Author Topic: New to me Rami-range report and possible mods  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Clisbyclark

New to me Rami-range report and possible mods
« on: August 03, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »
I bought a LNIB 2016 safety model from an individual a few weeks ago and just got my first chance to put some rounds downrange today.  Prior to buying I had read all the glowing reviews about this pistol and felt for sure it would become my new favorite.  Initial inspection was very positive, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but IMO this is the best looking DA pistol I've ever laid hands on! (I don't know why but I hate the squared off trigger guards on just about all other CZs and clones).  The actual shooting experience was far less positive, unfortunately.  The trigger on this pistol is very gritty for the last few mms before firing.  For some reason this caused me to put a lot of shots to the left of aim.  With a rest and extreme care, shots came back to POA.  Something else I did twice in my two hundred rounds is accidentally hit the mag release during firing.  This dropped the mag about half an inch which prevented a fresh round from loading and required me to rerack the slide-something I don't necessarily want to do when it should ever be go-time.  The third incident was the front sight either lost its "dot" or it caked over with carbon from the shots-I tried to wipe it off but to no avail.  I figured I would put some good sights later so this is not that big a deal.  I called Scott at CGW and he recommended a race hammer for the SA, and the short reset kid for faster resets and better DA. The funny thing is that I have an inexpensive Tri Star T100 that came with  a very crisp trigger which I've been satisfied with.  Scott said it's just the luck of the draw with Cz-Some have good triggers while others are more like mine.    So, barring contradicting info from you, it looks like I'll be ordering some CGW goodies and be on the lookout for some better sights.  Any recommendations for sights for this pistol?  Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
Re: New to me Rami-range report and possible mods
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 02:10:30 PM »
My 2017 BD had the same gritty trigger that your gun has after about 600 rounds the trigger  was much better. After about 850 rounds I did a total tear down clean and lube and installed the CGW short reset system $62 kit. Wow I now have a very nice 7 1/4 lb. DA and a very good 3 1/2 lb. SA . The CGW kit came with 2 weights of hammer springs  and the extended firing pin.  The lighter spring gave me a few light strikes with cci primers but works great with Winchester and federal primers and most factory ammo.
After about 2000 rounds my DA feels like one of my S&W revolvers very smooth.  Yesterday I was shooting 10 shot strings at 5 yards on a 5" shoot N C target 2 handed from the ready I fired 100 rounds and only had 9 hits out of the black. The battery on my shot timer was dead so I didn't record any times but I had a blast I love this gun!

Offline zdr

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »
The CGW kit did magic to my safety model Rami. I now have it in my P07 as well. With patience, its an easy DIY upgrade plus you can polish the internals while its apart. You also learn a heck of a lot about how your pistol functions.

zdr

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »
The trigger on this pistol is very gritty for the last few mms before firing.  For some reason this caused me to put a lot of shots to the left of aim......   I called Scott at CGW and he recommended a race hammer for the SA, and the short reset kid for faster resets and better DA. The funny thing is that I have an inexpensive Tri Star T100 that came with  a very crisp trigger which I've been satisfied with.  Scott said it's just the luck of the draw with Cz-Some have good triggers while others are more like mine.    So, barring contradicting info from you, it looks like I'll be ordering some CGW goodies and be on the lookout for some better sights.  Any recommendations for sights for this pistol?  Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks

I don't keep any of the OEM hammers in my CZ's. Even if they are pretty smooth, the CZC Competition and CGW Race hammers are so nice that it's almost like you're being cheated without one installed. That's just my opinion.... and the opinion of every single person who has shot my CZ's and compared them to ones with an OEM hammer.  O0

Scott is correct, it is luck of the draw. If you are comfortable with DIY then I would highly recommend the polishing and at least the hammer. The videos in the sticky on the gunsmithing section should get you through your manual safety Rami. There are some differences, but they are close enough you should be fine. Fitting the sear to the safety for these hammers is also the same. If you don't want to do that you can order the adjustable sear from CGW.

From there it is just tweaking things to your liking. Short reset kit, reach reduction kit, extended firing pin and lighter springs for light DA. If you have specifics you want to address we can help with what upgrades will accomplish them.

PS - I put grip tape on the front and back strap of my Rami. It isn't too aggressive and makes it extremely comfortable to hold on to. I do this to all my CZ's and it is a big hit with everyone who shoots them, especially the Rami.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline CZRex

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 04:34:02 PM »
I changed springs and one of them got the pull weight down to about 3-4 lbs but that spring wouldn't light all of the primers.  We changed it to the other spring that comes with the kit and it took it to about 7 lbs and that's still a noticeable difference.  MUCH better. 
I've also added XS BIG DOT night sights to the Rami (also on my two Mod 2's) and that made a BIG difference, too.  I highly recommend those.
PTC, but Pine Mtn will always be home.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 07:35:35 PM »
Very nice!
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

anything