Author Topic: Trigger snob? Sometimes it's hard not to be  (Read 1073 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Trigger snob? Sometimes it's hard not to be
« on: July 16, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
I don't usually think of myself as a trigger snob.

Sure, I like a nice crisp consistent trigger.  I believe it makes it easier to shoot nice groups, or hit that small target I'm shooting at.

Have you ever "changed" your mind about a trigger?  By change I mean you have a gun, or three, with triggers you perfectly happy with, for awhile.  Then something happened that made you realize that maybe the triggers just weren't really that smooth.

I read lots of posts from folks with P07's and P09's and I think how lucky I am that mine are what they are.  And that the pull prior to release is so consistent and easy to feel.

But, yesterday, when I was dry firing the P07 (3&1/4 lb. SA trigger pull with a very good release) something was "different".  I only dry fired it 15 times with the MantisX on the rail, but after I put it away, there was still something there that was giving me an "itch."

Later, in the evening, if finally jumped up and made itself known.

I haven't fired the P07 for awhile.  I have taken the old TS .40 S&W to the range twice.  That's what was bothering me.  In no way, shape or form is the P07 close to the TS.  No way.  Never will be.  Not made for it, etc., etc., etc.

I'm not going to try to make the P07 compete with the TS.  Not spending the money or the time.

I'm hoping that when I shoot the P07 I won't be thinking about the Tactical Sport.

Anyone else run into that with your handguns (or rifles?)

Really, it's the same with some of my rifles.  In my AR15's I've got RRA match triggers, one Giselle (don't remember all the letters that determines the model) and another one I can't even remember the name of all mixed in with standard triggers.  I can tell the difference when I shoot them.  Some are so bad that after a few range sessions I just go ahead and order a better trigger/hammer set up for them.  When you come off a range session and the end of your trigger finger is tender from having to force that trigger to stay back between shots you've got to do something. 

But I'm still not bothered enough with the "so-so" triggers that I plan to buy better triggers for them.

It's the pistols that really stand out, for me.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Tok36

Re: Trigger snob? Sometimes it's hard not to be
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »
It seams to me that the weight of the TS trigger (Aprox. 2lb in Factory stock config) is a significant contributor to its feel. At this weight for me this is too low for anything but range/sport use. I aim for around a 3.5lb SA when tuning my 75 variants to keep them comfortable for all around use. My P-09's SA came in at around the same weight as my 75s but is not as clean due either its design or the amount of work i have done on it. I have not finished working on the P-09 yet so it may see more improvement in time. As of now i question weather the P-series have the same potential as the 75s much less the TS. I still have allot to learn about the P-series but as of now they do not give me what the 75s do in allot of ways. The TS sits to the side of my other CZ off on its own. It is still in stock config and i am unclear if i will do much tuning on it, need more trigger time.

I guess i do not really compare the TS to my other CZs i see it as a different animal.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »
At the same pull weight, the TS trigger feel is still different than even a well tuned 75(to me anyway). I chased that feel with one of my pre-b's(TS hammer) and got oh so close but not quite there. It feels just fine at the range though.
 The P-07/09 rolling break just doesn't work me, which is why I sold my P-09. Mine had a comp legal hammer, maybe the Cajun hammer is more crisp.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:23:01 PM »
First real pistol I owned was a Ruger SR9c. I worked on the trigger but it had real limits with aftermarket support. Ultimately I couldn't get the reset to be any better. Then I fondled a 1911 and I was utterly disgusted with my SR9c trigger. I researched a bunch and wanted a double stack 1911 but those are pricey. This lead me to threads about converting CZ 75 's to SAO and tuning them like 1911's. Well... I stumbled across the Tactical Sport and I was enchanted. I saved up and got one. I put the CZ Competition Hammer in it and loved it! I dry fired a bunch so I became accustomed to the trigger.

All that bring said, I became a trigger snob! I'm completely at home with 2 lb triggers from that pistol and my proceeding CZ pistols I cleaned up.

It hasn't been until recently (as I started practicing again) that I found the better way for me to squeeze with my strong hand. This led to better trigger finger placement. That - coupled with dry fire DA practice - and I can quickly and accurately shoot DA. Meaning I can handle heavy and long triggers. Am I less of a snob... Not really, but I can adjust.

Just a warning to all those who read this thread. The Tactical Sport, Tactical Sport Orange, Czech Mate, and well done 1911 triggers can cause a paradigm shift in how you view triggers. i.e. You'll either be ruined or have to mentally categorize them differently than other pistols, like Tok36 suggests.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline The Conservative

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 04:50:18 PM »

Just a warning to all those who read this thread. The Tactical Sport, Tactical Sport Orange, Czech Mate, and well done 1911 triggers can cause a paradigm shift in how you view triggers. i.e. You'll either be ruined or have to mentally categorize them differently than other pistols, like Tok36 suggests.

This...

I am getting up in age and 95+ percent of my shooting has been with 1911s with very nicely tuned triggers.  Even my defensive 1911s have very crisp 3 to 3.5 pound triggers.  I use to think that I was quite accomplished in the area of trigger control.  When I switched to double stacked 9s I was rudely awoken and came to the realization that my skill level was far below where I though it was.  For years I had been leaning on a 1911 crutch and basically cheated my way past learning proper trigger control.  Now school is in session and I have a ways to go.
“The projectiles need to go where they will make the guy leak the quickest.  Your goal is to depressurize the circulatory system – let air in, let fluid out. Bonus points for any other disruptions, but don’t count on them.”   Pat Rogers

Offline 808

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 09:34:44 PM »
I don't have any really "nice" triggers. I started back shooting with Glocks and got really used to them. When I got my Sig I put some trigger time into it but still felt at home with the Glock. When I got my 75B and started tinkering with the trigger things started to "shift". I did some work on the Sig trigger and got it pretty smooth. Suddenly my Glocks weren't quite living up to the new hotness that was happening. I was going to take the 75B to the next step which would have been the CGW Race hammer and reach reduction when I had to stop and think. I'm becoming a trigger snob (low level). I'm not competing and all I'm doing is making my other pistols feel foreign. This make any sense?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 07:26:53 AM »
Makes sense for sure. Glock have a pretty good reset. If they are smooth or you polish the contact points it may not ruin you to get the CGW goodies. I don't like the camming with the stock CZ hammers in SA. I'm about to go shooting with some buddies and one has a glock. I'll give it a whirl to refresh my memory. See if it would ruin me trigger wise to go between the two. Sorta like driving my 6 cylinder Subaru Outback compared to my 4 cylinder Honda Accord. I still drive em both.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 07:30:26 AM »
808, I know what you mean.

I've been really happy with my old P07 trigger.  3&1/4 lb. SA pull.  Pulls back smoothly, you can feel the first little resistance when the firing pin block starts to be lifted, then feel it stop when the firing pin block is up and the next little movement will cause the sear to release the hammer.  It's a really nice trigger.  I've bragged on it a lot.

Then I got the Tactical Sport.  Whoops!  Dropped the hammer again.  Oh, there's the stopping point in trigger rearward movement.  Yeah, nice, really nice.

I got the P07 down the other day, unloaded it, checked again to make sure it was unloaded and put the MantisX on it.  Wait a minute...what's wrong?  The trigger is dragging, the trigger is heavy, the trigger.....what's going on?  This is my P07.  The best trigger I've had on a gun in the last five or six years (since I starting moving away from the 1911 - low magazine capacity - to the double stack plastic framed pistols) and suddenly it doesn't feel so great.

I do not want to start spending money on all my CZ's trying to make the triggers like the Tactical Sport.  They'll never get there and that money will buy more reloading components and maybe another CZ or three.  But the "urge" to improve the triggers is there and the feeling that they don't measure up (to the Tactical Sport) will be there.  I'll just have to live with it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?