing off a tight sight.

Offline redlightrich

Re: Loose rear sight
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »
Hello, and yes, I had the exact thing happen to me. How I fixed this was to drill a hole thru the site top and base at the same time. I first took the sight and set it to its lowest setting, found center OF THE BASE, and drilled from the base thru the top. I then drilled the top part 2 or 3 drill sizes larger ( without touching the base hole) and I tapped the base to accept a 6-32 Allan screw. I dont remember the exact size of the first hole, that accepts the 6-32 Allan screw, but if you buy a 6-32 tap, which is about 4 dollars, the package, or tap itself will tell which size bit to use. The screw can start and be tightened thru the "access hole" which was created and oversized in the top. When I speak of the top of the sight, I am speaking about the part that is spring loaded, which is adjusted for elevation. Please note, the reason I worked on this as a complete assembly is that the elevation screw is captive, and I didn't want to take a chance and render this near 100 dollar sight useless.

I used a mill vise and some wood to hold the sight while drilling it. The most critical step is centering the pilot hole, and squaring it in the center of the sight base's protrusion that goes into the mill cut in the slide. Please note, centered here, is NOT centered in the sight.

If you need a picture, to more clearly explain, please PM me your email address, and I will forward a pix.

I realize the original way it was installed was thru a "crimp" in the access slot, but I felt that method didn't work the first time, why would it hold as a repair. If you notice, all the replacement LPA sights for this gun and other CZ's use an Allan screw. Yes I may be spelling Allan wrong.

I did finish this off by using Red Loctite on the sight base, and PURPLE on the 6-32 threads. The repair still holds fine.

This will take you maybe 20 minutes of time, and 5 dollars for a tap and screw, unless you don't have tools, in which case the cost will go up. Many places sell a replacement sight, from about 89 to 100 dollars, but if you can fix it, you are ahead of it.

Good luck and kind regards

Rich

Offline redlightrich

Re: Loose rear sight
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »
BTW, I am aware that you are using the loose sight as an opportunity to add a red dot type sight, but I answered in case either

You change your mind and want to repair it  OR

For benefit for the next person, who's sight also fell off. I think that CZ is letting more little flaws thru, in an effort to keep up with the demand.

Again, good luck

Rich