Author Topic: CZ 75: Recoil of 9mm vs. .40?  (Read 7957 times)

Offline bang bang

Re: CZ 75: Recoil of 9mm vs. .40?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »
I have a CZ 75b in 9mm. How much more does the .40 version recoil?

if you have any gun rental places in your area, i would just go and shoot something.   if youre lucky you will find a CZ in 40.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »
I find the full power .40 sharper and more pronounced than a 9mm but in the CZ 75 or the P-09 not at all unpleasant to shoot. The loudness of the report has a lot to do with perceived recoil and the full out .40's are loud. However, when shooting the .40 at the Production power factor around 130 it is actually softer than the 9mm at the same level when using a heavy bullet and fast burning powder. It's loud and sharp but in most full sized guns not unpleasant to shoot.

Offline asimonp79

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »
Usually, during the traiining   I shoot 2 pistols
CZ TS 9x19
CZ TS 40SW
both with factory ammo.
Now the fact that the both of the pistol have either DPM or SPRINCO recoil reducer helps a lot.
Especially sprinco- great product
I sue it on CZ TS for the last 5 years- very satisfied. The ammo is SB180gr or MAgtech 180Gr.
The gun is heavy- helps with recoil and with correct recoil spring you do feel the difference , but not that much.

My wife shot the 40SW and told me that it is not that much of a big deal

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 05:10:38 PM »
Usually, during the traiining   I shoot 2 pistols
CZ TS 9x19
CZ TS 40SW
both with factory ammo.
Now the fact that the both of the pistol have either DPM or SPRINCO recoil reducer helps a lot.
Especially sprinco- great product
I sue it on CZ TS for the last 5 years- very satisfied. The ammo is SB180gr or MAgtech 180Gr.
The gun is heavy- helps with recoil and with correct recoil spring you do feel the difference , but not that much.

My wife shot the 40SW and told me that it is not that much of a big deal

The gun is heavy?  It sure is.  That is the first thing that catches my attention when I'm handling mine.  Man, this is heavy.  Then the size (barrel/slide length and grip size/feel in my hand) are next.  I put mine on the scale.  With a loaded magazine in it the scale showed 3 lbs. 7.16 oz.  I wonder if one in the chamber would have made it 3.5 lbs?

The tactical sport is an okay range gun, but I'd be looking for something else if I was going to carry it all day.  And I'd have to buy some suspenders to help keep my belt around my waist and not my knees/ankles (hard to do a fast draw when you've got to bend over to get a grip on the pistol.

I'll be it shoots good though, doesn't it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
The load your shooting will make big differences.
A little test on my ,75b was loading some 95 gr Sierra bullets to mid range loads,  did the same with 115gr and 124 gr.
I shot the 124,  then the 115 and last the 95gr..
  Wow!  That 95 gr bullet recoiled way more than the heavier weight bullets all at mid range loads in the same pistol.

I've only shot the much heavier STI 40 Cal,  but recoil at major power factor was no more than I was used to in my 9mm CZs.   I suspect/guess that the 40 Cal CZ wouldn't feel much if any more recoil using 165-180 gr bullets with loads in the approximately same "load range" as the 9mm.  Might even be less recoil..

Offline bricz75

• Greetings all. I own a CZ75B in 9mm.
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 10:30:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies, all.

Offline handgun2

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
Ok, gotta chime in.  w/ respect to all.

Recoil is 'subjective" BUT HEAVILY INFLUENCED by objective information.  My VERY first HANDGUN was a CZ in .40.   I found it easy to shoot! highly reliable, super accurate! ( when I did my part).   then, hmmmm, I bought 3 others in same caliber FAST,  I have NOT FOUND .40 S&W to 'be more snappy, or all that different")  that would upset my equal love of a .45 and 9mm (CZ).  It's NOT all that different.. Recoil is recoil..  everybody is different in response..  but I will say.. I find all my handguns  are different (but NOT a huge issue).. meaning, I don't think prior to shooting my .40 is "snappier",  if I did,  I suspect, I 'would"!   thus sublimal influence is HUGE, especially to a newer shooter. if YOU THINK ,  HARD! ..  that is the usual response.. again. I have purchased 3 .40's in @ yrs..  never looked back.. and ALL JUST as ACCURATE as a anything else. period.

my humble opinion,
K in MI

Offline Ruber

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 07:41:55 PM »
Could someone define "snappy"

Offline dubbltap

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 08:02:30 PM »

Faster, quicker recoil impulse. 
CZ 1911a1/75D Compact PCR/SP-01 tacticool .40*
DW Guardian/Colt GCNM/BHP/S&W 686/Ruger SP101

Offline Ruber

CZ 75: Recoil of 9mm vs. .40?
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »

Are people using it that way?  Or are they also thinking increased noise, muzzle blast, etc. 

I've heard people use the term all the time, but in apples to apples comparison (load data wise), I have not seen it or felt it.

Anyway, I enjoy shooting CZ's in both 9 & .40, :D

Offline dubbltap

Offline Ruber

CZ 75: Recoil of 9mm vs. .40?
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 08:42:37 PM »
Post #4 by Gasmitty explains it well:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/144990-understanding-recoil-9mm-versus-40-s-w.html
Ya, he has a good explanation up to the last sentence then went off to that "well I'm just gonna say it cause everyone else on the web does" territory.

To come out and say one cartridge is snappier than another without examining how the guns are configured or what loads you are using seems kinda illusory.

Seems to me its a gestalt thing, but I also think a lot of people dismiss cartridges after shooting them once...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:52:29 PM by Ruber »

Offline dubbltap

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 10:48:53 PM »

Are people using it that way?  Or are they also thinking increased noise, muzzle blast, etc. 

I've heard people use the term all the time, but in apples to apples comparison (load data wise), I have not seen it or felt it.

Anyway, I enjoy shooting CZ's in both 9 & .40, :D

I also enjoy shooting my all metal SP-01 in .40, however, I do not enjoy shooting it w/ my polymer Glock 23. 
Maybe you have not felt it, or maybe, you have no feeling(s). :D ;)

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 11:22:55 PM »
The question itself has an inherent problem -- we don't feel the caliber or cartridge recoil.  We feel the pistol recoil.  You might think that's splitting hairs, but the truth is that people's impressions of how a "caliber" recoils has as much or more to do with what pistol they are most accustomed to shooting it in. For example, I HATE the internet cliche about the .40 S&W being snappy and the .45ACP being more of a slow push.  With the rise of the .40S&W following pretty closely on the heels of the rise of the polymer pistol, it's a good bet that most people are familiar with the .40 through polymer pistols, the Glock 22, in particular.  That's a 23oz pistol.  Given that the 1911 is the best sold pistol in history, and most 1911 pistols are made in .45ACP, it's safe to assume that the collective shooting public's impression of how a .45ACP recoils comes primarily from experience with the 1911.  That's a 39oz pistol, more than 50% heavier than a full-size Glock.  Recoil is recoil energy, and pistol mass mitigates recoil energy.  Heavier pistols recoil less given similar muzzle energy.

So the .40 is snappy while the .45 feels more like a slow push?  Really?  ;)   A .40S&W pistol load that produces about 400 foot-pounds of energy through a 23oz polymer pistol feels snappier than this .45 ACP load that produces about 400 foot-pounds of energy through a 39oz all-steel pistol?  You think??   :o  :o  :o     ;)  ;)  ;)

I know the OP asked about 9 vs .40 in the same pistol.  But the above illustrates that calibers don't recoil a certain way.  In the case of 9mm minor power factor, in the same basic pistol, a light 9mm bullet will recoil more than a heavy .40 bullet at the same power factor.  Change the application, and change load preferences, and the .40 recoils more.   There's so much more to the question than caliber.

A good question on this subject might be whether or not you are likely to run into a recoil issue with .40S&W that would hinder your shooting ability.  To that, I would refer you to USPSA Limited, where people are shooting .40 at major power factor, and they're shooting it fast.  I don't expect people to shoot with the recoil management of the top shooters -- I certainly can't -- but when you look at some of these guys shooting .40 at major power factor, you have to wonder -- what was I worried about?  If you need an example, check this guy out.  Is there anything in this video that would make someone think .40 recoil is a significant problem? 

edited to fix embarrassing word choice error  ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:26:59 AM by IDescribe »

Offline eastman

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 11:24:04 PM »

especially when accompanied by extra muzzle flip
I don't look like my avatar!

anything