Author Topic: Cleaning the CZ opinions requested  (Read 3238 times)

Offline DocD

Cleaning the CZ opinions requested
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:32:06 PM »
I have read quit a bit on the topic, now I would like to hear from the people who are in the know, how often do you clean your rifle?  I have always cleaned all my firearms after each outing, am I wrong? Thanks

Offline painter

Re: Cleaning the CZ opinions requested
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »
I use a Patchworm after each use in the bore, one patch with whatever cleaner I have and one dry patch, wipe down the bolt with a clean oily rag, and do the same with the metal. I wipe the excess off the exterior metal.

I rarely use a brush, maybe every 500 rounds, and then just in the chamber/leade.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline targetmaster

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 08:03:26 PM »
I have read quit a bit on the topic, now I would like to hear from the people who are in the know, how often do you clean your rifle?  I have always cleaned all my firearms after each outing, am I wrong? Thanks
I clean the bolt and chamber after every range trip as well as wipe the metal and wood down. When my groups start spreading I run a wet patch, nylon brush and dry patch through it till it comes out clean. This is usually 600-800 rounds. Then I will fire about 20 rds through the barrel to foul it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Winkel

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:12:24 PM »
I wipe the outside down with an oil rag every once in a while.  It depends a little on the weather at the time I'm shooting it too.

I seldom run a brush or patch down the barrel.  I'm pretty good about cleaning my guns but I don't worry about my .22 rimfires that much. 

I've had my 452 Lux for about ten years now and have probably run a brush down the barrel twice. 

I'm shooting iron sights but the accuracy seems just as good now as the day I bought it.  My eyesight is a different story though.....

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:29:19 PM »
I clean after every outing...action, barrel...everything. It's just one of those things that I know each gun in the safe is clean, lubed ready for the next outing. Maybe it's over the top but it's a process I am comfortable with  :)

Offline tattooo

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
Between 300-500 rounds

Offline Shooter1911

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »
I am shopping for a CZ in 22 LR, why I am here today. I guess I will be with it like every other gun I own. If I shoot it, I clean it. Never go to sleep with a dirty weapon of any kind. Anal I guess.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
Back in the days of corrosive ammo leaving the barrel/chamber dirty at the end of the day was a good way to ruin the barrel.

I was raised to clean it/lube it if I shot it and to wipe it down with an oily rag before it went back in the case.  If I got it out and hunted with it or handled it then I still wiped it down with an oily rag before I put it away.  If I went hunting on a rainy wet day it got a full clean/lube job just as if I'd shot it.

If it rusts between uses - you didn't do your job right.

I remember my dad even cleaning/wiping down his grandfather's old felling saw when I was a kid at home (before he got his first chain saw in the mid 70's).  Take care of it and it'll last a long time.

Some people say a barrel has to be dirty to shoot well.  Could be true with some guns.  It isn't true with others.  These days you can get away with leaving the barrel dirty, but you may pay for not keeping the outside metal surfaces wipe off with an oily rag.  I look at pictures on the internet of old 1911's (WW1 Military pistols) and see how ragged they look and then look it mine and it's pitiful the way some people abuse a gun.

As stated in a previous post - if you clean/lube it after you shoot it you know it's ready the next time.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline carrollms

• Freedom is best, I tell thee true... Wm Wallace
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 12:00:21 AM »
CZ says, Clean after every use... if only a few rounds dry patches in barrel until it comes out clean. Very dirty, brush and solvent; soak 10 minutes, scrub barrel, dry patches till clean. In all cases end with a light gun oil patch to protect barrel against rust and all wipe down all exposed metal surfaces.  Also, if not otherwise fired: once per year, or in tropical climate, once per month. For the stock, CZ says, "The maintenance of the stock can be carried out with a dry cloth or by some furniture-polishing product"

I recall in the old days we would clean 7.62 and 30-06 for three days after range qualification because stuff would seep out of the bore (Maybe based on some of the ammo we shot) Stock - light pure linseed oil rubdown occasionally.  Keep the stock from any gun solvent and oils. I have not yet found a good answer for the 455 stock of "some furniture-polishing product. I have read that the stock is lacquered.  I am leaning toward pure Linseed, Renaissance, or Johnson's Paste Wax in the big yellow can now to avoid any chemicals found in many "furniture products" these days. I have read that anything other that 100% natural plant waxes or polishes is a problem  http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029930&highlight=linseed

Offline carrollms

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 12:40:46 PM »
I came across this web site that cites an Eley recommended procedure (link broken to full article). Basically, use a dry patch, then wet patches (rimfire blend) until clean, then lube with gun oil. At 200-300 rounds brass brush to remove lead.

I found the caveat on the page to be appropriate given the many techniques discussed here:

This is not the only way to clean a rimfire barrel. There are other procedures. This is the method recommended by ELEY based on decades of experience with the top smallbore shooters in the world, including many Olympic Gold Medalists. Some shooters have been very successful cleaning less frequently, or using different types of solvents. The ELEY method is a good starting point.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/how-to-clean-rimfire-rifle-barrels/
Rimfire Blend https://www.amazon.com/Bore-Tech-Rimfire-Blend-16/dp/B00M7FEBII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516124028&sr=8-1&keywords=rimfire+blend

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 08:59:56 PM »
For rim fire I clean the bore when accuracy goes south, otherwise just clean the other parts with a brush.
"1776" - Part II

Offline carrollms

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 07:10:31 PM »
Here is an article from Bill Calfee published in the ARA journal on how some very good bench-rest shooters had killed their 22 barrels with poor cleaning techniques-focusing on the cleaning rod and the proper guide
http://archive.americanrimfire.com/CalfeeCorner.html

Offline cwmoss

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »
Many rimfire barrels are ruined by cleaning too much. The advice given to me from national ranked rimfire shooters is, clean when you notice accuracy falling off.

Offline FrankW

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »
carrollms wrote:

"I recall in the old days we would clean 7.62 and 30-06 for three days after range qualification because stuff would seep out of the bore (Maybe based on some of the ammo we shot) Stock - light pure linseed oil rubdown occasionally.  Keep the stock from any gun solvent and oils. I have not yet found a good answer for the 455 stock of "some furniture-polishing product. I have read that the stock is lacquered.  I am leaning toward pure Linseed, Renaissance, or Johnson's Paste Wax in the big yellow can now to avoid any chemicals found in many "furniture products" these days. I have read that anything other that 100% natural plant waxes or polishes is a problem  http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029930&highlight=linseed
[/quote]"

This is off subject but I hope you find a better finish than Pure Linseed Oil.  It is hard to work with due to it being very slow to dry and you can end up with a mess if you rush it.  Linseed Oil doesn't offer the water proofing you need for a gun stock that you might hunt with.  Tung Oil is much better for finishing a gun stock with its better water proofing qualities.  If you use an oil finish of some kind, you should never apply wax to the surface.  This is especially try if you don't do a good job of filling the pores of the stock.  The wax will make it really tough to refinish or repair the stock in the future.  A good oil finish can be renewed ever so often with linseed oil but not if you have applied wax beforehand.

Frank     

Offline carrollms

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 02:29:20 PM »
Thanks Frank.  Appreciate the advice. With your opinion and some other reading, I have decided to go with one of the waxes on the CZ stock.
I found my little bottle of pure linseed where I have used it before to clean up an old M1 carbine stock, and now refresh that oil finish.  The CMP has an article on using pure tongue or linseed oil.
https://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/wood-cleaning-article/

anything