Author Topic: Pistols and sights  (Read 654 times)

Offline WVNed

Pistols and sights
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
I have a couple or 3 pistols that shoot really low at 10 yards. My M&P Pro is one of them and I changed the front sight with a new Dawson front. The internet is full of responses that this is normal and the POA and POI will come together at 25 yards.

I dont see how that is possible.
From shooting AR-15s and mounting all kinds of sights on them and other rifles I learned HOB ( Height Over Bore) affects how you hold a rifle to hit targets at distance other than the sighted in distance. You also consider HOB in battle sighting a rifle so you know a bullet fired from it will have a POI somewhere between 2 inches low to 2 inches high from POA at any range out to 250 yards.

Pistols have a small HOB compared to a rifle so I dont see how one could ever shoot lower than the HOB amount at close ranges yet still converge at some farther distance. If the bullet leaves the barrel 1 inch below the line of sight at the muzzle and rises to cross the line of sight at 25 yards how can it be 3 inches low at 10 yards?
WHAHOOOoooooooooo

Offline The Conservative

Re: Pistols and sights
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
It can't.  If it is shooting 3" low at 10 yards expect it to be about 6 to 8 inches low at 25.  To get it to shoot to point of aim you will need a lower front sight and/or taller rear sight.
“The projectiles need to go where they will make the guy leak the quickest.  Your goal is to depressurize the circulatory system – let air in, let fluid out. Bonus points for any other disruptions, but don’t count on them.”   Pat Rogers

Offline WVNed

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:38:38 AM »
I went from a .180 front on the M&P to a .155. This seems to have fixed it. That is a pretty drastic change though.
WHAHOOOoooooooooo

Offline aguila9

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »
Sounds like an issue in the shooting of the weapon. Even though you shoot other weapons fine that drastic of a POA/POI difference is usually related to the weapon/shooter interface. Considering that you addressed the sight height thats about the only thing it can be unless your range is over a gravatic anomaly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk