Author Topic: "New" CGW's sights for P10C  (Read 1623 times)

Offline BobcatAZ

"New" CGW's sights for P10C
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:44:41 PM »
I see CGW has added  "new" P10C sights to their website. I am interested in a FO front/ black rear but these appear to be the same sights Dawson has had for a little while now. Dawson shows the FO front as .125 which is wider than stock (.118). Dawson also shows their blacked out rear as having a .125 notch. I have no experience with FO sights but am trying to understand why this combination would be better than CGW's P07/P09 front FO sight and the P10 C's stock rear with sharpied out dots.

Offline Mjolnir

Re: "New" CGW's sights for P10C
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:27:42 PM »
I see CGW has added  "new" P10C sights to their website. I am interested in a FO front/ black rear but these appear to be the same sights Dawson has had for a little while now. Dawson shows the FO front as .125 which is wider than stock (.118). Dawson also shows their blacked out rear as having a .125 notch. I have no experience with FO sights but am trying to understand why this combination would be better than CGW's P07/P09 front FO sight and the P10 C's stock rear with sharpied out dots.

I run CZ Custom front, stock rear blacked out. I cannot wait until/if TRIJICON makes a proper set of sights for this pistol - and the P-07/09.

Everyone should call them requesting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:11:33 PM »
I sent Dawson a message. I don't think it is a .125 wide front with a .125 wide rear notch. Must be a misprint and CGW doesn't list dimensions unless I missed them.

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:55:03 PM »
As I admited, I have no experience with FO sights. I have searched here an elsewhere on recomended combinations of front post width and rear notch width and for whatever reasons found nothing. I have not seen the .125 front/ .125 rear combo  being sold for the P10C available for any other gun or by any other FO sight supplier. It seems like a .020 to .040 difference front to rear is common. Another thing I cannot understand is why they would not design the rear sight with a ledge for racking the slide. Even the stock sights have one. I am assuming that these "new" CGW sights are the same Dawsons as what Dawson is selling as a matched set.

Offline Reekus

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:41:02 PM »
Measured my Dawson FO sights with a set of Fowler Digital Caliper; fronts were .125, rears were .124. I would not have purchased the sights had I known this, I prefer to have a wider rear.

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 12:00:09 AM »
Was this the set specifically for the P10C recently added to their website? Would appreciate any photos showing the sight picture.

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 09:35:10 AM »
As I admited, I have no experience with FO sights. I have searched here an elsewhere on recomended combinations of front post width and rear notch width and for whatever reasons found nothing. I have not seen the .125 front/ .125 rear combo  being sold for the P10C available for any other gun or by any other FO sight supplier. It seems like a .020 to .040 difference front to rear is common. Another thing I cannot understand is why they would not design the rear sight with a ledge for racking the slide. Even the stock sights have one. I am assuming that these "new" CGW sights are the same Dawsons as what Dawson is selling as a matched set.

This little quote from Dave Sevigny's performance site mirrors the combinations I like:

Taylor your selection based on personal preference and type of shooting.

.150” wide rear notch with a .115” front- Best for practical shooting, speed steel and target shooting. Fairly open sight picture.
.125” wide rear notch with a .105” wide front- Best for practical shooting, speed steel and target shooting. Slightly tighter sight picture than the .150” rear/.115” front.
.125” wide rear notch with a .115” wide front- Best for PAR-time shooting sports and target shooting. Tightest sight picture.

Most of mine are like .140 rear with a .110 front as I like lots of light around my front sight for the type of shooting I do.
If those dimensions are right, I can't imagine anyone wanting a sight you can barely see through.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:38:25 AM by oldfrank »

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 01:05:09 PM »
Perhaps we can get CGW to post the dimensions of these new sights. I am guessing the dimensions shown on their website are the overall sight?

Offline Reekus

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
Disregard the grease the gunsmith got on the rear but here is a sight picture with the Dawson's. Not as bad as I had initially thought, but not as forgiving as you'd want.

Offline viking499

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 01:43:40 PM »
A couple strokes with a file on each side of the rear will help with that.

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »
Great photo! Is this the set Dawson label as NEW for the P10C? It looks like the post fills the notch similar to the stock sights. Would you have preferred a thinner front post? They sure look good. Notice any change in POA/POI?

Offline Reekus

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 05:10:48 PM »
POI is about 2" low at 10M from POA for me. I have the same sights on my glocks, and am used to a little more light between the front post. I haven't had enough time behind the gun to really make a decision on them, I'd like to try a match or two as well.

Also, it's all moot for me as I'll be going with an rmr after I've gotten used to the gun for a bit.

Offline HST

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
I installed the front FO site listed CGW as stock replacement height and it shoots 1 " low at 12 yards.
I am going to put the stock site back in . 

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 08:15:27 PM »
Okay, one more question about these "new" FO front/ blacked out rear sights being offered by Dawson and CGW. To be clear Dawson sells them as a set and CGW sells them seperately. Why is the front FO sight so short? While every other FO sight extends rearward over the set screw, these do not and appear to be the same length as the stock front sight. I would think that there would be a corresponding decrease in light gathering ability because of this. Otherwise all FO sights would be made as short as possible. So the front post pretty much fills the rear notch, no ledge to rack the slide and will likely appear dimmer. All I wanted is a better set of sights and having choices is good.  Just trying to learn a little from others with more experience before making a decision.

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
Just when you guys had thought I had asked my last question! Has anyone thought of trying ( or has done it) the .095 FO front sight (050-583) with the new .125 black serrated rear sight (018-588)? The fronts are the same height and would give a little more light between the post and notch. The .095 also appears to be longer  so in theory a little brighter.

anything