Author Topic: Sphinx SDP Compact: Kriss-USA Customer Service Experience  (Read 309 times)

Offline spcava

I made a horrible mistake last year and sold my CZ P-01 when money was a little tight. I finally decided to replace the P-01 with a Sphinx SDP Compact Alpha and patiently waited for a price I was willing to pay.  I woke up on delivery day, last Saturday, feeling like it was Christmas morning.  Imagine my disappointment when the slide stop came clean out of the gun while performing a basic function check at counter of the gun shop.  The gun came off the line missing its slide stop spring and pin. To make matters worse, this happened right in front of a couple Glock fanboys I had bragged to about my new gun.

I know I could have refused delivery and gotten a refund or replacement from the online dealer, but I decided to accept the gun and take my chances with Kriss-USA customer service.  I've read pretty mixed reviews on their customer service so I was prepared for a long, drawn out process.  I'll detail my experience here to add to the conversation.

July 24:  I had difficulty getting an answer on the customer service line so I sent an email explaining the issue.  I read on a forum that email response takes a while so I called several times until someone finally picked up.  The CS rep promises that my issue would be take be care of me at no cost, including shipping.  He emailed me the RMA information form and I immediately filled it out and sent it back.  I've seen some people complain about this part of the process, but it was simple and took about two minutes.

July 25:  After waiting until about 2 PM their time, I called to check on the status and to find out the next steps.  I was told that I would be issued an RMA and provided a shipping label for UPS.

July 26:  Again after waiting 24 hours, I received the RMA (after pestering them) and was told that I had to provide them with the dimensions and weight of the package before they could issue the shipping label.  Through my experience with reruns and warranty work, this step seemed odd to me.  I've never had to provide a shipper with that information to have a shipping label provided, and I've had extensive experience handling returns through UPS.  I had to go to the UPS store to have the gun case packaged and weighed.  I promptly sent the package weight and dimensions to Kriss via email and after another 24 hours...

July 27:  I am finally issued a shipping label and send my gun off to Kriss-USA in VA.  I'm in NC so UPS ground shipping got it there overnight. 

July 29:  I received notice that the gun had been serviced, tested, and shipped back to me.  I was astounded because the RMA noted that repair time was 4 to 5 weeks. 

I have a couple conclusions about Kriss-USA's warranty process based on this experience.  The warranty department located in California is best reached by phone, even if you have to call several times to speak to someone.  Getting the RMA and shipping label seems like a more drawn out process than it should be.  I would suggest that anyone having to go through this process go ahead and provide the rep with package weight and dimensions during the initial contact. That could possibly speed up the wait time for the shipping label by a day.

The reps I spoke to understood that letting a gun enter the market that can't even pass a basic function test was unacceptable and followed through on their promise to get the gun back to me as fast as possible.  I am eagerly waiting on it to be delivered Monday! A week time-span between first contact with the manufacturer and delivery is pretty impressive.  I'll finally get to take my new Sphinx to the range Monday and post an update on how the gun functions post-repair. 

I hope my experience will help others work through this process as smoothly as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tattooo

Re: Sphinx SDP Compact: Kriss-USA Customer Service Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 11:39:41 PM »
Good info on how to maneuver their CS without the headache.

Offline snakeye

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 11:40:55 PM »
You have a lot more patience than I have.  I would have made them return it and send me a good one.  >:(

Offline spcava

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 11:52:27 PM »
You have a lot more patience than I have.  I would have made them return it and send me a good one.  >:(

Yeah, I got really lucky with the turnaround time. I really regretted not simply returning it to the dealer when I got the initial repair time estimate.  With my luck I would have gotten two lemons in a row Haha!  I convinced myself that sending it to Kriss would guarantee that I'll get a flawless gun.

Offline spcava

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:43:33 PM »
Update: 

The Sphinx came back in great shape.  I fired 200 rounds of various cheap ammo without any failures.    It really is a great gun, and I am so happy that Kriss got it back to me without a long wait.

Offline WVsig

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:27:52 PM »
I had to send in my Sub Compact in 2015 because the chamber was too tight, slide stop was out of spec and would not feed properly. It took about a month to get back to me IIRC. The gun is now 100%. I remember it being a little bit of a hassle to get a hold of customer service but they paid shipping both ways and took care of me which in the end is about all you can ask.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Offline aaangel

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
im having the same problem with my subcompact,  barrel being too tight for my carry ammo which is federal hst+P. but it runs fine with fmj range ammo. what self defense ammo are you guys using?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:12:33 PM by aaangel »