Author Topic: SHould I trust this Guy  (Read 920 times)

Offline bang bang

Re: SHould I trust this Guy
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 10:44:13 PM »
if you are doing this via a gun auction/selling site with some way of feedback or ratings, then yes.

i do my transactions via USPS money order.  Sometimes i will take other forms but they have to let me know first.

if there is no way of knowing how many sales this person has done, then i would skip.

Offline sleepyhead

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »

Nothing more to add other than maybe consider an escrow site, or ask him if he's ok with you sending the money order to his FFL. Then verify the FFL or even contact the FFL to put your mind at ease.

Offline Performify

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 01:31:30 AM »
Lots of good advice here.  Just adding my $0.02 as I've done a decent number of deals online....

Most scammers don't use USPS money orders, as their misuse can be heavily prosecuted - mail fraud is a much more serious felony than you'd think offhand.  So that's usually a good sign.

My main rule for buyers I don't trust based on established feedback, is to take personal information and validate it, e.g. name, address, etc.  If it's someone without any feedback, I usually will ask for a copy of their Driver's License in a picture visible with the firearm's serial number.  And then will validate that information using OSINT tools (e.g. Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, military search for active duty personnel, etc). And then will only send the money order to that address in that name.  That step alone usually does the trick -- in my experience very rare someone is willing to document their license + firearm and receive a USPS MO in the mail and then turn and defraud you.

As others have mentioned, you can also ask their FFL to serve as an escrow for the funds (sending them the money order in the seller's name).  On something high dollar or where the seller isn't a regular, adding a $20 - $50 fee for the FFL will usually get that done in my experience. 

Lots of times the FFL is happy to act as a partial escrow -- they'll talk to you, confirm that the seller has the gun, that the gun has been transferred in to their inventory, and will be transferred to you once the money is released -- I don't think many scammers go to that stage of engaging the FFL and transferring the gun in to them only to pull it back.  They're looking for easier targets, generally.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:34:05 AM by Performify »

Offline murman1983

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 06:51:18 AM »
No I'm buying a Walther PPK/s, my only problem is the seller does not a have any type of reputation. I PMed him on Walther forum and he was new.

Either way, I'm going to go ahead and send the money, and hope I made the right decision. If he scams me OH well, its hard lesson learned, one worth paying a grand for.

Offline johnhunter44

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »
Maybe I do not know what I am talking about, but $1100 for a Walther PPK/s seems too high.  Is it some kind of collector's item?  I would still have your FFL contact the FFL of the seller to confirm he has made contact with another party to handle shipping.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 08:18:51 AM »
Oh man yes that is waaay tooo much for a PPK/S. If it was a real pre-war German Walther that would be a far different story. The PPK/S was designed to comply with GCA-68 and was and has been made under contract from Walther but they are not real German pistols. Nothing special about either the Interarms or the S&W contracted guns at all and they both suffer reliability issues.

Offline murman1983

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »
OH no, this a 1982 NIB Manurhin Walther PPK/s, just as good as the original German mades, and some say the french put better finishes that the Germans did. Also, this a NiVel finish, which is even more rare, I heard someone say only a couple hundred were made with this Finish.

anything