Author Topic: Surplus CZ85s......worth it?  (Read 2966 times)

Offline tact

Surplus CZ85s......worth it?
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »

Admittedly I'm not very knowledgeable on these.  Can someone help me out and let me know if these are worth the price or a little high.  Thanks for your time.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Re: Surplus CZ85s......worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
If you don't mind paying for a refinish for $75 + shipping (or doing it yourself, cheaper), I don't see that you'd have much to lose at that price. It says they are fully functional in the ad.

You could probably get a better quality one for 5-600$ elsewhere and not need to do anything to it all except shoot it.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline tact

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:47:22 PM »
Ok.  I appreciate the advice.  Thanks.

Offline schutz85C

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:41:26 AM »
The CZ 85 with the round trigger guard might be interesting.
CZ 85 Combat, NRA Lifer.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:12:25 AM »
I bought a Pre B CZ 85 summer of 2016.

It is pretty nice, now.

Maybe I didn't have to replace all the springs, but I did, for my own piece of mind.

The barrel was pretty badly pitted, so I replaced it.

The outside was pretty rough, so I had it refinished (cerakoted).

The front sight was dinged up, so I replaced front and rear sights.

The grips were pretty badly gouged/worn, so I replaced them.

I have a really nice looking, reliable CZ 85 now, but I put a lot of money in it.

Serviceable?  Maybe it was "serviceable," but I would not have trusted the barrel as it was.

I would not do it again if I could not field strip and inspect the gun prior to buying it.

A used one from a gun show or gun store locally (where I could inspect it) sure.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline DeftSpecter

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »
Thinking of getting one of these from the same vendor. I'll report back if I pull the trigger.

Offline DeftSpecter

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »
Can anyone help me identify what kind of 85 that is based off the picture above?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »
Until I saw those for sale earlier this year I thought all the CZ 85's had ambidextrous slide release levers, as well as the ambidextrous safeties. 

Evidently, not all CZ 85's have slide release levers on both sides.

CZ is famous (if that's the right word) for making runs of special order handguns if the buyer orders enough of them.

The one in your picture shows it to have a firing pin block as well.  Not all CZ 85's have that.

I believe it's well understood that when you look at the pictures many internet vendors show of what they are selling that the pictures are not always accurate.  In other words, they may be selling a handgun of one model, but show a picture of another model.  Or sell used/surplus handguns in two or three levels of use/wear/handling damage and yet the pictures may be the same for more than one level/condition.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?