Author Topic: CZ 75: Recoil of 9mm vs. .40?  (Read 7953 times)

Offline bricz75

• Greetings all. I own a CZ75B in 9mm.
CZ 75: Recoil of 9mm vs. .40?
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »
I have a CZ 75b in 9mm. How much more does the .40 version recoil?

Offline IDescribe

Re: CZ 75: Recoil of 9mm vs. .40?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:58:32 PM »
It would be easier to predict if you would give us what two loads specifically you want compared, but I suspect you haven't gotten that far.

Why don't you tell us in what use you are imagining this question, and maybe we can answer.  Is this self-defense loads?  Common WWB plinking loads?  Minor power factor action shooting loads? 

Offline bricz75

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 11:26:22 PM »
It would be easier to predict if you would give us what two loads specifically you want compared, but I suspect you haven't gotten that far.

Why don't you tell us in what use you are imagining this question, and maybe we can answer.  Is this self-defense loads?  Common WWB plinking loads?  Minor power factor action shooting loads?

I didn't have particular loads in mind. But lets say a good powered .40 fmj or good powered, but not over the top .40 defensive load compared to Winchester 9mm NATO fmj.

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 11:33:27 PM »

I can tell you plain and simple, it's the same reason so many Law Enforcement Agencies are switching or have switched from carrying .40 to carrying 9mm. It's not a matter of the ,40 having more recoil or not over the 9mm. It's the TYPE of recoil it is. Same with .40 vs .45. With the .40 the recoil tends to flip the muzzle upwards vs straight back into the shooters hands and arms where much of the recoil can be absorbed, resulting in less muzzle flip which decreases the time needed to reacquire the right sight picture, which results in less time needed between follow up shots which results in overall better accuracy. Agencies like the FBI were finding that range qualification scores had markedly decreased since going to the .40. With all the improvements in ballistics qualities and selections available of 9mm, not to mention they're cheaper, they are in the process of switching from the Glock 22 to the Glock 17 or Glock 19. I don't think it will be any coincidence that they'll soon see those qualification scores drastically improved.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 12:27:45 AM »
Recoil of 40SW from the same CZ75B pistol is probably 20-30% stronger, but the worst thing is the recoil feels much sharper to the point that its gets you tired faster and not as pleasant to shoot any more. Recoil on 45ACP is probably 50% stronger but much longer, softer push. I easy can shoot in one session 200-300 rounds of 9mm or soft target 45ACP and don't feel as beaten up as 100-150 rounds of 40SW regular range factory ammo.
My CZ75B 40SW spends most of the time in the safe for HD duty and rarely goes to the range. 22LR, 9mm and 45ACP are on the range every time.
I was thinking of reloading 40cal for softer shooting, but not sure if it worth the effort and my time, since there is no big performance or price advantage.
Unless you need 40cal for specific reason, I would skip it.

Offline bricz75

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 12:51:25 AM »
Recoil of 40SW from the same CZ75B pistol is probably 20-30% stronger, but the worst thing is the recoil feels much sharper to the point that its gets you tired faster and not as pleasant to shoot any more. Recoil on 45ACP is probably 50% stronger but much longer, softer push. I easy can shoot in one session 200-300 rounds of 9mm or soft target 45ACP and don't feel as beaten up as 100-150 rounds of 40SW regular range factory ammo.

Interesting. Thanks for the post. I guess if a person wants a CZ with more power, it's best to go to the CZ 97, although magazines are expensive and they hold 10 rounds compared to Mec-Gar mags available for the CZ 75b .40 that hold 14 rounds, IIRC.

Now I'm wondering how the .40 recoil compares to the standard full powered .357 magnum loads, although that is a revolver. 

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 01:10:55 AM »
Now I'm wondering how the .40 recoil compares to the standard full powered .357 magnum loads, although that is a revolver.

Not nearly as bad.  The 10mm is ballistically a close comparison to the .357.  The .40 is a shortened and less powerful 10mm.

I think recoil is very subjective.  I've never thought of the .40 as that "snappy" of a cartridge, although that's the common phrase associated with it.  To me, a .45 ACP feels like much more recoil. 

A full size, steel framed CZ in .40 will recoil less than a light weight, polymer framed _______.  I don't buy the "polymer flexing soaks up recoil" argument.  YMMV. 

But I'm also weird, so take that for what it's worth.   :o

Offline bricz75

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 01:19:46 AM »

I think recoil is very subjective.  I've never thought of the .40 as that "snappy" of a cartridge, although that's the common phrase associated with it.  To me, a .45 ACP feels like much more recoil. 

A full size, steel framed CZ in .40 will recoil less than a light weight, polymer framed _______.  I don't buy the "polymer flexing soaks up recoil" argument.  YMMV.

About the .40 being snappy and the polymer flexing soaking up recoil, there could be some sort of placebo effect in that a person shooting such a gun expects that phenomena before shooting. The gentleman above apparently has a good amount of experience with the .40, though.

I handle a 1911 in .45 fine.

I guess the best way to understand the CZ 75B in .40 is to actually shoot it, preferable back to back with the 9mm version.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 02:01:04 AM »
I guess the best way to understand the CZ 75B in .40 is to actually shoot it, preferable back to back with the 9mm version.
Yes! See if you can rent it to try. It is very subjective.
Some people swear by it. A lot of action shooters like it because its easy to make a required power factor with decent accuracy.
One of my friends loves to shot 357MAG from a small snub-nose revolver and happy when it hurts his hand. I have messed up right thumb and avoid stressing it unnecessary. It takes a long time to heal after disturbance. 9mm or 45ACP from heavy wide grip of CZ97 is not a problem.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
If you're looking at a full sized pistol, check out a P09 in .40 S&W.  My wife shot mine last year and I had to buy her a CZ 75 Compact in 9MM in order to keep my P09.

Fifteen round of .40 S&W in the factory mags and if you get the +2 extensions it's 17 rounds of .40 S&W.

It will be a heavy pistol with a full magazine.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Ruber

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 10:34:56 AM »
I would add to this that the particular grips and the shooters grip style matter in the 75B.  With thin grips and a high hold, my right thumb gets beat up at that 100-160 rounds of warm ammo.  With thick grips and a lower hold, the gun is comfortable to shoot for a full range session.

40 is a great round if you load your own, great flexibility, and can be really fun too.  The 75B is a great platform for the 40, the SA a bit better, and the 40B even better at making the round fun to shoot (I wish they still made the 40B).

Now...  if you are shooting bulk or mid range off the shelf ammo, you might not notice much difference.  My local range has +P 9mm and soft 40 as the cheap stuff, so using that, they feel pretty much the same.

I don't load hot hot ammo, but keep my loads pretty close to saami  max (no +p 9, plenty of max load 40).  Comparing those, that 20-30% seems spot on.

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »
I had a 75 in 40 for a while, it's recoil wasn't objectionable with 165gr loads, and I shot it fairly well in my IDPA matches. That said, other 40s I've had (HK, XDM, Glock23) all have a noticeable snappiness that I did not enjoy.

I ended up dumping all my 40s, as I have too many calibers to stock & reload for. That said, my CZ was in my safe the longest as it managed the 40 recoil the best.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Joe L

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »
I have had .40 and .357SIG barrels in a SIG P-226.  I never warmed up to a .40, always liked the .357 SIG, but stick to 9mm and .45.  A CZ-97 in .45 shoots "softer" to me than a 9mm CZ-75B.  A .40 has a pretty sharp unpleasant recoil in a steel gun.  Any polymer CZ in 9mm is very pleasant to shoot.  I haven't shot a polymer .40 other than the 17 oz Kahr PM-40 in the video below. 

I shoot this little hand canon suprisingly well, but it will beat your wrists to death.  I carry it though.  I just don't practice more than 10-20 rounds per month.  A CM/PM-9 in a Kahr is fine.   

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline dubbltap

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 04:59:04 PM »
.40 will be a little bit harder/sharper recoil, but not bad in a all metal full-size pistol.  My glock 23 doesn't get fired much as it just isn't enjoyable to shoot.  Maybe if my paws were bigger and get a better grip on it.
I decided to try the SP-01 tact. in .40 and was surprised how well the recoil was soaked up, especially w/ a light attached.  Had no issues after putting 100 rounds thru it, where as the Glock, I would just shake my head and say "Thank God I'm done w/ this box of ammo"!
Not to start a "which is a better round" war, but for me:
9mm:  Great for Compacts(concealed carry/home defense) and range use(all sizes).
.40 use w/ full/semi-compact all metal pistol for home defense and range use.
.45 Officer thru full size(great for conceal carry, home defense and range use.

CZ 1911a1/75D Compact PCR/SP-01 tacticool .40*
DW Guardian/Colt GCNM/BHP/S&W 686/Ruger SP101

Offline Ruber

CZ 75: Recoil of 9mm vs. .40?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
A .40 has a pretty sharp unpleasant recoil in a steel gun.  Any polymer CZ in 9mm is very pleasant to shoot.  I haven't shot a polymer .40 other than the 17 oz Kahr PM-40 in the video below. 

Since I got my 75B in .40, my FNP-40 and G22 have been to the range once.  75B is a dream to shoot compared to either of those, at least in my hands.

Weight and grip shape are big factors.  Maybe with equally weighted and shaped guns, polymer has a softer feel, I just haven't seen such a thing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:00:37 PM by Ruber »

anything