Author Topic: "New" CGW's sights for P10C  (Read 4982 times)

Offline Reekus

Re: "New" CGW's sights for P10C
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 10:59:04 PM »
I've carried my Dawson equipped P10c for a day now, spending most the day on the range. Post carry the rear sight had rust all over it. I live in a very very dry climate. It was hot and I was sweating some, but I am not a sweaty person to begin with. I am a thin person and was carrying AIWB.

I've carried the same glock 19 in the same place for 4 years and I have never seen this happen. I've also carried with Dawson sights and not seen this happen. So I'm wondering if there's a change in coatings on the sights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 11:55:43 PM »
Now there's a response I wasn't expecting! I would think there was no coating or treatment of any kind to rust in one day.  Are you in AZ by any chance?

Offline Reekus

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »
NM.

I believe they are supposed to be nitrided. But I notice that the CZ ones accumulate rust fast. My glock 17 has 15k+ rounds with the same Dawson sights with zero issues.

For myself personally, it's more motivation to throw an RMR on this gun anyways.

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »
Just a quick Google search shows you are not alone in the Dawson rusting issue. I believe Dawson even tells owners to keep them oiled up. Maybe different batches of metal are more prone to the issue, but one day? Couple more questions if you don't mind. First, would you say there is a little more light on either side of the front post vs the stock sights? Second, do you notice any difference in FO brightness compared to other front sights that are longer? Thanks again for all your help!

Offline Reekus

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 07:27:46 PM »
Good to know. I guess I could have googled it too.

I'd say the sight picture is the same or comparable to the Dawson's.

The Dawson's I've used on glocks seem to be more well lit.

Offline .45 acp nut

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 10:42:17 PM »
Dawson Precision: ?Perfect Impact Policy Applies *See Details* ?https://dawsonprecision.com/new-dawson-precision-cz-p10-c-carry-fixed-sight-set-black-rear-fiber-optic-front/      In the past I have asked for and received a different width front sight than the one listed in the set. As long as the width you want is cataloged, you should be able to swap-out for the size you prefer. Anyway, I have always had excellent service from Dawson Precision products. Never had any rust problems here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:46:00 PM by .45 acp nut »
Sempr Fi!

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 08:01:05 PM »
Was hoping to hear from other P10C owners who have installed either the front FO sight itself or the Carry set from Dawson.

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »
I installed the CGW Dawson FO front sight on my P-10C.

The front sight is .100 and the factory rear is .125 which to me is a better sight picture that the OEM or the Dawson set.

I measured as good as I could but don't hold me to the exact .001!

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »
That sight is CGW  #050-583, correct? Does the rear of the sight hang over the set screw hole? If so, I was trying to decide between that one and the front/ rear set that both CGW and Dawson both sell but the front sight in the sets is much shorter than the #050-583. Everything I have read states that the length of the fiber rod is the biggest factor in how bright the dot is so I am leaning toward the CGW front sight only. Any photos you could share would be appreciated!

Offline .45 acp nut

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 04:07:28 PM »
I see CGW has added  "new" P10C sights to their website. I am interested in a FO front/ black rear but these appear to be the same sights Dawson has had for a little while now. Dawson shows the FO front as .125 which is wider than stock (.118). Dawson also shows their blacked out rear as having a .125 notch. I have no experience with FO sights but am trying to understand why this combination would be better than CGW's P07/P09 front FO sight and the P10 C's stock rear with sharpied out dots.
When your eyes get to be over 60 years of age you don't even need to sharpie the rear sight, you can't distinguish the dots anyway!
Sempr Fi!

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 07:52:47 PM »
I see CGW has added  "new" P10C sights to their website. I am interested in a FO front/ black rear but these appear to be the same sights Dawson has had for a little while now. Dawson shows the FO front as .125 which is wider than stock (.118). Dawson also shows their blacked out rear as having a .125 notch. I have no experience with FO sights but am trying to understand why this combination would be better than CGW's P07/P09 front FO sight and the P10 C's stock rear with sharpied out dots.
When your eyes get to be over 60 years of age you don't even need to sharpie the rear sight, you can't distinguish the dots anyway!
I have scars older than 60  ;D

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »
If you are talking to me here are pictures of the sight. It is very bright, in fact many competition shooters use a black marker to cover some of the dot. A bright dot will sometimes make you "shoot the dot" on a long tight shot where you really need to see the front sight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 08:28:08 PM »
I really appreciate the photo and hearing your experience with this sight. FO looks at least twice as long as the one being sold in the matched sets. I am guessing a little brighter under less than optimum lighting and a little more daylight between the post and stock rear notch should help as well. Thanks again!

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 09:52:47 PM »
CGW front FO ordered today. Debating whether to attempt installing it myself or seeing if CZ Custom (5 miles away) would mind installing a competitors sight.

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2017, 10:22:58 PM »
CGW front FO ordered today. Debating whether to attempt installing it myself or seeing if CZ Custom (5 miles away) would mind installing a competitors sight.
Really easy to do, loosen set screw in sight,  if you have a vice pad it with wood, leather, whatever to hold the slide secure. Tap the old sight forward and off. A piece of wood and a small hammer will work.
Loosen set screw in new sight, tap it in and tighten the screw, done.
There is a screw in the new sight and an extra in the bag.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

anything