Author Topic: 455 scout vs savage mkii  (Read 2636 times)

Offline christopher78

455 scout vs savage mkii
« on: August 06, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »
So I have my first 22 can in jail atm and am thinking about possible hosts.  My original intent was to use it on my 10/22 TD, but lets face it...the Ruger is far from an accurate rifle, and getting either a Volquartsen or TacSol barrel would set me back the cost of a new rifle.  I have my 452 trainer that I love, but not about to thread, which leaves me looking for alternatives.  So that leaves me looking at the CZ 455 Scout and the Savage.  I know with the savage I will be looking at a new stock no mater what.  But likewise with the CZ I will be ditching the scout stock for a full size as well.  I know I could go with another 455 model and just get the scout barrel, but in the end, I still feel that the savage would be less expensive.  But price being equal, I am really looking for some practical experience with these two rifles.  I myself am a huge cz fanboy, and expect allot of responses to mirror my own bias....but at the same time, just looking for some good feedback.  Oh, and the primary purpose of this rifle would to be a suppressor host, as well as a range toy with limited squirrel duty (god I have allot of 22's to fill that job).

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
Re: 455 scout vs savage mkii
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »
The CZ is a much better built rifle than the Savage.  Many Savages are accurate and shoot very well, but they just feel cheap to me.  Many of the models that come with a Boyds stock have rough spots in the wood that weren't properly sanded down (I have the same gripe on many new Rugers).  The CZ rimfires don't often come with the best looking wood, but at least they aren't any rough spots on them.

The Savage comes with a button rifled barrel.  The CZ comes with a hydraulically lapped, hammer forged barrel.  While button rifling and hammer forging both can make an accurate barrel, CZ goes the extra step by lapping the barrel for you.  This is huge to me.

For comparison, here is what a new CZ rimfire barrel looks like:

And here is what a new Savage barrel looks like:

While both rifles have well defined rifling, the vertical marks on the Savage are from the button rifling process.  It isn't nearly as smooth or polished as the CZ.  These microscopic lines serve as areas where lead, copper, and residue will deposit.

For my money, I would go with the CZ.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
I'm with JLJ.  I have the Savage and the bore is a little rough.  I'm going to get a CZ myself.  Some time.
Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline nonamehavei

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:30:36 PM »
I had a savage FVSR for many years as a .22 suppressor host. I used to love that rifle, until I took it to a range day and shot it head to head with a buddies CZ 455 tacticool. I sold it that day and ordered a CZ to replace it.
5 shots at 100yds this weekend with American eagle subs. I really like it!
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
    Douglas Adams

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »
This my oldest boy's 452 Scout at 25 yards with a cheap BSA scope and Federal Bulk Champion HP's.  This is what you can do with a good gun with an OK trigger, a cheap scope, and junk ammo.

Offline christopher78

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »
Yeah, think I will go with the Scout.  One thing that I did notice is that CZ does not sell the scout barrel independently.  IMO this kinda sucks, as it isn't as simple as buying a rifle configuration "say an American" and picking up the barrel I want.  Instead, I will have to get the Scout than a stock....and another barrel.  Of course, the main reason why I want the Scout is because I am a believer in Iron sights....and the Scout also comes threaded 1/2 x 28.  So I guess the only other question that I have is....in your opinion, will one of the suppressor ready CZ's out perform the Scout in the accuracy department....provided no difference in the stock?

Offline Trblshtr

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »
I can't speak directly to the accuracy of a 455 Scout vs some other suppressor ready 455 but would wager that any difference would be due more to normal manufacturing variances between barrels of the same type rather than systemic differences between models.  For example, my 452 Scout is my most consistent CZ at 100 yards and is the equal or better of any of my others at 50.

I have swapped my 452 Scout into stocks from my Trainer, UltraLux and a Silhouette/Style stock I got on clearance from CZ-USA with excellent results from each.  I also discovered that another option (especially if you don't have several other stocks laying around) is to use a small Pachmyar Decelerator slip-on recoil pad on the factory Scout stock.  These fit tightly on the CZ Scout stock I have and increase the length of pull by a full inch which closely matches the LOP obtained by using a full sized CZ stock.  I was already using the Pachmyar on a Winchester Model 94 to increase its LOP when shooting silhouette so I was fortunate to have that option to try.  I would feel comfortable using the Pachmyar pad instead of a full size stock if that was my only option (right now my Scout is in the Trainer stock and the Trainer wears the Style/Silhouette furniture).
Steve

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »
Use to do the Scout in a full size stock then just bought an American with the 16" threaded barrel. Sounds like just what you are looking for. And yeah it is as accurate as any other 452; that would be outstanding.

Sorry still in picture post limbo, but here is a listing,
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/53555/redirect

The 455 model
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/91644/cz-usa_cz_455_amer_synsuppressor_ready_bolt_22lr_165_5+
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:37:19 PM by AZ_CZ »
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Jptopdwn

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 11:31:34 AM »
I have been on the fence about purchasing a nice .22 bolt action, but after seeing those barrel pictures.....I am definitely sold on the CZ.

Offline KnightSchneider

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 12:13:26 PM »
CZ does still offer the suppressor ready carbine; unless the iron sights are what you're wanting.

I have two of the 455 scouts; I have been running them with irons, but am just waiting on some rings I ordered to scope one up.  I have found them to be superb little rifles; with irons both will group sub 1" at 50 yds; I can only imagine this will shrink with a nice Leupold 2-7 rimfire.  I love the quality of the rifles; the action is superior to the Savage.  Savages are accurate, good rifles, but they are relatively cheaply built, and the action is not as nice.  These two 2017 455's have the nicest stock triggers of any 455 I've gotten to date, so CZ must be continually working on things.

The 455 scout gives you further benefit in that it is readily convertible to other calibers and configurations; I consider my 455 Scouts as backup receivers should any of my .17HMR 455's go down for whatever reason.

The bolt action is the way to go if you really want to wring out the full benefit of the suppressors; the semi auto action adds a bit more noise to it.  With the bolt action, if you are using quiet ammo, the firing pin dropping is about all you hear, aside from the bullet impact.
Some will die in hot pursuit in fiery auto crashes.
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes.
Some will fall in love with life, and drink it from a fountain, that's pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.