Author Topic: Live from the pistol range 75B target shooting.  (Read 212 times)

Offline longgonedaddy

Live from the pistol range 75B target shooting.
« on: July 16, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »
It is hot and humid out here today...something not quite right with the pistol...or maybe the shooter...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:23:00 PM by longgonedaddy »

Offline longgonedaddy

Re: Live from the pistol range 75B target shooting.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
Here's the sum of the 100 shots.  Had problems breaking my wrist and not keeping the recoil down.  Obviously I wasn't really pulling the trigger straight back today
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:38:38 PM by longgonedaddy »

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
Are you aiming 6 o'clock or center of target?
Is you hand as high on the grip as it goes? Where are the thumbs? Can you take a picture of your hold and trigger finger position from the left side?
The consistency is almost there, but hold may correct the elevation errors.

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »
This has always been a 6 o'clock POA pistol.  My two handed grip is usually very good.  Yes, I tuck up under the beaver tail tightly and both thumbs point down the barrel with my right thumb over my left thumb.  There are shots off to the left at first.  I remember putting more pressure on with my left hand to correct that.  Maybe I started to force the shots up with that extra pressure?

the 75B  hasn't been fired since February '16 and I don't remember the last time it was cleaned.  I really need to break it down, give it a good cleaning, and lube it correctly.  Then I'll head back to the range with it and try some shots from a hand rest first and see how it goes. 

It's also got the 10X CGW bushing so I don't think the barrel lock up is a problem.

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
Brought the pistol back out today.  Freshly cleaned and lubed.  Saw basically the same results.  I'm thinking my sights are set for more like10 yds and are too high for 25 yds.  Have to measure the front sight and compare that to the distance my shots are off to see if there is any room for improvement there.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:05:52 PM by longgonedaddy »

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:32:20 PM »
In the two years I've had this pistol there have been 5,500 rds shot through it.  The front sight is .150".  So it is set up more for 10 yard shooting. 

Based on Dawson Precision's site I'll need a .170" to better hit the bullseye at 25 yards.  Luckily, I have a .170" in my parts stash.  Just have to find time to swap out front sights and see if I get on target better at 25 yards.

Or maybe I just wait for CGW to get their adjustable rear sight ready for sale and try that instead...  :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:35:10 PM by longgonedaddy »

anything