Author Topic: Upgrades to VZ 58 - optic mount and steel trigger  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Macmo

Upgrades to VZ 58 - optic mount and steel trigger
« on: August 09, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »
Hi All,

I'm fairly new to guns - wanted to get an AK till I heard about the VZ 58. I'm going to be buying one from Czechpoint soon and wanted your opinion on the optional upgrades as I haven't been around long enough to have an opinion.

Question #1: for $47 there's an option to have a steel trigger installed vs the glass US made trigger. Worth it?

#2: $98 gets you a skeleton side rail, and then there are two optic mounts you can buy. Are the optic mounts easy to place and remove (so that I could easily switch back and forth between some sort of an optic and the iron sites). I think I'll be starting with just iron sights, but I guess down the road having the option for an optic might be nice. It is kinda pricey though $98 + $67 for the riser.

I'm not planning on using this rifle for much other than having fun at the range, primarily between 50-200 yards.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Franz Maurer

• http://youtu.be/dtUdllX5Vpo
Re: Upgrades to VZ 58 - optic mount and steel trigger
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »
good choice
Yes you want all those options
they're not expensive at all in the grand scheme of things
just make sure to check carefully that the iron sights are not botched after you get your baby as they occasionally do really weird stuff to the irons hoping nobody would notice.
75B .40 ; P-01 ; kadet2 ; '94 witness .45 - slim nose 1of999 ; samopal vz.58 ; tin foil hat.

Offline Macmo

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
good choice
Yes you want all those options
they're not expensive at all in the grand scheme of things
just make sure to check carefully that the iron sights are not botched after you get your baby as they occasionally do really weird stuff to the irons hoping nobody would notice.

Thanks for the reply Franz.

Got thoughts on which optic mount I should select? 
https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/vz-58-gray-folder-beech?l=1
The two options are at the bottom of the page.  Would the ISC mount be preferable as it would allow me to use iron sights?  Do you know if the risers are easy to pop off if for some reason I want to run the gun for a day or two with exclusively iron sights?

Thanks for helping a noob out!

Offline Franz Maurer

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:31:41 PM »
general consensus is that RS-Regulate mounts are the bees knees
out of the two CSA ones the taller one looks goofy once on the rifle imho
yes it may allow you use of irons to the large extent but then the optic tends to end up high

you might want to first decide what stock you want
if you're keeping the original folding stock - not the most comfy thing in the world - lower mount might be better

if you're converting to straight stock setup higher mount might be better- maybe
it depends on the rings on optics' built in mount

it's always easier to raise the optic thru various means but you can't lower below what your mount provides
perhaps you should be more specific what optic you 're planning and get 23 other opinions

the irons suck anyway and proper cheek-rest is important
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:37:36 PM by Franz Maurer »
75B .40 ; P-01 ; kadet2 ; '94 witness .45 - slim nose 1of999 ; samopal vz.58 ; tin foil hat.

Offline Lomx138

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 09:32:37 PM »
Both the optic mounts (RS regulate and the CZs) are quick release, so are easy to slide on and off the side rail. The RS Regulate, at least the original version, is two pieces (one angular side rail, other the Picatinny top) yet still lighter than the CZ mount. I like the RS a little better. The CZ seems industrial strong. If for some reason you decide you want the goofy looking high CZ mount (ISC), I've got one still in the box I'd sell for a good bit less than what Czechpoint charges. Only reason I could see for the high mount would be if you wanted to sight in a red dot or short scope for 100+yds, and irons at 25yds.

Lomx138

Offline Macmo

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 02:08:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies, that helps a lot! An additional question- will I be limited to mounting something short like a RDS on the vz58 due to the ejection trajectory of the spent rounds? Would a 1-4x scope get in the way?

Offline Macmo

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 03:36:57 PM »
Been reading around the forum and seems like most people lean towards RDS or 3x optics. I'm thinking maybe a Primary Arms 3x - looks compact so I'm hoping it won't get in the way of the ejecting brass.

Offline Horse

• RS Regulate
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 06:55:09 AM »
If you want magnified optics on a VZ, use a prism optic like an ACOG or clone.  Why would you willingly block the ejection port and possibly induce jamming?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:38:07 PM by Horse »
Owner: RSRegulate.com

Offline Macmo

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »
Why would you willingly block the ejection port and possibly induce jamming?

Hey Horse,
I wouldn't willingly do that - which is exactly why I asked the question if a 1-4x would get in the way of the ejected casings.

I take it by your response that it would ;).

Thanks for the input, sounds like the PA might be a good way to go.

Offline Lomx138

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »
I use the Primary Arms 3x compact prism scope with the 7.62 reticle, no interference with ejection of casings.

Offline Macmo

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
Word! Thanks Lomx, think I'll go that direction.

Offline cchiang1

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 10:03:57 PM »
For those of us who can't afford an expensive optic like an ACOG, prefer a variable or higher magnification, or just want or need to use a longer scope, there is the option of using an angled case deflector attached to the optic or mount.  Although it doesn't eliminate the chance of cases bouncing back into the open top of the receiver, it should reduce it somewhat while protecting the scope from getting dings, especially for the intended range use the OP mentioned.