Author Topic: IDPA SSP: SP-01 Tactical vs Phantom?  (Read 561 times)

Offline singlewhitemale

IDPA SSP: SP-01 Tactical vs Phantom?
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »
Does the new Phantom's polymer address some of the mag-drop issues of the older phantom?  Will Mec-Gars drop free now?
Or should I plan on running an SP-01 Tactical in IDPA?

Currently running a P-01 for CCP Division, but I run an HK VP9 in SSP.  The VP9 has been a great gun, but I feel like I'm cheating on my true love.

Offline Rittmeister

Re: IDPA SSP: SP-01 Tactical vs Phantom?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:39:25 PM »
I realize this is an older thread... BUT - I'm curious about this also.  I had an original SP01 Phantom and one of the main reasons I sold it off (despite REALLY liking it) was that my Mec-Gar 16-round blued mags would not drop free from the mag well.  I wasn't willing to re-stock my mag supply with OEM CZ mags at much higher cost than the Mec Gars.

If the new Phantom addresses this issue, I could very well be back in the market.  Any info gratefully received.

Offline KYCZP

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »
I sold my original Phantom for the same reason. I bought a 2017 version after learning about the polymer change.
The Mec-Gar 17rd mags do drop free.
https://mec-gar.com/store/product_detail/cz-75b-85b-sp-01-shadow-9mm-17-high-cap-flush-fit-anti-friction

Offline Rittmeister

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
I sold my original Phantom for the same reason. I bought a 2017 version after learning about the polymer change.
https://mec-gar.com/store/product_detail/cz-75b-85b-sp-01-shadow-9mm-17-high-cap-flush-fit-anti-friction

Thanks!

Any clue about the blued 16-round MecGars?  That's what I had trouble with.  I don't have any of the 17round anti-friction mags (yet).

Offline KYCZP

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 07:46:13 AM »

Thanks!

Any clue about the blued 16-round MecGars?  That's what I had trouble with.  I don't have any of the 17round anti-friction mags (yet).

I no longer have any of those to test. One might assume that since the 17 rounders should have a larger body than the 16 rounders, the 16 rounders should drop free also. But we all know what they say about assumptions.

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »
I have a new SP-01 Phantom and have tried several OEM and different mecgars (including 16’s & 17’s) and they all drop free. CZ advertises that they changed the formulation of the polymer so from where I am sitting, they fixed the issue. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:35:01 AM by Atomic Punk »