Author Topic: Vise and mag well vise blocks  (Read 395 times)

Offline Kokopelli

Vise and mag well vise blocks
« on: August 01, 2017, 04:12:35 PM »
Does anyone make a mag well vise block for the EVO?  Manticore make a receiver block and it looks good, so now I need a mag block.  A metal magazine would suffice, but the plastic body mags not so much.  Possibly if ones could find one really cheap it could be modified to work,..  Thanks...
Ain't no pockets on a shroud

Online akuser47

Re: Vise and mag well vise blocks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 06:22:41 PM »
I am unaware of any at the moment but it should be easy to have one printed even if you pay to have one printed by a firm. You only need a current magazine to have one made.

Offline st381183

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »
Take a broken mag or regular mag, take out the guts, fill it with an epoxy or other resin, voila!, magazine vice block.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:07:23 PM by st381183 »

Online akuser47

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »
I was thinking that to. You could use bondo and pack it in from the top to make it solid I bet.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »
block of hardwood and a bandsaw ? attached to a nice sturdy base like red oak..
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Kokopelli

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 11:00:26 PM »
making one out of a magazine would be best/easiest really. I just hate to sacrifice a new magazine.  It needs to be a 30 round mag as the 20's are too short.  I think my new clear mag will be the one.  Expanding foam is a filling option as well.. 

Online akuser47

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 05:05:48 PM »
Cerasafe would work to fill it solid or lead if you have it be heavy has hell with lead though.

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »
making one out of a magazine would be best/easiest really. I just hate to sacrifice a new magazine.  It needs to be a 30 round mag as the 20's are too short.  I think my new clear mag will be the one.  Expanding foam is a filling option as well..

Expanding foam would give no rigidity to the magazine.  you would want to fill with epoxy if you want to use a magazine as a holding block (although I wouldn't recommend do that in the first place)

To the OP, what are you trying to accomplish by making a magazine type mounting block?  A better way to hold the lower to mount/remove parts?  For all the parts on the lower I honestly feel it is better just to lay it on a flat surface or use a solid bench block on a tabletop for driving pines in/out.  I can't think of any part I would rather remove by placing force/torque on the magwell area but maybe you are thinking of something I am not, so I am curious to hear!

Sven
Manticore Arms

Sven
Manticore Arms

Offline CaptJager

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »
Dependig what you want to use it for you can use an Uzi pro magazine with a cz scorpion adapter, or you could ask about the adapter being filled while being printed all depends what you want to do with it. Here is a picture with the uzi pro 32rd all metal magazine with the 3d printed adapter

Offline kyron4

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »
Dependig what you want to use it for you can use an Uzi pro magazine with a cz scorpion adapter, or you could ask about the adapter being filled while being printed all depends what you want to do with it. Here is a picture with the uzi pro 32rd all metal magazine with the 3d printed adapter

Did you mill the rails off the sides of that hand guard ?

Offline CaptJager

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
That is a friend's gun I believe he used a belt sander. I went with the HBI handguard.

Offline Kokopelli

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 11:31:27 PM »
Well I have the receiver vise block for any real work.  I like a magwell block for doing simple things like sights, optic, test-fits, etc..  I carved one from a polypropylene AR block for 9mm AR use, but the Scorpion mags are fatter.  The UZI Mag is a good idea.  Just thinking out loud and aclamating myself with the platform.

Online akuser47

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
I love the umpish looks of the scorpion with the UZI magazine inserted into it.