Author Topic: Just fitted my new Kadet  (Read 666 times)

Offline sberres

Just fitted my new Kadet
« on: July 17, 2017, 09:41:39 PM »
Last week I picked up a new Kadet from GAG for <$400 shipped.  I hadn't really given it much thought until I started doing some reading on this site. I got it fitted to my 75 omega convertible nice  and snug in about 10 minutes. It required a few file strokes in both locations. With the supplied stops only one would lock the slide back on an empty mag.
 After a quick manual test I gave it a quick swab/wipe and some fresh oil to the rails. Man this thing feels good!  I will be modifying a mag loader pretty darn quick, though!  I figured I'd try out the worst first and grabbed a box of Cheap Federal target rounds. Just simple, unplated lead rounds. I fully expected some feeding problems.  A couple of double feeds/stovepipes thru the first hundred rounds but that was about it.  Primer strikes look solid and I only expect it to do better with a higher grade of ammo.  There were no lock back issues.  The thing is a tack driver when I settle in on it and a damn good plinker without trying.
  Like I said, it wasn't my original intent with the CZ acquisition but it really adds a new dimension to an already terrific gun.   

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: Just fitted my new Kadet
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:46:03 PM »
Congrats. Mine really likes cheap ammo too.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline sberres

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:37:41 AM »
I've really been enjoying the Kadet, its diet of lower cost ammo, lower noise in the backyard, and general shooting characteristics. I can certainly see where loading is a pain and even one FTE with every other mag gets a bit frustrating.
  I modded the uplula after reading the suggestions here and that fixes one problem. I have not gone out and gotten as many varieties of 22lr as I can possibly find because I feel that it should do reasonably well with most standard velocity rounds. When it comes to bouncing cans, chipping paint, or poking holes for the hell of it I'm cheap and really don't want to throw premium rounds for such purposes.
  So I revisited the ejector tip mods thread and got the file out. I can't believe how a subtle change like that could make such a big impact but it sure did. At least in the first go-round and using the same Remington golden bullet ammo that was hanging up at least once in every other mag the previous day, after a bit of filing I had one FTE in 10 mags.
  None of this is end of the world as this is solely for range fun. But it is more fun when things work better. And for whatever anybody may have to say about how it should be perfect from the factory all I can say is that I appreciate factory manufacture that can be satisfactorily tuned and optimized by the end user. And this forum is a big help toward that end.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:32:26 PM »
Glad to hear you're getting your KADET running more reliably
They can be a testing at times
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

Offline The Guardian

• Always watching...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:59:06 PM »
CZ's with Kadet's attached are an under-appreciated part of the CZ experience and family of firearms.......the kits can be a bit finicky, but once straightened out.......they are just plain FUN!!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:00:49 AM by The Guardian »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
I like mine so much I have it on a dedicated frame  :)

Offline Ruber

Just fitted my new Kadet
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 11:26:05 PM »
Very cool!  Just got mine from GAG, fitted it last night and got it to the range after work today.

Mine is residing on my 40 S&W frame from a few years back, very fun pistol!

Very reliable on this set up so far.  Still need to dial it in, but it groups well so far.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:33:27 PM »
Looks like a great set-up Ruber
Enjoy   8)

Offline K3JB

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »
Riber, the Kadett looks great in that combination.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline Ruber

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 12:01:30 AM »
Thanks!  Sights were a bit stiff to adjust at the range and I didn't want to mess them up there.  Got home, got my reading glasses on and instruction manual out.  Gave it a little more force and elevation started to work smoothly and have clicks.  I think it was cranked all the way down pretty hard from the factory.

However, windage adjustment still requires quite a bit of force and has no clicks.  This seem right to everyone?

Thanks!

Online Joe L

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 07:29:24 AM »
Ruber--the sight adjustment is a little tight at first, but it will loosen some.  The good thing is that you won't be adjusting it much after setting zero the first time. 

As far as feeding issues, Golden Bullets are probably the worst.  I've had good luck with almost anything else, my favorite being Norma Tac 22.  I have pretty much standardized on the Norma Tac22 but only have maybe 40k rounds of experience with it over the last 4 years.   :) :)

Feeding problems will develop when the chamber and ramp residue builds up.  Firing problem will develop when the firing pin hole gets clogged up.  Clean the chamber, ramp, breech face, and firing pin hole every 500 rounds or so, add oil to the slide rails, don't use grease, and it will run 100%.  I've won nearly every local bullseye match I've entered over the last several years and haven't had to take an alibi yet when shooting the Kadet.  Alibis were common with the Ruger 22/45 I was using before.  Accuracy of my worn out Kadet is still 1" at 50 yards from a rest after nearly 50k rounds.  I shot a 100 timed fire target with it during practice a few weeks ago, I probably have 10 clean targets with it now (out of maybe 1000 attempts, however).

My Kadet is not a fancy, custom, expensive, long, heavy barrel, cased, bullseye match gun.  It is a service pistol patched with Sugru grip modifications, CGW parts, a home made sight rail, a small red dot sight.  It is filthy and ugly.  It irritates my fellow competitors for me to shoot it in a match, it is so out of place.  To them.  That's the point.  A bullseye match is the absolute best place to show off what the fine little training pistol is good enough for.   Here is a link to a few videos I've put together over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7GbOFIiTV0zS20VyXTdz1glTxc2Stb5_

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline Ruber

Just fitted my new Kadet
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
Great, thank you!

So far mine has been totally reliable with Fed bulk and CCI Copper 22 and I wanted to get it sighted in with the copper bullets .

I'll take your advice on cleaning/lube and will track down some of the Tac 22.

Funny you mention the 22/45 as I want this to replace mine, which has been a great shooter itself.  Everyone I go shooting with uses a 10/22 or Rem bolt action, so they'll probably get a real kick out of this.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:52:29 AM by Ruber »

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 02:14:05 PM »
As Joe said
I REALLY enjoy taking my out stock KADET and out shoot some "dude" with his high dollar Target .22   ;)

anything