Poll

Standard SP-01 or Shadow 2..?

Standard SP-01 and save a few bucks.
3 (25%)
Shadow 2
7 (58.3%)
Just keep what I have and buy more ammo.
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Standard SP-01 or Shadow 2...?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Rmach

Standard SP-01 or Shadow 2...?
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
I have the CZ itch again. I currently have a matte stainless 75b, black 75b, p-01 and a couple of Tristars. All five are excellent hand guns and are very accurate. However, my Grand Power X-calibur is my most accurate handgun to date so far.  The better factory sights and trigger have a lot to do with that. Anyway, would I be pleasantly surprised with the standard SP-01 or even more surprised with the Shadow 2 since it costs almost twice as much as the regular SP-01.?  The X-calibur ran just under $800 OTD, and I really wonder if the Shadow 2 would be an upgrade when compared to it.
Matte stainless CZ75b, CZ Shadow Orange, CZ P-01, CZ75b, CZ SP-01, Grand Power Xcalibur, Sig P226 SSE, Tristar C-100, P-100

Offline Ruber

Re: Standard SP-01 or Shadow 2...?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:41:10 PM »
Standard SP01 offers no real upgrades over the 75B, just the different frame and night sights.  Still the same gamble on the trigger.

It may feel better in the hand and have a little more heft, but when it comes to pulling the trigger, just the same.

If you are looking for an uplifting experience, get the Shadow.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »
Either go Shadow 2 or send one of your 75s to CGW

Offline nickshawn

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 05:36:28 PM »
I haven't held or shot a Shadow 2 so keep that in mind as I comment below.

I have around $1k in my SP-01 Tactical right now (gun, CGW Pro Package and 10x bushing, not counting the red dot) and I don't see how a Shadow2 could be any better.  Just under 3 lb SA and smooth as silk.

Will I get as close to the invested $$ if I were to sell it as you would if you were selling a Shadow2, probably not. But I'm not planning on ever selling it!

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 08:30:43 PM »
I would suggest tracking down an S2 to hold. I have large hands(xxl gloves) and am very comfortable with a 97B and TS. That said, I also find a standard 75 with factory grips to be almost perfect, even better with the SP-01's improved ergonomics. Yesterday I held a TS Orange and it felt a little... I don't know how to describe it. Maybe compressed is the right word, possibly due to the thumb rest.
Today I held an S2 for the first time thinking it would feel crowded as well. In reality, it felt amazing. Easier reach to the slide stop and the checkering felt great, instant perfection. I thought I was settled on a TSO, but today the S2 gave me that same feeling I had the first time I picked up a CZ. You know, the one where you hear the CZ angels sing. :P

Offline eastman

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:33:42 PM »
There is no option on your poll for "BOTH"   O0
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Raining_Brass

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 09:18:22 PM »
Shadow 2. Easy choice IMO. If we're just talking about stock for stock the S2 blows the standard SP-01 away in every category. Trigger, ergonomics as far as new frame design, longer sight radius, etc. Shadow 2 is a pretty incredible gun right out the box. Like any CZ, it can be made better of course. But it's damn nice as it comes from CZ.

Another thing I always see is people saying just put the money into a Shadow 1 or SP-01 as far as CGW Pro kit, etc. That's all good and fine, but there's some things no amount of upgrading is going to get you when comparing to the Shadow 2. The longer sight radius, the much improved frame design (this, to me, is huge), etc. So at the end of the day, no SP-01 or Shadow 1 can ever be made as good as an S2...IMO.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:08 PM »
Shadow 2. Easy choice IMO. If we're just talking about stock for stock the S2 blows the standard SP-01 away in every category. Trigger, ergonomics as far as new frame design, longer sight radius, etc. Shadow 2 is a pretty incredible gun right out the box. Like any CZ, it can be made better of course. But it's damn nice as it comes from CZ.

Another thing I always see is people saying just put the money into a Shadow 1 or SP-01 as far as CGW Pro kit, etc. That's all good and fine, but there's some things no amount of upgrading is going to get you when comparing to the Shadow 2. The longer sight radius, the much improved frame design (this, to me, is huge), etc. So at the end of the day, no SP-01 or Shadow 1 can ever be made as good as an S2...IMO.
I spent five minutes with one today, and it felt THAT good!

Offline Rocket99

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 11:54:24 PM »
Shoot them both and you will decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 12:30:19 AM »
Pistol accuracy and shooter accuracy with that pistol are two different things for each shooter.

So,  what eastman said works. :)

Most can stay on target better with a heavier pistol.  In addition to the longer bbl and grip changes in the S2,  it's noticeably more front end heavy.

My B is very accurate.  My 75 Shadow with the 10X bushing is also pretty accurate.  Shooter needs work. My Shadow lets me miss shoot a little faster.

I've only held and dry fired the S2,  but the feel in my (small) hands was much better than my B or Shadow. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:43:44 PM by 1SOW »

Offline muncie21

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 08:42:14 PM »
Having shot both (GP X-cal & S2) I think it comes down to shooter preference. 

Both have very good DA/SA triggers. 
Being a rotating barrel the X-cal has a different (very noticeable) recoil impulse than the S2, this could be a + or  -, depending on your preference.  Same goes for the weight, the X-cal is much lighter than the S2- good?/bad?, up to each shooter.

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »
Shadow 2 is a great gun, right out of the box.
Shadow 1 is a great gun, right out of the box.

You can't go wrong with either one. I know people who have sold their 2's because they've felt the weight was just a tad bit too heavy or the trigger pull was simply too light.

I'm enjoying my S1 (with alu grips, lighter springs, and internal polishing) a lot! And I'm really happy I also got the 22LR Kadet 2 to go with it. Might only be a matter of time before the S2 gets its own Kadet.

Being every so slightly smaller makes it (the S1) slightly more doable as a carry piece.
'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
I should have my S2 this afternoon. I've been running an sp-01 Shadow Target for quite a while and I've been really pleased to say the least. So I'll be back to give a report comparing the two.

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »
Ok, shot both the SP-01 Shadow Target and the Shadow 2. My S1 is from Oak hill guns so I don't know exactly who did the 'extra' work on the fire control group but it is way better than the factory fresh S2. Able to put 5 shots in the A box in the head of a USPSA target with both. The S2 is a lot heavier which definitely creates a different feel during target transitions. I have full grip tape on the S1 so the S2 felt a tad bit slippery and of course the S2 grip is not of a handful. I'm on the fence about keeping it but I may give it a chance.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 02:37:23 PM »
In our BE club, yet another long time BE shooter bought a CZ. He was able to get Shadow-2. Nice gun out of the box. He shot it and my CZ75 SP-01 tuned with CGW and CZC parts and noticed better trigger and shorter reset on tuned SP-01. Shadow-2 will still need to be modified to get to that level. After all mods and upgrades, the total cost of SP-01 is still lower then a new stock Shadow-2.
Very nice adjustable sights on Shadow-2 will have to be removed for the RDS mount. Too bad they will not fit standard CZ75 slide without milling it.
Stock Shadow-2 vs Stock SP-01 is a no-brainer. Shadow-2 wins as it already ~95% where you finally want gun to be. Both can be made to 100%, but with Shadow-2 at higher total cost.