Author Topic: Any trick to staking a P-01 35 Retaining Screw?  (Read 320 times)

Offline singlewhitemale

Any trick to staking a P-01 35 Retaining Screw?
« on: July 16, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »
Did a complete disassembly of my P-01 to remove all the frog lube from every crevice of the gun.  Reassembled and all was well until about stage 6 in my State Championship IDPA Match, when things started misbehaving.  It wasn't until after the match that I realized exactly what was wrong.

Anyway, I need to stake it down.  Any advice?  Specific tools required?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Any trick to staking a P-01 35 Retaining Screw?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
If it was me, I'd remove the grips and squirt the crud with some brake cleaner.  When the black/dirty crud stops running out, inspect it to see if you missed any.  If you did, squirt it again.  Then spray some oil on it (the only thing I used rem-oil for - to get some oil back on the metal surfaces) and put the grips back on it.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline singlewhitemale

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:20:53 AM »
Oh, Yeah, I basically did that to clean it out, but decided to go the distance with it to be sure.  It wasn't until I had reassembled everything that I realized the screw needed staking.

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:08:43 AM »
I've used an automatic center punch to stake that screw.  I really hate the idea of having to stake a screw in a handgun though and did the locktite route on one of my CZs.  It has not come loose since and it's been well shot over the course of a year.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:26:08 AM »
The P01 got an aluminum frame, so while it should deform (staking) easier than a steel frame it still spooks me to think about hammering on a punch into the aluminum frame.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.