Author Topic: SHould I trust this Guy  (Read 1794 times)

Offline murman1983

SHould I trust this Guy
« on: July 31, 2017, 07:53:54 PM »
Hey everyone,

Ive got a question, I am in the process of buying a gun from a private seller in another state, he wants to ship from his FFL to mine. He gave me his number and address to ship my money to. Ive talked to him on the phone and he seems like a nice older man. The only problem is he wants a postal money order, and he wont ship until the money come through and is cleared. So I am taking all the risks and he is taking none.

How does a normal transaction like this ussually happen, from a private seller? Is there another way or is it this way normal? Ive talked to him twice and dont want to piss him off, by questioning his trust, I dont want him to say "forget the whole thing".

What should I do?

Offline Firemanjones

Re: SHould I trust this Guy
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 08:00:01 PM »
This is a normal way of selling a firearm online. I have only done this as a seller though.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline Meechy7648

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:00:44 PM »
Have your FFL talk to his. Arrange to send the money to his FFL, if it really worries you. He has as much to lose as you. If he gives a bad vibe, don't do it. Ask to see his ID and show him yours. He shouldn't be insulted.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline murman1983

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:03:25 PM »
My bad, Im sending the money to his address not his FFL. So its normal, to have to 100% trust the seller, and he doesnt giveme bad vibes, but I know that scammer are manipulative. Should I ask for his FFL info as well?

Offline murman1983

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:08:55 PM »
Im pretty nervous, its $1100 on the line, but if a postal money order to the seller is normal than its normal. Its just if he never sends the gun, there will be no proof of purchase other than me just giving him some money?

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 08:12:43 PM »
It's normal for the transaction to go that way.

You should do you homework though.  As for specific pictures... maybe ask to have a piece of paper with your name included in the picture.
Most forums have a feedback feature.  If not, then they may have a sub forum for referrals.

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:23:24 PM »
Your concern is understandable...especially when it's more than a few hundred bucks! However, it is a typical way of conducting this type of transaction.

On the plus side, it's going FFL to FFL...he could have said he'd ship direct to your FFL via a national carrier, so at least it's going through two middlemen (with a fee for each). You could request an electronic proof of purchase before it is sent anf tracking ID once shipped. Of course I'm sure you'll send your payment registered ...so it doesn't get lost in the mail  ;)

Offline murman1983

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
Do yall ever mess with bill of sell?

Offline jh225

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »
Do yall ever mess with bill of sell?

You're going through an FFL, no need for a bill of sale unless you just want one for record keeping. It will be run thru NICS before you take possession anyway.

As for the way the seller wants to conduct the sale, perfectly normal. As long as you don't get any bad vibes, you should be fine. I have done countless deals this way both buying and selling for WAY more money than you have in this deal.

Using USPS money orders is the safest way. The money is guaranteed for him, and if he does rip you off, you likely have recourse with the postal inspector.

I usually Google Earth the residence to make sure it's not some slum lord building and also look up the address on the town/county tax roles using the local web site that all towns have now. If everything matches his name and info,, you are good to go.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:47:42 PM by jh225 »

Offline greystonedog

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 09:00:38 PM »
This is why the auction sites have the feedback system.And there are escrow services available, think Gunbroker has one

Offline murman1983

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 09:01:33 PM »
thank you all, this has eased my mind, im going to pull the trigger. ill trust the man, i was affraid yall would all say this was a suspicious way.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 09:29:54 PM »
This is how pretty much every Ebay transaction happened before Ebay bought PayPal.  I think almost all Gunbroker transactions that don't involve a brick and mortar store as a seller still go about business.

Imagine yourself in his shoes.  As a seller you don't have a way to process credit cards.  And accepting a personal check can be dodgey.  Sending cash through the mail is just a terrible idea.  Would you send a $1,100 gun to someone in another state and then have their personal check bounce once it's been shipped out?

A USPS money order is as good as cash.  Keep your stub for your records and you will be fine.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 09:35:13 PM »
I'm no expert but I believe if you are cheated/defrauded of the thing you purchase and you use a postal money order (United States Postal Service) you can contact them with the details and they have people who investigate such things.  There can be some severe penalties for fraud and USPS money orders.

Please, if I'm wrong, someone speak up.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »
I'm no expert but I believe if you are cheated/defrauded of the thing you purchase and you use a postal money order (United States Postal Service) you can contact them with the details and they have people who investigate such things.  There can be some severe penalties for fraud and USPS money orders.

Please, if I'm wrong, someone speak up.

I believe you are 100% correct.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 10:36:39 PM »
WAIT JUST A MINUTE!

you are talking about purchasing a CZ, right?  I must have missed the pictures.

anything