Author Topic: New vz2008 quality?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Deadeye

New vz2008 quality?
« on: August 01, 2017, 12:05:45 AM »
Hi,
I'm new to the forum (this is my first post here but I've been looking around for a while).  I love cz guns, I've been wanting to get a vz58 for a while and I'm finally in a position where I can get a century vz2008.  The ones I see in stock have some sort of black handguards, possibly plastic but I'm not sure honestly.  I've heard mostly great things about the ones I saw a few years back with the beaver barf stocks, I was just wondering if the new ones are as good quality control wise.  Century Arms guns always give me a little hesitation, but rumor has it that they contract these to a company that does a great job making them.  Any input you have is definitely appreciated,  I figure you guys are the experts on this, and if these new rifles are as good as the ones from a few years ago hopefully I'll have one in a week or 2!

I don't really have the money for a czeckpoint right now, but if the new vz2008s don't have the same reputation as they used to I might save for a month or 2 and just get one of those.  If both have a good track record of working well I would rather spend the extra money on mags and ammo.

Also I'm a welder, so I'm not too worried about gremlins lol

Offline nickndfl

Re: New vz2008 quality?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:16:56 PM »
Log onto Gun Broker.com. As many as you can budget for $600 each. Search VZ2008.

Offline Deadeye

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:14:49 PM »
Thanks Nick.  I found some at gunbuyer.com new for about $600 shipped.  I know they made these in different generations and the new ones won't have the tab welded.  I'm wondering if the new ones are as good as the older vz2008s that were going around a few years ago.

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 12:30:37 AM »
Thanks Nick.  I found some at gunbuyer.com new for about $600 shipped.  I know they made these in different generations and the new ones won't have the tab welded.  I'm wondering if the new ones are as good as the older vz2008s that were going around a few years ago.

That's a good questions as to whether the present VZ2008's are as good as previous generations.  There could be slightly lesser quality to the surplus parts as the years have gone by, or they could be the same.  Other than shininess, I'm not sure how someone could really cherry-pick parts out of a bin when making a rifle in an assembly line.  It's very likely that the parts used in 2008 have the same overall wear and longevity as the parts being used today.  It's probably the furniture of recent rifles that would be the worst of it as I'm sure the prettiest stuff was used first years ago.  You might get some uglier Beaver Barf.

Mine have all functioned perfectly, even the one that is slightly less pretty than the others.  Brand new, they've recently been going for about $650-800 with few accessories.  For that price, getting the Czechpoint instead at a few hundred more is also a good deal due to the chrome-lined barrel (but is it really necessary??) and a much better warranty and customer service.  But if you can get a used PSA package from 2014 that includes 5 mags, mag pouch, cleaning kit, and sling for $600 or less, that's also a great deal.  I can definitely see the intelligence in getting a VZ2008 and spending the extra $500 on magazines and ammo.

The lousy Century warranty and customer service or the lack thereof on the used market really isn't a big deal.  Parts are still cheap and plentiful and outside of some serious out-of-spec problems it's really easy to repair or replace parts.  The non-chromed lined barrel shouldn't make a difference either.  My main VZ2008 is nearing 3,000 rounds and I can still easily ring a gong at 200 yards with iron sights and it groups the same on paper as when I first got it.  Zero failures with any of my VZ2008's.  All of them were tabbed for insurance after about 1,000 rounds, and maybe even unnecessarily so.

The VZ2008 was my first, last, and only experience with Century products.  It stands apart from all the other reputed crap they've made and continue to make (RAS47).  Highly recommend getting one and maybe a dozen or so extra mags.

Offline Deadeye

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »
Thank you TJNewton, that was about the most helpful post I could have hoped for!  Being that these rifles are made with surplus parts like the older vz2008s, and if anything needed to be fixed I would be using surplus parts to replace whatever was wrong, I'm definetly going to buy one.  I hadn't really thought about it from that perspective before.  I'll make sure to post when it arrives and let you know if I notice anything that they changed from the previous generations.

Offline 1775usmarine

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
I picked my vz2008 up on another forum for 500 with 4 mags, pouch, bayo, and the plastic furniture with folding stock. I bought a beaver barf stock kit from ebay, and managed to score 4 more mags off GB for less then 45 bucks.  I've only put around 300 rounds through mine but haven't had one single issue. I may still save up for a czech point but in the mean time I'm happy with my century.

Offline dohc97

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:04:56 PM »
For what it is worth, I bought a vz2008 about 5 years ago with all the extras. Sold it for 700 last year and bought a VZ58 for 1,000. I never had any problem with the vz2008.

Offline Deadeye

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »
That's good to hear!  I'm betting the odds of getting a good one are pretty high.  I know a lot of people love theirs and a few people have had problems (it's like that with pretty much everything though).  I'm glad to hear you didn't have any issues with yours.  I'm starting to think the problem guns are more rare and blown out of proportion, people will get online to talk about problems more often than to say good things, and there are lots of good things that are being said about these rifles.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:58:42 PM by Deadeye »

Offline Thin Man

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
Another happy VZ2008 owner here!
I stumbled across one in my favorite pawn shop several years ago for $375 with 4 magazines, and liked it well enough to get another one NIB with one magazine for $365. Both of mine are 3rd generation guns (VZ08PM serial prefix), and have been utterly problem free.
I've added mags and spare parts (which it seems I will never likely need), and have put at least 300 rounds through each gun. Not a lot of rounds, but enough to spur confidence in the guns.
I added FAB Defense hand-guards and grip, and CNC warrior brake to one of the guns.
It's just so damn handy with the folding stock that it's become the go-to rifle when I work out in the grove on my farm.
Even made a decent deer rifle using a 10 round magazine I found a while back on eBay, and blocked to 5 rounds.
I say buy without reservation, even at the current price level.
People seem to forget that these had an MSRP of $699 when they came out. The Palmetto State Armory sale gave people an unrealistic price expectation on these rifles.

Offline nickndfl

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »
I think most of us will agree that the VZ58/2008 is more fun to shoot that an AK-47. The AKs are much heavier. The VZs also have a milled receiver unlike an AK's stamped FWIW.

I use my VZ as a hog gun and it works great. Never had an issue and you can always get a tab welded to the receiver IF you think it's necessary. There are resources available on this forum where you mail it in and it's done for < $100.

I wouldn't buy a rifle based solely on it having or not having a chrome lined barrel. There are differing schools of thought as to accuracy +/- and ease of maintenance vs. corrosion.

Shop around, but I see the prices have been going up and supply tightening on the cheap ones.

Offline Deadeye

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 02:12:32 AM »
I have to say, it's even nicer than I hoped for!  Way better than any AK I've ever fired, better balance, and it's pretty handy with that folding stock.  Came with a fab polymer hand guard and a tapco foregrip that did a great job keeping the heat away from my hand.  It had a few hiccups in the first 20 rounds or so but it's been flawless after that.  It could just be the ergonomics (it fits me like a glove) but I was really surprised with how nice the groups were shooting standing unsupported.  It's shooting a little to the left but that's easy enough to fix.  Interesting thing though...I checked the tag on the trigger guard and it was made in 2015 and has been just sitting around I guess until I ordered it.  I want to say thank you to each one of you that helped talk me into getting this rifle.  After a little more range time it's definitely going to take it's place as my go-to rifle.

Offline cchiang1

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 12:54:21 AM »
Before adjusting your sights, you may wish to either remove the slant brake and replace it with one designed for the VZ, or re-orient it vertically to get some use out of it.  Doing either will alter the point of impact of your shots.  That slant brake is designed to counter-act the up-and-to-the-right recoil impulse of the AK 47, but on the VZ-2008 only serves to annoyingly push the folding stock into your cheek.

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »
Various makes and models plus parts all available for a range of prices on Armslist.  http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?search=Vz.58&location=usa&category=all&posttype=7&ships=

CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

anything