Author Topic: Evo w/tailhook brace  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Sephael

Re: Evo w/tailhook brace
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 07:14:15 AM »
I'd point out the letter says occasional incidental shouldering (as far as I read it). I take this to mean that if you buy a brace with the intent to shoulder you are still in violation of the law. As I read it, the letter means that if the brace accidentally touches your shoulder you won't go to jail over it, or if you shoulder it intentionally in self defense you are safe. However, if you go to the range and put 200 rounds through it with the brace to your shoulder the whole time you could still be in violation.

Offline Gear Head

• Gear That Works
    • Gear Head Works, LLC
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 10:40:13 AM »
I'd point out the letter says occasional incidental shouldering (as far as I read it). I take this to mean that if you buy a brace with the intent to shoulder you are still in violation of the law. As I read it, the letter means that if the brace accidentally touches your shoulder you won't go to jail over it, or if you shoulder it intentionally in self defense you are safe. However, if you go to the range and put 200 rounds through it with the brace to your shoulder the whole time you could still be in violation.

This is absolutely correct! The propaganda being put out by one brace manufacturer saying it's legal to shoulder their brace implies you can do it to skirt NFA laws. That is not true and is misleading. Just like some of the other things they are claiming. It boils down to intent just like you said. If you buy a brace to intend to use it as a SBR then you are violating the law. If you intended to build a pistol but a weird position or recoil causes the brace to hit your shoulder, then you are still fine.

You really have to watch these paid bloggers, youtubers and marketing material put out by companies that just want to make sales. You won't be able to use the excuse "They said I could online" in court.
Specializing on innovative gear for your favorite platforms.

Offline Jjason

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »
Until the ATF actually charges someone and takes it to court so we have case law to back up all the presumed nuance discussed on the internet, we really don't know the extent to which you can "incidentally" shoulder a brace.  Let's be honest, the overwhelming majority of people with a brace installed will shoulder the thing.  To pretend like braces are popular because people use them as a "cheek weld" is laughable.  Almost as laughable as the NFA.

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 05:10:08 PM »
The tail hook serves two real purposes for me. 

It allows me to put the folding member on the gun, and it's method of attachment blocks the open rear (see as; sharp) portion of that, and is pinned into place blocking the installation of the actual stock portion. 

These are 9mm.  I'm not worried about recoil and needing to jam the gun into my shoulder to control it in pistol form.  Simply using a tight sling off the rear plate I was able to significantly control it to put some in the same hole with it. 

I've had plenty of stockless AR's and I'm used to shooting "off the tube".  The Scorpion is admittedly just a fun gun.  So this isn't an issue.  There are plenty of well equipped rifles here if something needed to be used in a serious setting. 

*The bonus 3rd thing it does is closely imitate the factory look of the gun.  I quietly enjoy things being as they should be if feasible. 

All of which is on the up and up. 

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »
After reading the 2015 "Open Letter" and the other letters written to specific companies, I can understand both points of view... completely.

The letter written to SB Tactical was to clarify the perspectives of the ATF/NFA and the "2015 Open Letter" on pistol braces and their use ... which would apply to all pistol braces since they were responding TO SB Tactical concerning their concern WITH the 2015 OPEN LETTER.

I totally get it. It should apply to all braces then technically. And I agree with if yer buying a brace to intentionally shoulder it and use it as a stock your skirting / breaking the rules (even if the rules are infringing on our 2nd Ammendmenf rights).

I do think since the ATF/NFA were responding TO the 2015 Open Letter, that the letter they wrote to SB Tactical should technically be a "open letter" since it is directing its attention and concern towards "pistol braces" in general.

Offline Jjason

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 12:51:38 PM »
But sounds more like trying to justify a guilty conscience to me.

Yeah that's where you'd be wrong.  No guilt at all using my firearms however I wish to use them.  :)

Offline lorazepam

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
Is it just me, or is anyone else really tired of govt, and all the nastiness that accompanies it? Maybe I am just getting too crotchety as I get old.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 09:10:37 PM »
Evo full Tailhook adapters are back in stock too... at gear head works and Prepper Gun Shop.

anything