Author Topic: Best cz for home defense (for my wife)?  (Read 7439 times)

Offline slikshoes

Re: Best cz for home defense (for my wife)?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »
Not a CZ pistol, but would you consider a 20-guage shotgun?  Honestly ... I'm surprised I am the first to recommend one. 

If a shotgun is out of the question for whatever reason (and I suppose there are valid reasons), you'd be surprised whether or not she likes a subcompact vs a full size CZ.  My wife prefers the CZ 2075 Rami BD over the SP-01 Tactical due to size and weight.  She is also a featherweight but prefers the ergonomics of the smaller pistol.  It took a while for her to gain confidence w/ clearing malfunctions, but a lot of practice (which your wife should be thinking about regardless) leaves her squared away.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:50 PM »
Not a CZ pistol, but would you consider a 20-guage shotgun?  Honestly ... I'm surprised I am the first to recommend one. 

If a shotgun is out of the question for whatever reason (and I suppose there are valid reasons), you'd be surprised whether or not she likes a subcompact vs a full size CZ.  My wife prefers the CZ 2075 Rami BD over the SP-01 Tactical due to size and weight.  She is also a featherweight but prefers the ergonomics of the smaller pistol.  It took a while for her to gain confidence w/ clearing malfunctions, but a lot of practice (which your wife should be thinking about regardless) leaves her squared away.

Interesting comment suggesting a shotgun, and worthy of consideration. In the new September issue of Shooting illustrated the Mossberg Shockwave 590 shorty is reviewed. The writer comments that although he had not considered a shotgun for his 71 year-old Mother; when she asked him to recommend several firearms for HD to try; she found the Shockwave with low-recoil ammo to be the most comfortable HD gun among several she tried. Her small frail hands couldn't rack a Semi-Auto handgun slide; but she could rack the short-barreled Mossberg slide. There are also some fine 20 guage semi-auto shotguns. Easy shooting with low recoil ammo; and very, very effective at close range. Give her options and keep an open mind.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Vinny

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 09:28:08 PM »
I'm looking for opinions on which CZ might be right for my wife. She's finally come around to the idea of learning how to shoot and I'd like her to have the best experience possible. She's kind of a featherweight (95 lbs soaking wet) and I'm worried that the handgun I already own (Desert Eagle .50 cal) is gonna be waaayy too much gun for her.

This wouldn't be for conceal and carry, just something she can keep by our bedside when I'm away for work, so the size really doesn't matter. I just wanna make sure it's got a lighter recoil than other guns. Ideally, I'd like her to have a piece with an easy magazine release and a smooth, comfortable grip.

Something smaller than a Beretta would probably be good, but I really don't know since I haven't bought a handgun in ages. I've been doing my homework online and I found this article of suggestions: https://gunnewsdaily.com/10-best-handguns-women/

Anyone here own any of these? She had her eye on the Glock 19 and I like that it says it's got a lightweight frame, but the S & W 66 looks more compact. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Terry,
It seems like you're really trying to do your homework; but you might want to consider another perspective.
Pick up a September 2017 copy or on-line issue of American Rifleman and read the article: The Ladies Pistol Project. "An unabashed evaluation of 18 handguns by 35 Women" This will give you an informed viewpoint for Women written by Women.  Just Say'in.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline cz75bmb

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 09:31:28 PM »
I confess I have not read all of the posts.  But:
Re:  This wouldn't be for conceal and carry, just something she can keep by our bedside when I'm away for work
So, since you're not doing long-guns and a Chinese ak-47 is out and only CZ-pistols in, I would let her try your full-size CZ-75B, as it will
be the heaviest of your CZ's and therefore probably the most comfortable to shoot.  My 0.02.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 10:42:37 PM »

"Pick up a September 2017 copy or on-line issue of American Rifleman and read the article: The Ladies Pistol Project. "An unabashed evaluation of 18 handguns by 35 Women" This will give you an informed viewpoint for Women written by Women. "

To save y'all some time reading through the whole article......here were the 35 Women's top picks:

1. Sig P238
2. Walther CCP
3. Sig P320C
4. HK VP9
5 Springfield EMP4

Although there were several revolvers among the 18 guns they evaluated; NONE of the women picked revolvers as they found the heavy DA triggers too hard to pull and shoot accurately. (So much for what us guys think what guns women should have) Unfortunately, there were no CZ choices among the test guns; but you get the idea of what the women consider important: Grip size to fit their hands comfortably, ability to reach trigger and controls, ease of shooting IE lighter trigger pull, and ease of racking the slide. Maybe a P-07 or P-10C where the grip size can be changed?? I dunno.

It still comes down to what SHE wants; but based upon this survey, I wouldn't start a small-handed woman with a Full-Size CZ 75 because we think she'll be 'recoil-sensitive'. Certainly not if she can't reach the trigger or controls comfortably, rack the slide, or be comfortable with the gun's fully loaded weight. Yes, she can learn easier slide racking techniques, but why? Because YOU think that's the right gun for her?

Remember....A Happy Wife is a Happy Life!
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
My wife fell in love with the Canik T100 .. so an aluminum frame CZ kinda thing. I have a steel compact but she complains that it just feels too heavy with her arms extended. Now my wife works a physical job so she is not dainty but says she just doesn't like the weight. She shoots it well but doesn't enjoy it.

Funny but guys seem to want to buy their significant others a super light weight .. then the ladies hate it because of the recoil or something heavy and then they hate it cause its heavy. The t100 is in the middle and is her favorite gun and she came to it on her own.

While my wife wants nothing to do with a .357 recoil she has a good enough grip that she is not super recoil sensitive so Practice and good technique go a long way.

Offline KME

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 09:45:48 PM »
First, I would not choose the gun she buys, but I would point her in the direction she might find most appealing.

This is where I would start the search;

The Sig Sauer P238 is a great little .380. The easiest racking semi auto I have encountered, a big consideration for many women. Even though it is an alloy frame it is not too snappy. Mine is reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot.The downside is that it has a manual safety, a potential problem for a novice user in a high stress situation. Loaded with Underwood +P 90 Grain XTP JHP, it punches above its weight.

A small step up in size is the Glock 42, also .380 ACP. Very manageable recoil and like all Glocks, easy to operate.

If she can operate it, the Glock 19 is always my first suggestion for a handgun for novice users, 15+1 capacity (10+1 in my state) of high quality defensive ammo makes it a perennial first choice. Downside is some people cannot abide the grip and it can be hard for some people to rack.

I would not suggest she use my CZs. She might drop one and scratch it. Better she go down fighting then mess up one of my beloved CZs.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2017, 10:35:08 PM »
I found it interesting the HK VP-9 was #4 on the Women's preferred list, and with 15+1 9mm, and a rail for light and/or laser it's a very capable Home Defense pistol and I'm not surprised the Ladies liked it.

Although my VP-9 now has the heavier recoil spring (from the VP-40) it's still easy to rack because of the 'ears' at back of slide that are easy to grip onto. It also has 3 size adjustments to both backstrap and palm swells making a custom grip fit for small, medium, to large hands. All-in-all, a much better choice for women than a similar-sized Block, err ...Glock; and at least as reliable. The VP-9 is also relatively easy to shoot quickly and accurately with good grip, light trigger (mine is 4lbs-8oz) and very good sights (mine has the large 3 dot LE night sights). 

Honestly, with almost 3,500 rounds and all kinds of ammo without a failure of any kind whatsoever; it's probably the ONLY striker-fired pistol I'll end up keeping in my fleet. I personally prefer DA/SA (which is why I own a bunch of CZ's) but I understand why the Ladies seem to prefer a SA or Striker.

I wonder if they would have liked the CZ P-10C if they had one available??

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:44:30 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline JPCPTx

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »
After a trip to the LGS my wife picked out 2 pistols.  Cz 75b and a Sig 226.  She ended up with the CZ. 

She pretty much hated all the recommendations from everyone.   38 spc revolvers , .380's.  Best to let them rent and shoot at a local range.  I learned that the hard way.  I bought 3 pistols she didn't like.  Which I was forced to keep myself.  Sig p320, glock 26, s&w .38 :)

JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SKILCZ

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 04:38:37 PM »
After a trip to the LGS my wife picked out 2 pistols.  Cz 75b and a Sig 226.  She ended up with the CZ. 

She pretty much hated all the recommendations from everyone.   38 spc revolvers , .380's.  Best to let them rent and shoot at a local range.  I learned that the hard way.  I bought 3 pistols she didn't like.  Which I was forced to keep myself.  Sig p320, glock 26, s&w .38 :)

JP

Great choice! 

Offline cz75bmb

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »

JP

Out of curiosity, was it a full-size CZ-75B or a compact one?

Offline JPCPTx

Best cz for home defense (for my wife)?
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »
Full size.  Rubber Grips.  Think that combo help her manage the recoil.

JP

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 06:27:40 AM »
We really like those rubber grips.

The UG P01 I bought awhile back came with them and after shooting it I bought a set for my wife's CZ 75 Compact and then another set for the Pre B CZ 85 and another set for the CZ 75 SA.  They are great.  All the steel/aluminum framed CZ's we have now sport the soft rubber grips.

They really do seem to glue the pistol into your hand.

And the CZ 75 is a great gun.  Now, get her to the range on a regular basis so she can start getting comfortable with it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline JPCPTx

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 08:52:44 AM »
Now if only they had the same exact ones for the 97b. 

JP

Offline eastman

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
Now if only they had the same exact ones for the 97b. 

JP

They do - I have them on both the B & BD
I don't look like my avatar!