Author Topic: Trigger pin walking  (Read 300 times)

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
Trigger pin walking
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
Was out at the range and had a great time and about 5 minutes ago I decided to wipe the gun down and discovered that my Trigger pin had nearly walked out. Gun has maybe 300 rds through it. I have the tools to just push it back in but .. I am pretty sure that shouldnt happen so is there something additional I should do when I put it back down.

I had read somewhere here to put a drop of oil on the trigger return spring which I did last time I cleaned it which was just before this last range visit. I dont recall noticing the pin walking when I cleaned it last week so I am assuming it all happened today. Its out about 4mm

Is there a better part, is there something else I should do other than tap it back into place. Its my carry piece and of course needs to be as reliable as I can make it.

Offline tman

Re: Trigger pin walking
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »
I have a CGW floating pin in my SP01 tactical with no issues. 

https://cajungunworks.com/product/tr-pin-cgws-exclusive-floating-trigger-pin/

As mentioned in a prior thread it can "walk" a bit to the side by its design but will not come out.   

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=89031.0

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »
thanks Tman .. I took a look. Cant remember whaat gun it was in .. maybe a witness match I had but there was a similar setup. The spring sits in the notch so the pin cant go left or right unless you compress the spring from the inside. It is kind of fool proof.

Off to order my pin... I read up on flaring the off end of the tube but I am guaranteed to mar my gun doing it.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 05:16:51 PM »
I'd suggest ordering a couple extra trigger return springs to make the shipping cost worthwhile. Maybe even a few other "while you're in there's".

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 05:18:08 PM »
I'd suggest ordering a couple extra trigger return springs to make the shipping cost worthwhile. Maybe even a few other "while you're in there's".

dude I almost bought the damn race hammer kit!!!! I gotta get outta there as fast as possible   ;D

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »
Has this gun by chance had the trigger pin remove/replaced previously? That appears to be a stock/factory pin and those need to be staked/mushroomed over on both ends to stay in place otherwise they will leave the scene.

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:50:29 PM »
Has this gun by chance had the trigger pin remove/replaced previously? That appears to be a stock/factory pin and those need to be staked/mushroomed over on both ends to stay in place otherwise they will leave the scene.

I bought it new and received it in a sealed box and I havent done anything to it but grips and a front sight so it came from the factory that way. One side is smushed flat and the other side is even with the frame. It looks like the end sticking up was peened to much not leaving enough room to peen the other side. I could probably make it work. I have a more pointed punch and if I could manage to set a punch or some other metal under the mushroomed side I could get my punch into the small hole in the middle on the off side. I dont have enough material to mushroom but I could expand the pin in the hole some and that would probably do it.

But ... CGW usually ships pretty fast and for 25 bucks I get a pin I know will stay put and I got two backup springs. I know these are not hand built customs so screwing up a peen on a trigger pin is not the worst thing in the world. I am just glad I caught it before it happened at an inopportune time or after the hammer fell out. I can now use the pin that is in there as the slave so it will be much easier than if the thing disassembled.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:21:57 PM »

I bought it new and received it in a sealed box and I havent done anything to it but grips and a front sight so it came from the factory that way. One side is smushed flat and the other side is even with the frame. It looks like the end sticking up was peened to much not leaving enough room to peen the other side. I could probably make it work. I have a more pointed punch and if I could manage to set a punch or some other metal under the mushroomed side I could get my punch into the small hole in the middle on the off side. I dont have enough material to mushroom but I could expand the pin in the hole some and that would probably do it.

But ... CGW usually ships pretty fast and for 25 bucks I get a pin I know will stay put and I got two backup springs. I know these are not hand built customs so screwing up a peen on a trigger pin is not the worst thing in the world. I am just glad I caught it before it happened at an inopportune time or after the hammer fell out. I can now use the pin that is in there as the slave so it will be much easier than if the thing disassembled.

This is certainly the first time I've seen that happen.Normally guys are screaming because that peened trigger pin won't come out. At least yours is already free and easily replaced with the CGW reuseable pin.

anything