Author Topic: Best cz for home defense (for my wife)?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline AZ_CZ

Re: Best cz for home defense (for my wife)?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 06:26:41 AM »
None of the above for home defense.
Get her a Scorpion rifle. Unless she is going to spend some time at the range learning to shoot go with a pistol caliber rifle . The stock configuration makes shooting easy and accurate. My gals at home all shoot but agree that is their go to unit. Thier two favorite features are the red dot sight and 30 rnd mag.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »
None of the above for home defense.
Get her a Scorpion rifle. Unless she is going to spend some time at the range learning to shoot go with a pistol caliber rifle . The stock configuration makes shooting easy and accurate. My gals at home all shoot but agree that is their go to unit. Thier two favorite features are the red dot sight and 30 rnd mag.
[2/quote]

Hey now!  I like your thought except for, "None of the above".
How about a Scorpion (PISTOL) and an all steel 75B Compact!!!?

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
Don't do the 22.  I know "little old ladies" who shoot full house 40 cal defensive loads.  The president of our local club is a grandmother, your wife's size.   She kicks my but in 3 gun, including using a 12 gauge.  Start her on a steel gun for first time out.   Make sure she has good ear protection.   Once she's ok with that let her try guns until she finds one she likes.

The last sentence here is the best advise in the entire post.
Let her find the one she likes.
Telling anyone to don't do the .22 is an opinion, not advice in my book. My wife has access to ........more then one gun of all sizes, brands, calibers and material types. She could carry and shoot anything she asked for. If she would carry it I would buy it for her! Between me and my friends she would be hard pressed to ask for a handgun to try that she wouldn't be able to have in her hands and be shooting in a day or so. She picked and carries the Ruger SR22. She actually carries it. If anyone tried to hurt her or my daughter I guarantee they would wished they hadn't. They would be full of small diameter holes.

I have an older buddy that I ride motorcycles with who carries a S&W 422. Its an older gun but he can shoot it accurately and very quickly. I asked him why he carried a .22 and he said "because I can shoot it and I am confident in it". Another guy we ride with poked the bear a little and said the .22 only get 10" of penetration and only makes a hole less then 1/4" diameter. To which my buddy replied if you don't think this .22 will stop you and cause you trauma I will stab you in the heart 10 time with a 10" phillips screw driver and see how your doing.

A human unless crazed with drugs or something, is different then a game animal. Game animals don't  know when they are shot they are supposed to die, so the run or fight to survive. Humans are conditioned to believe....OMG I'm shot I'm gonna die. A .22 will put that thought in almost every one that a bullet enters.
Let her shoot guns and do not prejudice her with your favorites or opinions because she may never carry then.

Now I am not the smartest guy in the world nor am I right everytime I open my mouth or touch my fingers to a key board. but taking .22 off the table if your wife wants to carry or learn to shoot is doing your wife a mis service in my opinion.

RCG
........Its that you shoot!

Online studenygreg

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »
I vote for a scorpion or a bren.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline Camaro400

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 01:34:54 PM »
My wife has a CZ 75 SP01 next to her at night. She loves it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 10:29:30 PM »
Don't do the 22.  I know "little old ladies" who shoot full house 40 cal defensive loads.  The president of our local club is a grandmother, your wife's size.   She kicks my but in 3 gun, including using a 12 gauge.  Start her on a steel gun for first time out.   Make sure she has good ear protection.   Once she's ok with that let her try guns until she finds one she likes.

The last sentence here is the best advise in the entire post.
Let her find the one she likes.
Telling anyone to don't do the .22 is an opinion, not advice in my book. My wife has access to ........more then one gun of all sizes, brands, calibers and material types. She could carry and shoot anything she asked for. If she would carry it I would buy it for her! Between me and my friends she would be hard pressed to ask for a handgun to try that she wouldn't be able to have in her hands and be shooting in a day or so. She picked and carries the Ruger SR22. She actually carries it. If anyone tried to hurt her or my daughter I guarantee they would wished they hadn't. They would be full of small diameter holes.

I have an older buddy that I ride motorcycles with who carries a S&W 422. Its an older gun but he can shoot it accurately and very quickly. I asked him why he carried a .22 and he said "because I can shoot it and I am confident in it". Another guy we ride with poked the bear a little and said the .22 only get 10" of penetration and only makes a hole less then 1/4" diameter. To which my buddy replied if you don't think this .22 will stop you and cause you trauma I will stab you in the heart 10 time with a 10" phillips screw driver and see how your doing.

A human unless crazed with drugs or something, is different then a game animal. Game animals don't  know when they are shot they are supposed to die, so the run or fight to survive. Humans are conditioned to believe....OMG I'm shot I'm gonna die. A .22 will put that thought in almost every one that a bullet enters.
Let her shoot guns and do not prejudice her with your favorites or opinions because she may never carry then.

Now I am not the smartest guy in the world nor am I right everytime I open my mouth or touch my fingers to a key board. but taking .22 off the table if your wife wants to carry or learn to shoot is doing your wife a mis service in my opinion.

RCG

RE:  .22LR:  Sure. . . a hard look and a stiff index finger poking within his jacket pocket might also stop the attack.  And, "I wouldn't want to get hit by one".  Sure, the bad guy might bleed out from your screwdriver or .22 -- hopefully sometime before he/she kills you.

Now for the serious failure in not letting one of us gun-guys pick out a gun for their girl:  PLAN FOR FAILURE!  GET HER THE ONE YOU WANT!  Then you have that gun when we she finally discovers it is a POS for her and buys something appropriate for her that can actually stop an attack with!  win/win.
 ;D

Offline Vinny

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 11:55:18 PM »
From your description of your wife I would not recommend starting her off with a 9mm. The recoil and noise is going to be more than she can handle and will very likely sour her on shooting forever. I started my wife on a 22 pistol, a P07, with the Kadet adapter mounted atop it. She shot very well and really surprised me. Even this size frame was large for her small hands. The recoil and noise were not not her complaint. She accompanied me to a well stocked gun shop where she had the opportunity to handle numerous 22 pistols. The Ruger SR 22 was her final choice. This is a hammer fired, DA/SA with a de-cocker and has an external safety. She is able to rack this pistol by herself which is critical to carrying or shooting. This alone was a significant confidence builder for her. It comes as a kit with 2 - 10 rnd. mags, back strap change, brush, cleaning swab holder and lock for @ $300.00. With the 22 LR self defense ammo available today, this is a very good candidate for a small shooter. She now accompanies me to the range on a regular basis. Let me tell you this is, "her gun", and she is very confident using it. I would not want to be down range when she would flipped off the safety. Good luck to you Sir in your quest.

+1 on the Ruger SR22.  It's very light, very accurate, very reliable (for a rim fire) easy to rack the slide, eats any ammo SV or HV and it's manual of arms is similar to a DA/SA CZ decocker if she eventually wants something bigger. It's also a fun gun to plink with in case you end up with it back in your hands.
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline t107

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »
Try the CZ 75 P01 or CZ75D nice shooters!

Offline sigken

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »
I've found women having hard time to rack the slides of the CZ75B, P01, PCR, and the likes. The reason is there isn't much to grab on. I would recommend the P01 but I find it the hardest to rack out of aforementioned CZs. Must have something to do with the stronger recoil string for NATO.

So I'd recommend the P07 for that reason. All CZ shoots well nevertheless.

Offline SKILCZ

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »
I'm looking for opinions on which CZ might be right for my wife. She's finally come around to the idea of learning how to shoot and I'd like her to have the best experience possible. She's kind of a featherweight (95 lbs soaking wet) and I'm worried that the handgun I already own (Desert Eagle .50 cal) is gonna be waaayy too much gun for her.

This wouldn't be for conceal and carry, just something she can keep by our bedside when I'm away for work, so the size really doesn't matter. I just wanna make sure it's got a lighter recoil than other guns. Ideally, I'd like her to have a piece with an easy magazine release and a smooth, comfortable grip.

Something smaller than a Beretta would probably be good, but I really don't know since I haven't bought a handgun in ages. I've been doing my homework online and I found this article of suggestions: https://gunnewsdaily.com/10-best-handguns-women/

Anyone here own any of these? She had her eye on the Glock 19 and I like that it says it's got a lightweight frame, but the S & W 66 looks more compact. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Given the bold portion above, I would go for a full sized gun (i.e. 75, SP-01, or P-09 for CZ).  Don't go compact or subcompact.  Smaller guns have less mass and tend to have more felt recoil.  A full sized CZ 75 or SP-01 (steel framed) or P-09 (polymer framed) will likely suit her well for your intended purposes, but if you can try them out first I would. 

I agree with the recommendations of having her try out some guns.  I wouldn't rule out revolvers, either.  A 4" revolver in .38 spl (look for a used Model 10 heavy barrel, maybe) is easy to shoot. 

Offline 808

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 12:27:14 AM »
Rent a bunch and let her decide. When we got back into shooting a bunch of my buddies brought a full array for her to try. Of course that was overwhelming trying to remember what was what and how it handled. Surprisingly she settled for a Glock G22 as her HD pistol. Over the years she has had the chance to try whatever I of friends had and she stayed with the G22. As I mentioned in another thread, she has problems with tendonitis in the thumb of her shooting hand. I tried to find something with a smaller grip and less snap and settled on a Gen 4 G19. It fit her hand but she still didn't like the "snap" even being 9mm. Didn't like my HK USPc or my Sig P226. Today she put a 100 rounds downrange with my (now hers) CZ 75b. Tonight I'm in the market for another CZ.
You just never know what fits until she says it does.

Online The Guardian

• Always watching...
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
I can appreciate that you would like a CZ for your wife.....realistically if she is comfortable with semiauto's that could be an option....but if she is new to guns in general or isn't really going to practice much a semiauto of any kind isn't the best choice.  For someone newer to the firearm world stick with a revolver, a S&W 640 with full grip not the boot-cut grip, loaded with 38's will be a much more useful and practical firearm....plus if she decides to carry someday, it fits that use as well.  Just another suggestion......been away from the forum quite awhile, good to be back  :)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »
Buy whatever gun you want to own next and let your wife try it - if she doesn't like it...onto the next one  O0

Offline Rhino

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »
Buy whatever gun you want to own next and let your wife try it - if she doesn't like it...onto the next one  O0

Blackwatch has just obtained legendary status!

A lady once asked my advise about which pistol she should get her husband, I asked her "Do you love him" no one found my dry sense of humor appealing.

Offline yrs

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
Definitely let your wife try a bunch different guns, calibers, etc. My wife started out on .22 guns, then didn't like 9mm handguns but found a liking for my 9mm Scorpion carbine. The idea is keep her interested in shooting, have her be comfortable around firearms, then there is much better chance she can find something suits her and she will not lose interest after the initial excitement wears off.