Author Topic: TSO safety is too sensitive  (Read 1826 times)

Offline S281

TSO safety is too sensitive
« on: August 08, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »
Got an issue with my TSO. Anytime I shoot using the gas pedal as the thumb rest, the back of my thumb slightly rubs on the safety when the gun recoils. It doesn't actually click on the safety but even barely grazing it activates the safety and the trigger won't pull. Such an annoying problem and definitely wouldn't fly in a competition. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing or is something wrong with mine? Don't really want to change my grip just for this gun. Trying to figure out my options.

Offline orthikon

Re: TSO safety is too sensitive
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »
My 9mm TSO's safety is stiffer than my other TS and doesnt have that issue.

The way my hands are, after disengaging the safety and having my strong thumb on the gas pedal, I can have my support thumb sit towards the rear of my strong thumb without riding on the safety. Have you tried that?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 02:24:04 PM »
Picked this out of another thread here.  I need to order a couple/three of these myself.

http://www.dsperman.com/products/CZSpring/CZSpring.html
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline muncie21

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
@s281 where is your strong hand thumb, over or under the safety?

I use a wider safety and rest my strong hand thumb on top, which forces the safety down.

Offline NMhvactech

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:00:54 PM »
I have a TSO 40 and my safety is super stiff!!! I'm looking at replacing it with a CZC or factory CZ Shadow 2 extended safety as I have to shift my grip to disengage it. I have yet to accidentally engage the safety. I wish the thumb rest was 1/8" wider and 1/4"longer ( 1/8" up / 1/8" lower ) though. I have changed the slide release out with the pin only, but I prefer a functioning slide stop. I just feel the metal of the slide stop has blocks my thumb a little bit.
All of that said, trying to shoot the TSO as fast as I can, some what accurately, I have yet to engage the safety! I think it's mostly a personal thing; size of hands, position of hands, grip under recoil.

Offline S281

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 02:09:45 AM »
My strong hand thumb is under the safety. The only way I can keep it from moving is to ride the top of it with my support hand thumb.

The safety seems to have a lot of slop in it before it hits the detent. It's not as positive on or off like a 1911. The safety is activated even with it just barely having pressure on it to push it into the 'slop' zone before it clicks past the detent.

Offline orthikon

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »
My 9mm TSO is stiff and has a very positive engagement.

Is this a new or used TSO?

Offline S281

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 01:19:26 AM »
I bought it brand new. I'll have to call CZ and see what they say.

Offline huskerlrrp

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »
Picked this out of another thread here.  I need to order a couple/three of these myself.

http://www.dsperman.com/products/CZSpring/CZSpring.html

I use these on all my CZs now. Helps avoid bumping the safety.

Offline ckohler3

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 08:09:28 PM »
I have the same problem with my two tone 9mm ts. I keep my thumb on top of the safety

Offline CzDave

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »
Don't understand why anyone would not ride over the safety?

I ride the safety on any SA gun including 1911's, and so does every professional or even decent shooter I have ever seen. I am sure there are exceptions, but I haven't seen them despite shooting matches all over the place nearly every weekend.

Not meant to bag on anyone, but if you do not ride the safety, I would seriously explore changing that technique. Just my opinion!

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »
Never did.  Right thumb lays on tip of the end of my right middle finger down on the left side of the grip (near the mag release button.)

Never had an issue accidently using either one (safety or mag. release).  Maybe my fingers/thumb are longer or the pistols don't move as much in my hand.  Different tools/methods for different people (like some guns shoot certain ammo better than others.)

On the M&P (.40 S&W) the thumb safety was much easier to move vs. the 9MM.  I remember (read it on the S&W M&P forum) that you could file the notch in the bar to make it deeper/sharper so the knob/post in the sear cage would catch if "harder".

I've not looked at the CZ parts (the left side safety shaft and the safety detent plunger (that pushes up against the left side safety shaft) to see if doing any stoning/filing to make the detent "shaper" might help make the safety harder to pivot.  Something to look at if you feel you need to have it set up to require more force to move from SAFE to FIRE.

Those stronger springs would be the easiest/quickest thing to do first though (at least for me).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline muncie21

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »
This is how I'm picturing you are holding your CZ

Here's how I hold mine

Notice that when your thumb is over the safety, you have a higher grip, as compared to the bore axis.  This helps to manage/control recoil, at least for many people.  Another benefit of the higher grip is that you are exposing more of the left side of the grip, for your weak hand to, well 'grip'  8).

Not saying this grip is the best for everyone, I'm a 'C' shooter, so I still have lots to learn.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 07:53:14 AM »
Muncie 21, that first grip looks like it would be a problem.  I can see why the thumb would make contact with the bottom of the safety lever.

Offline S281

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »
Lot's of good info, appreciate the tips guys. I'm gonna try gripping different the next time out and may also install the stiffer spring for the safety. Still a newbie to the competition side of things and manual safety.

anything