Author Topic: Shooting/gun log book  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Grizzlie

Shooting/gun log book
« on: July 26, 2017, 06:06:35 AM »
Anyone keep a a shooting/gun/range log book so-to-speak. Keep track of what ammo which gun likes and how your sights are set up? Temperatures and ballistic performance? Round-count and gun maintenance schedules?

If so, how do you go about organizing it?
'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

Offline Swamp ash

Re: Shooting/gun log book
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
It's pretty silly I guess, but with all my new weapons I keep a notecard which each that has date, round count, ammo type, and comments.
Ruger rimfire fan

Offline bubbas4570

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:41:15 AM »
I Don't do long range competitive shooting anymore, so no real records other than a notebook with each firearm  listed with dates used, rounds fired, and any notable problems encountered.   I went this way more for round count/cleaning than anything else.

Offline bubbas4570

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:43:16 AM »
......and I skip a couple pages in between, so that I have enough room for the information when written down.  Also pages just separated by paperclips or whatever works.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
Never did.  Reloading logbook?  Sure.  Shooting logbook, nope.

Too many darn guns, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline robertk7

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 07:10:32 PM »
Anyone keep a a shooting/gun/range log book so-to-speak. Keep track of what ammo which gun likes and how your sights are set up? Temperatures and ballistic performance? Round-count and gun maintenance schedules?

If so, how do you go about organizing it?
I use an app on my phone CCW Guardian get photos as well as comments round count type of drills etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vinny

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 03:48:33 AM »
Yes, I keep a small index card size spiral notepad in my range bag. I note the date, whichever gun I'm shooting, and what ammo and round counts with any notes of significance. This only takes seconds as I usually only take 1-2 guns 3 max to the range (because I don't want to clean more than that). I can quickly tally the spiral notepad total round counts each month.

When I get home and clean my firearms after a shoot; I then transfer this info neatly into a large ring binder with a divider (and a pocket for targets) for each weapon.

So, at any time I can quickly refer to the ring binder to know how each gun is performing; total round counts, what ammo shoots best, any issues, etc.

Yeah, I know it sounds anal; but with a sizeable collection of firearms it's the only way I can remember important stuff and it really doesn't take much time if you develop the discipline to just do it.

Some guys only clean their guns when they start to jam. Some guys clean and lube after every shoot so they won't jam.
Each to their own method. 

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:45:46 AM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 07:47:12 AM »
I keep a round count for each gun so I know when to change out recoil springs.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 05:23:18 PM »
Yes, I keep a small index card size spiral notebook in my range bag. I note the date, whichever gun I'm shooting, and what ammo and round counts with any notes of significance. This only takes seconds as I usually only take 1-2 guns 3 max to the range (because I don't want to clean more than that). I can quickly tally total round counts each month.

When I get home and clean my firearms after a shoot; I then transfer this info neatly into a large ring binder with a divider (and a pocket for targets) for each weapon.

So, at any time I can quickly refer to the ring binder to know how each gun is performing; total round counts, what ammo shoots best, any issues, etc.

Yeah, I know it sounds anal; but with a sizeable collection of firearms it's the only way I can remember important stuff and it really doesn't take much time if you develop the discipline to just do it.

Some guys only clean their guns when they start to jam. Some guys clean and lube after every shoot so they won't jam.
Each to their own method.

Not anal at all. I started a logbook just now for my 22LR rifle but will start keeping track track of the pistols. Most interested in things like, "pulls to the left, sights set for 6oclock or hold-over". I can't see myself remembering things like this without some help, also too many firearms.
'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

Offline robert1804

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »
I keep a ring binder with divided sections for each gun. I note dates, loads, group size and any particulars on cycling, extraction, cleaning or any noteworthy items.

Offline Redcat94

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 05:07:53 AM »
Nope. When I first got into shooting I though about it but decided not to because I didn't want to start to obsess over the numbers. I do enough paperwork at work as it is. The only firearms documentation I keep is for my C&R license.
Berhati-hati di ruang platform.

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
 The only guns I REALLY keep records on are my three long range rifles. I note rounds fired, and how much each 100 rd box of brass is loaded.

I keep a separate book for ballistic data. Showing the meteorological data  for the day, my adjustments for hits at each yardage, etc.

I do have a separate binder for each of my center fire  hunting/varmint rifles , with all of my load work up targets and load data. Makes it easy to know WHERE You are with one you haven't shot in a few years.

Offline ncrockclimb

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 01:15:19 AM »
I keep a spreadsheet with a page for each firearm.  I record the day I purchased the gun.  Every time I fire it I record the date, how many rounds and type of ammo.  I also record when I clean and any maintenance.  Finally, I make a note of any malfunctions.  Writing all that here, it sounds like a lot.  In reality, it is a few seconds after each shooting session. 

anything