Author Topic: Which headstamps are best  (Read 927 times)

Offline CzDave

Re: Which headstamps are best
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 04:55:44 PM »
I go through bucket and sort calibers out.

In the 9mm bucket goes the Winny, Speer, Starline, Blazer, RP, Federal, etc.

Into the trash bucket goes Extreme, PPU, Geco, CBC, IMI, or anything that even begins to look at me funny. Just not worth wasting a primer on.

After this I load from the good bucket, and then run it all through the Shockbottle Hundo case gauge. This is most important step, imo. Worth every penny!

I had one round failure in a match recently and it was the first one I could recall in over 7,000 rounds.

Offline DWARREN

• Grumpy Old Guy
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »
I use new Starline or Hornady brass. I also like once fired military surplus if I can find it.
SHUT UP AND RELOAD!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 12:22:33 AM »
Never bought a 9mm case..  I did save my factory cartridge brass when I started seriously thinking about reloading.

Picking up brass has become part of my "workout routine".  :)

Offline DWARREN

• Grumpy Old Guy
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 02:32:38 AM »
Only use the new for SD/HD ammo.
SHUT UP AND RELOAD!

Offline tdogg

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 07:03:28 PM »
I pick up all brass reloadable cases then sort them by caliber and for Win and Fed headstamps (which is what I find mostly around here).  The others I just put into a mixed headstamp bucket for either selling or for if I ever have to shoot somewhere that doesn't let me pick up brass.

The random calibers I don't load, I throw into a recycle bucket that I'll take in when enough to warrant my time.

I think Win cases are my favorite, Fed is OK but the quality seems to be hit or miss depending on vintage.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 11:57:45 AM »
My access to brass is quite limited, with S&B being the king here. Geco I believe takes second place, but it's more expensive hence it's decreased popularity.
Maxxtech surfaces for 45ACP being considerably cheaper than S&B but I've decided not to load them for live ammunition.

Maxxtech shoots a little smokey (as in, I think I see a faint smoke when I shoot it), smells funny after shooting. On general the fire brass looks wierder in terms of fouling, and every once in a while a piece of the case seems to be chipped or bent wierdly (and most likely not from falling on the floor/ground).
'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

Offline seaswol

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »
All the 9mm brass I reload was once factory that I bought. WIN seem to have the earliest case failure.  FED, Speer and the virgin Starline I bought all seem to hold up better.  The only range brass I pick up is factory shells.  My "Drops" are what I fire, pick up and throw away or shoot at our IDPA shoots.

anything