Author Topic: Anyone ever seen or installed iron sights on 527 American?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Canuck Bob

Anyone ever seen or installed iron sights on 527 American?
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:53:15 AM »
I just had cataract surgery and appear to have very good iron sight vision.  If it was available I would buy a LH Carbine in a heart beat.  As a second option I'm researching installing aperture sights on my CZ 527 American LH .223. 

Online painter

Re: Anyone ever seen or installed iron sights on 527 American?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
You might contact NECG. They offer a dovetail mounted peep for the 527.. https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=5934&ST=CZ%20527%20Ghost%20Ring%20Peep#.WXdIToQrKM8

You'd likely have to get a band type mount for the barrel od and figure out a blade height. They list front bases also... https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/Front_Sights.asp
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Canuck Bob

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »
The NECG sight is the front runner along with one of their ramp and front sight inserts.  My vision is still in early post surgery so it is wise to wait a month before committing to this.  Once I decide to proceed I'll track down a smith and seek his opinion.  One option is to try and swap mine out for a comparable LH Lux.  That will work out the possibility the comb would not be compatible with the low sight line and a front sight.

The most sensible is to install my nice 4X fixed Zeiss Conquest and some lower rings than the CZ rings.  The rifle is equipped with the new bolt handle.  However, when it comes to our rifles is sensible even a consideration?  8)

Anyone ever heard any talk about a LH Carbine?  I suspect they would fly off the shelves.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:05:29 AM by Canuck Bob »

Online painter

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »
They, CZ, don't even seem interested in adding L/H rifles to the rimfire line.

Hard to believe they'd tool up for L/H on the micro centerfire. :-\
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »
My preference would be a barrel band/ramp front sight combined with an express type rear sight, combined with a small scope in qd mounts.  The NECG peep rear is a good sight and I have one, but just don't care to use it.

Offline Canuck Bob

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
Express sights are a fine option.  My vision remains in limbo and the final analysis comes the end of this month.

I've taken inventory and since I don't own a scope sighted accurate rifle I've decided to scope this rifle.  I have a 4X28 Leupold rimfire scope on it currently as a fun outfitting.  The rifle looks surprisingly comfortable with the tiny scope.  I also tried a 2.5X20 Leupold Compact and it also looks right at home with it's straight tube and long eye relief.  The CZ rings are sturdy but just too high.  The original plan seems most likely, fixed 4X Zeiss Conquest in lower rings.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 06:43:45 PM »
My 527 American 6.5 Grendel came with Warne  rings,  I opted to use Warne QD rings so I could remove the scope for easier cleaning.   I use the med rings to be sure of scope/ bolt handle clearance and that's fine.  I put a Leupold 3.5-10 VX3i on it and like the scope well.  It might be a bit large but not super big.  I actually got the scope late last year and had it in storage awaiting arrival of the rifle which I got the first of July.

On my older 527 Prestige, 22 Hornet I have a Leupold 2-7 in the orginal CZ rings.

At age 72 I understand what you are saying about iron sights.  I am lucky enough that although very fuzzy I can still see and shoot a barrel mounted sight fairly well.  My thinking is it would have been great if CZ had made a peep sight integral with the rear scope base, and had a front sight. 

I don't know of anyone who I would trust to install a barrel band ramp type front, nor a barrel mounted express sight so these will remain scoped only.

I have a 1929 vintage Husqvarna M 46 that is set up along the lines I like, the "express style"  rear is a single leaf, so no filp ups for additional ranges.  THe other is a CZ 550 Safari that does have the true express sights, with leafs for 100, 200, & 300 yards.  The old Husqvarna was truly made to use with open sights, the stock having a very thin comb and noticeable cast off so my eye aligns perfectly with the sights,  the CZ has a cheekpiece that somehow positions my eye in a good position also, but not quite as good.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:54:10 PM by jkingrph »

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »
Maybe a red-dot type sight would do the job? No modification involved. Just a thought.
"Aw, it was only a Tasmanian beer atom." - Yahoo Serious, Young Einstein

Offline Canuck Bob

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 11:26:55 AM »
My vision problems persist.  I ended up with "secondary cataracts" which is really Posterior Capsule Opacity, PCO.  Happens to about 10-20% of cataract patients and a simple fix.  However I can use iron sights and peeps the best!

My plan is simpler.  I'm searching for a deal on a used lefty Lux in 223.  The aggravation of adding a front sight to my American ended that route.  Gunsmiths, the good ones, are so busy that the real alternative was doing it myself.  Not interested in doing my first front sight install on a pristine American! I'm not the sharpest tack but nowhere near that dull.

Thank you all for your assistance.