Author Topic: Leather holster and gun oil  (Read 235 times)

Offline Rcher

Leather holster and gun oil
« on: July 20, 2017, 07:08:40 PM »
I prefer to store my gun in a leather holster, so wondering if gun oil can damage or make worse holster interior?

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
Re: Leather holster and gun oil
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
The small amount of gun oil present on a cleaned gun will not affect the holster and if it is an unlined holster will serve to help smooth out any rough spots. I burnish the interior of all non lined holsters with a glass slicker using glycerin and water to smooth out and add a little condition to the interior but it still has a bit of roughness and a little gun oil wont hurt it.

Having said all that .. the problem isnt the holster but the gun. There are various chemicals used in the tanning process so storing your gun in a leather holster if it is blued may cause some rust to develop. Most modern coatings including the poly coat on CZ's are unaffected but I have at least one blued gun and that gun gets a couple coats of wax to prevent any damage.

When I clean and oil my gun I am sure to wipe down the outside until there is no oil present. I only need the oil where it will reduce friction. You still get some leaching and its nothing to concern yourself with.

Most leather guys are picking the weight suitable for the size and weight of the gun but still most holsters are constructed of anywhere from 7-9 oz leather. I typically use 7/8 on most firearms and that is usually on the heavy side of 3mm thick. You would need a boat load of oil to penetrate that and it would need to pool all in one spot.

Long story but all to say .. go ahead and enjoy your leather and dont worry about it!   ;)

Offline Rcher

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 08:01:48 PM »
@Boriqua - thank you!

I'm using Ballistol for cleaning/lubrication and it leaves a thin film on the gun exterior. My gun has chrome stainless finish, so should be OK with leather.

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:35:54 PM »
@Boriqua - thank you!

I'm using Ballistol for cleaning/lubrication and it leaves a thin film on the gun exterior. My gun has chrome stainless finish, so should be OK with leather.
Yup you are good to go. No worries.