Author Topic: CZ-made aluminum guide rod  (Read 635 times)

Offline dshoub

CZ-made aluminum guide rod
« on: July 17, 2017, 12:22:11 PM »
Has anyone else here purchased the aluminum guide rod sold on CZ's official webstore?
http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/465700000503_Recoil-Spring-Guide-Alum-Compact97
If you have purchased this, did yours have two shiny divots on opposite sides of the rod near the base? I purchased one and mine has the divots. It looks like its from being connected to something in a mold, but this is usually the sort of thing you'd see on plastic, not metal. I'm wondering if mine is damaged/defective, or if they're all like this.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Morbid1X

Re: CZ-made aluminum guide rod
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 02:19:16 AM »
Not aluminum, it's for compacts with aluminum frames and the cz 97. It's plastic

Offline dshoub

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 02:43:32 AM »
Not aluminum, it's for compacts with aluminum frames and the cz 97. It's plastic
You are incorrect.
And considering the fact that I said in my initial post that I purchased this guide rod and have it in hand, it's rather silly for you to try and tell me it's made of a different material when I literally have the thing in my possession.

Offline nickshawn

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:18:22 AM »
You are incorrect.
And considering the fact that I said in my initial post that I purchased this guide rod and have it in hand, it's rather silly for you to try and tell me it's made of a different material when I literally have the thing in my possession.

For the win....

Can't answer your question right now because I'm out of town but I don't remember mine have any type of indention. Memory is weak though...

Offline dshoub

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
You are incorrect.

For the win....

Can't answer your question right now because I'm out of town but I don't remember mine have any type of indention. Memory is weak though...
Hehe, lots of folks want to show off their "knowledg," but most seem to neglect to check facts before posting/speaking.

No worries. I actually called CZ later on in the day because I noticed the rod wasn't perfectly straight (not good when using a metal guide rod) and was told that even though they sell it, they actually do NOT recommend using it, even in the steel framed guns, because the design of the recoil is such that the rod needs to be able to flex. Returning it due to it being a defective rod, but on the advice of the CZ rep I won't be ordering a new one.

Offline nickshawn

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 01:33:19 PM »
Interesting. I took the one in my P01 out but left the one in my steel framed compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dshoub

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
Interesting. I took the one in my P01 out but left the one in my steel framed compact.

Yeah I thought it was rather curious myself. I mean if we shouldn't use it, why sell it? The guy I spoke with said he didn't have an answer for why they started offering them (and frankly I appreciated his honesty), but his theory was that people really wanted it. Go figure. I actually just sent my CZ off to CajunGunWorks last week, so when I get the call that my gun is on the bench I think I'll pick their brain about it and see what they think.

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »
Odd. I have read a few threads about the evils of metal guide rods yet my canik cz clone with aluminum frame comes with a steel guide rod. The two guns are damn near identical so i dont get it. Did the older cz's come with a plastic or stubby guide rod?

Having said that i have had several 1911's that just had the stub and worked as designed.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 01:01:09 AM »

Yeah I thought it was rather curious myself. I mean if we shouldn't use it, why sell it? The guy I spoke with said he didn't have an answer for why they started offering them (and frankly I appreciated his honesty), but his theory was that people really wanted it. Go figure. I actually just sent my CZ off to CajunGunWorks last week, so when I get the call that my gun is on the bench I think I'll pick their brain about it and see what they think.

I've had this conversation with David and he was funny! Afterwards I had him send me the plastic Shadow guide rod for my SP-01... CZC and CGW steel guide rods will work, just make sure to use the right recoil spring for your ammo. But since I didn't need more weight and there was no benefit beyond the weight I stopped  using mine.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)