Author Topic: New to the club  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
New to the club
« on: August 04, 2017, 05:47:47 PM »
Waffled back and forth as to what my next CZ was going to be.  Maybe a traditional 75B project for CGW... Called the LGS to see if they still had the 85B I saw during my Rami purchase.  Yes and what a test fire target!  They have another 85B (2015 vintage as was mine), a polshed stainless 8), a 75BD, SPO1 tactical, and the plastic ones.  I was in CZ heaven, but only walked away with the one.  Hopefully will clean off the cosmoline and throw some rounds downrange this weekend!

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
Re: New to the club
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:05:13 PM »
Well, at least I did clean the cosmoline off of it. . .  no shooting report yet.

Compared to my Matte Stainless, I can't imagine the lack of beavertail being a hindrance for me.  Plastic grips, meh.

Reading the earlier discontinued thread -- I'll be darned if I could find a site to buy spare slide stops for it.  Does this use the same right and left side slide stop as the 85 Combat?

It seems like there is a lot of love on the internet for the "combat" compared to the 85B, but I have high hopes for this one.  My mags drop completely free with authority despite the reviews to the contrary.  Cycled snap caps through both included mags.  Nice for a stock trigger and springs.  As expected long reset.  Both slide stops released when pressed.  I guess I should check my MecGars for operation from both sides. . .

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 06:29:00 AM »
I bought mine (both sides) from CZ Custom.

When you check magazines, also check that they feed whatever ammo you will shoot in the pistol.  Sometimes you'll run across a magazine that just doesn't "like" a certain size/shape/nose contour of some bullets.  I just ran into that last week with a P09 magazine.

And, I like the CZ 85 features better than a CZ 75.  So much so that I converted a CZ 75 Compact frame to allow the installation/use of CZ 85 slide releases and safeties.  I carry it regularly.

Good luck with it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:01:17 PM »
Finally put 166 rounds downrange.  I like it!  I was torquing a bit to the left with RH DA pulls, but no problems with SA shots.  I'm sure the 3 spring CGW kit would help to get this 85B more in line with the Matte Stainless.  Very similar feel over all.
I  Managed nicely with the strange for me 'tang vs the beaver/tail I've grown accustom to over the last few years. O0

Offline schutz85C

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 12:38:54 AM »
Congratulations! Let us know how your trigger work fares with new springs.
CZ 85 Combat, NRA Lifer.

The Guardian

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »
Springs give the best bang-for-the-buck on CZ's......I've done major customizations on CZ's but really the springs can make a really significant improvement in the trigger just by themselves.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
No mods as of yet except swapping the grips with the rubbers that came with my Matte Stainless.  Did shoot a couple of more mags with both 115gr and 147 FMJ with no issues.  Could definitely see more spread with the 147gr rounds, as expected with my full size Matte experience.

I really like the 85B!  Now I have to figure out which one to thoroughly Cajunize and when...Probably this new 85B, but IMO it is on par with my favorite Matte Stainless right now with everything stock!  May just have more fun with a SA shooting competition between the two to see if I gain more clarity.

Offline ss

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 04:22:22 PM »
Clarity will never come so you will end up doing both.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 12:59:31 AM »
Clarity will never come so you will end up doing both.

You might be right!  If I cajunized the 85B, then the Stainless would get jealous.  I guess that would be my goal as originally suggested.

That said, my 85B is a shooter!  Its still stock except for the stocks, but produced great groups for me with another 100+ rounds to include double taps, one-handed right hand out to 15 yds (I'm primarily right handed) and one-hand left hand.  I may have done my best left handed shooting ever!  SA held very nice groups at 10 yds..  DA left handed, I tended to pull to the right of center (it is a really stiff DA with stock springs as ya'll probably know).

I think the Matte Stainless is already getting jealous.  Only the 85B, the PCR and the Sig 1911 made the trip for target shooting this time around.  Poor Matte!

Offline ss

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 07:41:57 AM »
 Well i suppose it would help if I told you about this big colorful bag of springs that i just found. A tuners kit for recoil springs. Also a couple extra reduced trigger springs and a black and blue hammer spring. I believe that the white one is in it now. Or how much smoother it is with a flgr added. The 85c locked up 1 time at the range with the stubby rod so it went. I didn't like having to tap a loaded gun on the little table in the range booth to free it back up.

I'm a trigger pull junkie so its a smooth sao. My rifle is 4oz, cz 1.5lb, 1911 2-3/4lbs, Browning .22 3lbs and ar comes in at 3.5lbs. You havent lived till you have shot a accurate handgun with a trigger as light as the cz can be.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »
I also have baggies of spare parts, cgw 3 spring kits, pins, etc. and did lighten up the Matte Stainless.  I left the 85B alone since I think its going to CGW for all that stuff and polishing, a new hammer, sights, bushing, short reach trigger and reset ...  just having some fun beforehand.

PS The tritium sights of the sig, esp the rear is really a distraction under the indoor lights.  Usually I can just ignore the lamps with great success.   For some reason this time the reflection of the ceiling lights were getting to me.  As such, the 1911 wasn't the day's first place performer.