Author Topic: New Dan 715  (Read 360 times)

Offline brutus51

New Dan 715
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
Just picked up my new Dan 715 and I can't wait to shoot it this weekend but my Dan Wesson experience has become somewhat disappointing because.
1.   8” barrel and shroud is unavailable.
2.   4” barrel and shroud is unavailable.
3.   Wooden grips are unavailable.
How can they offer a product with interchangeable barrels and then not have any to sell?
Will grips for the old model 15 work on the new 715?

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
Re: New Dan 715
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »
I'm unsure on the grips, but EWK typically has custom barrels.

www.ewkarms.com

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »
Call Shawn at DW. Their website is never updated it seems. I was able to buy a 2.5" 44 mag barrel last year that wasn't available on their website.

Offline Quercusmax

• It wasn't my fault
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
Having recently gotten a new 715 myself, I was very tempted to fill some of those empty extra barrel slots in the plastic case that comes with the gun.

For that very reason, a week ago I visited CZ's web store at http://shop.cz-usa.com/dw-products/revolver/barrels-shrouds/357-magnum and was pleased to see that they had both 6" and 8" stainless steel barrels in stock (the 2.5", 4", and 10" were out of stock), so I quickly ordered the 8" barrel even though it was quite expensive.

Unfortunately, several days later I got an e-mail from Daniel at CZ saying that "We regretfully are out of the Dan Wesson barrels part number 20052. We don’t expect to get more in for over 6 months."  So I added my name to the "back in stock" notification list, which I expect to be like waiting for that tax stamp that you applied for long ago and then forgot about until one day it unexpectedly arrived to give you something new to play with.   ;D

Meanwhile, there's been nothing disappointing about shooting my 715 with the 6" barrel.  I am no better than an average shot, but the 715 makes me look like an expert.  It is so mild when shooting .38 specials that you almost think you are shooting .22's, and magnums don't seem very fierce either.
If it's popular, I'm against it.

Offline jertex

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 12:06:28 PM »
Yes, I would like to get a 4" barrel for my new model 715 as well.
CZCustom PCR Pro-Tek I, CZ SP01 Tactical, Dan Wesson Revolvers, other handguns & long guns

Offline brutus51

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
I had the same experience as Quercusmax , originally I was looking for a complete pistol pack which couldn’t be found anywhere. Found a 6” model at my local gun range and purchased it based on the fact an 8” barrel and shroud was available on line. Day I picked up the gun I went home and ordered the 8” barrel and shroud. Next day I received this from Dan Wesson.

We had a system inventory issue and we in fact don’t have the Dan Wesson barrel that you ordered. Our timeline to get them is past 6 months so we are going to cancel your order. The authorization will be cancelled today and you should see it fall off shortly. You can follow the link below to sign up to be notified on when those come back in stock. Let me know if you have further questions.

To add insult to injury I took the gun for it’s first outing Sunday. Started out with 6 Hornady 38 specials. 1st shot cylinder locks up. Take it out to the counter fully loaded in the range bag and give to the guy. He takes it to the gunsmith who frees it up and empties the cylinder, says I should try some different ammo. Go back in the range and fire one round of some Winchester 125gr. Magnums, no problem. Load 6 in and on the first shot gun locks up tight. Back out to the counter. Gunsmith comes out frees up the cylinder. Back to the range we both go. He puts in 6 rounds and locks the gun up immediately. Says he will look into it the next day. Pack up and go home like a kid with a busted toy. Finally get a hold of the guy on Thursday and he says the gun needs to go back to the factory, which I was kinda glad to hear except for DW’s comment “Our timeline to get them is past 6 months” Not at all a stellar experience.
Makes me think I should have bought a Smith or a Ruger.
I have owned a Colt Python for 35 years never had a problem with it. Thought I was buying the 21st century equivalent. I’ve had great luck with other CZ products hope this works out for the best. :-\

Offline Quercusmax

• It wasn't my fault
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 09:35:57 PM »
Really sorry  to hear of your experience, which was really different than my first outing with my new 715.  Mine worked great, and I really love it.  So much, that I have a pistol pack on order.

Regarding getting more barrels, I keep reading here and other places that one should call DW direcLy instead of using the CW website, but haven't yet tried it myself.
If it's popular, I'm against it.