Author Topic: Need feedback on Scorpion pistol SBR.  (Read 2991 times)

Offline zanemoseley

Need feedback on Scorpion pistol SBR.
« on: August 06, 2017, 09:37:59 PM »
Of those of you that have gone through the trouble to convert the scorpion pistol in to a true sbr with the CZ 922r kit what has your experience been like. I don't have the scorpion pistol yet but am thinking of getting one with the sole intent of converting to sbr. This would be my first NFA item so I would like some feedback before taking the plunge.

Offline KeithB

Re: Need feedback on Scorpion pistol SBR.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 09:43:43 PM »
I have a pistol I submitted a form 1 on late August 2016.  Still waiting...

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »
Pistol plus factory stock with tailhook kit = as close to sbr as possible. Save $200 in tax stamp and year of waiting for a $220 brace and ready for shootin.
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »
Pistol plus factory stock with tailhook kit = as close to sbr as possible. Save $200 in tax stamp and year of waiting for a $220 brace and ready for shootin.

^ This.  Skip the 922r, SBR, and $200.  You'll be up and running in days...

Offline zanemoseley

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »
Yeah but I'll always be wondering about the shouldering issue. I know some people just shoulder it and don't worry about it but I'd prefer to not be looking over my shoulder the entire time I'm at the range and having ATF wannabes telling me I'm committing a felony. What has your experience been taking the tailhook to the range.

Offline funkeruski

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 01:15:47 AM »
I SBR'd mine, but as good as these "braces" are now, I'd go that route if I had to do it over again.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »
Well if you're dead set on sbr brace it while you wait atleast. You're looking at a year wait on a stamp
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Hutehund

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 12:10:41 PM »
I SBR'd mine, but as good as these "braces" are now, I'd go that route if I had to do it over again.

I agree... I've already SBR'd mine too, but that Tailhook looks like a game-changer.  The suppressor stamp was a big enough pain... As sweet as the factory stock is, the difference between the rubber but pad and that Tailhook brace isn't enough for me to go the NFA route again.
Take responsibility for your actions.

Offline mdewitt71

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
I think the Scorpion being shot as a pistol without a stock (or brace) sucks.... even with a sling drawn tight, it isnt that impressive to me.
I bought it only to SBR it and am glad I did, it is one of my favorite rigs to haul around in a smaller bag and shoot at the range.

Does going thru the hoopla of a tax stamp suck? Heck yes but, I do not want to have to watch where and when I shoulder a freaking brace for someone to cry and moan about it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- Richard Grenier

Offline WaltherP99

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »
You're looking at a year wait on a stamp

Not gonna be a year if he submits now. I bet the stamp comes back in 6-8 months. Times are slowly dropping now due to being through the 41F choke.

Offline tact

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
A Form 1 SBR is actually quite easy and times are getting better.  In reference to shouldering a brace, thought the ATF  reversed decision on the brace thing......am I wrong? 

Offline mdewitt71

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 03:59:19 PM »
A Form 1 SBR is actually quite easy and times are getting better.  In reference to shouldering a brace, thought the ATF  reversed decision on the brace thing......am I wrong?

and how long before they reverse it again?
How about a Barney Fife hill billy cop that does not know any better....
I choose not to deal with it at all.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- Richard Grenier

Offline tact

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 04:03:43 PM »

and how long before they reverse it again?
How about a Barney Fife hill billy cop that does not know any better....
I choose not to deal with it at all.
I agree with you, which is why I elected to file a few Form 1s myself.  I was just curious and might've considered using a brace while I waited if they had reversed it a couple years ago.

Offline zanemoseley

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »
Doesn't the new terminology apply to "occasional" or "inadvertent" shouldering. If someone watches your range session where you dump 300 rounds downrange off the shoulder it could be considered a redesign.

Offline Quercusmax

• It wasn't my fault
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »
Got my EVO last year and had lots of fun with it, even as just a "pistol".

Then got a brace, and my enjoyment went up dramatically, along with accuracy.  It became really obvious why you need the stabilization.  Although the brace worked OK, it just didn't look right; it didn't fold; and didn't fit in the EVO case.

So I got on the waiting list for the first SBR kits, which took months to arrive.  But not as long as my tax stamp, which took 10 months, including the "correction" that I was asked to make..

Put that all together, and am VERY satisfied because it all looks and acts right, as CZ intended, and fits perfectly in its case.  Yes, I paid more than some might have (and EVO prices have come down a lot recently), and the difficulties of taking it out of state make it more complicated, but I've gotten amazingly fast turn around from ATF on those forms via e-mailing them in.

It's a 2-stamp affair, but I haven't yet had time to try out one of my suppressors with it yet.  I am expecting the fun to go up another notch when that happens.

If it's popular, I'm against it.

anything