Author Topic: The Story of a Tristar / Canik P120  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Practical Shooter

Re: The Story of a Tristar / Canik P120
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
I haven't forgotten about posting, but having ordered some new sights to try on my P120, I was hoping to have them installed and tested by now. It is not the case. I will be getting delivery and install by next week. Possibly a video showing the finish product.
In the mid time,  I had to do some more shooting. I had to know more about my new acquisition.
I went through another 350 rounds last Sunday and am starting to have a fill, a very serious fill, about this Canik.
In the past, shooting 3 rounds burst through my Glock 19, G17or P320, the results were all the same, at best I had a 5" radius, now it's about 3" radius.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:12:19 AM by Practical Shooter »

Offline Moken

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
I love how easy follow up shots are with the P120. About the smoothest shooting pistol I've owned. I thought my Shark C was accurate until I got my P120!
Keep us posted with your upgrades!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:11:29 PM by Moken »

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 08:30:17 AM »
I love how easy follow up shot are with the P120. About the smoothest shooting pistol I've owned. I though my Shark C was accurate until I got my P120!
Keep us posted with your upgrades!
You are right Moken, and by seeing that improvement, it helps build confidence and encourages more training, which, as we know, is the eternal secret to perfection  8)
Cruising through the internet, I realized that nobody has made a complete disassembly and reassembly video specific to Canik's handguns. All that is available are for CZ's.
I have already disassemble my gun a few times for fun and for cleaning and have seen that some engineering differences between CZ and Canik.
So I decided to make a P120 specific video on how to disassembled and reassembled that handgun. For people who have made YT videos will attest, making such detailed videos with limited equipments is time consuming and will take a few days.
As of now, I am done filming the original video and am working on the editing part.
It should take a few days before I post it. Be aware that the video might be as long as 1 hour, so just another super boring video. I hope YT let me upload that length movie.

Offline Moken

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
Awesome! Can't wait to see it!

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 03:21:21 PM »
You wished for it and you got it  O0 O0 O0
A full 30 minutes of absolutely boring gun disassembly and reassembly, but if it's your thing, then go at it  ;D

Offline Moken

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
Good job! Great resource!

Offline gb6491

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 11:32:39 PM »
You wished for it and you got it  O0 O0 O0
A full 30 minutes of absolutely boring gun disassembly and reassembly, but if it's your thing, then go at it  ;D
Excellent, thank you!
Regards,
Greg

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
Good job! Great resource!
Excellent, thank you!
Regards,
Greg

Thank you for your support guys, even so the quality of the video is certainly not the best, I spent a lot of time making it, and your kind words make me want to keep it up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:57:15 PM by Practical Shooter »

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
I have seen with amazement that you made it through the first video (Full Lower Disassembly of the P120), so I am giving you the next video in the serie, full slide disassembly. I love dealing with masochists  O0

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »
I have had some nicks on the frame, the slide and the magazine release lever, showing some shiny raw steel surface. But, a little bluing took care of everything, and it looks like new again.
I now have over 1300 rounds with no complains. I dry fire at about 3 times the rate of live fire, and can tell you the DA trigger has become as smooth as silk. It could be a combination of the parts polishing with action and my finger getting stronger through constant DA training.

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:48 PM »
I have been looking hard at that gun for months now so I thank you for the review and the vids! I dont know how i have resisted this long. Oh thats right I am also restoring a 35yr old motorcycle :(

Regarding your sights .. I have never received sights for any gun that didnt need some fitting. Its one of those things I do where I take out my large work board and put it on a clean table, lay out a terry rag so I can put parts so they dont roll off the table, set a cold beer nearby, take out my black arkansas stone and a 1500 grit sand paper and my sight pusher and expect to spend 40 minutes to get perfect.

The CZ and clones throw in that extra challenge with the front pin doing double duty as you found out. Here is what I did. I took out my old sight. I measured carefully where on the new sight I needed a groove. I took a dremel cut off wheel ... one of the thicker ones and not the little tan jobs and just scored a line. Your pin wont fit in that groove. Next I took a small jewelers file, harbour freight has a cheap set and I have used mine for countless odd jobs. In the kit is a little triangular shaped one. The edge of the triangle fit near perfect in the groove I made with the dremel. Now it was just a matter of file file .. check fit remove, file file check fit remove. I could have probably opened it up a bit more but I went with pretty tight fit. Have shot some 300-400 rds since then and no flying parts.
alex

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 05:38:55 PM »
Great tip on the front sight Boriqua, I think the beer had a lot to do with the filing success  ;)

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »
I just want to confirm .. all the P120's in the various color flavors are STEEL frame right?

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 06:29:42 PM »
I just want to confirm .. all the P120's in the various color flavors are STEEL frame right?
In my flavor it is, and looks like the slide is aluminum.

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »
Only gun i have personally handled with an aluminum slide is my sr22. I am about 1000% sure the slide on the p120 is not aluminum.