Author Topic: Gun storage  (Read 397 times)

Offline Rhino

Gun storage
« on: August 12, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Just wondering about how others store their firearms at home and in vehicles i.e. Safe, lock box, vault, discreet hide always, sock drawer etc.? I know some states have bare minimum requirements on storage of guns. If you store guns in a safe share with us what brand/type safe you chose and why. I have a Liberty "Fatboy" safe that I got because of size, fire/security rating, value. What are your opinions and I know a safe is only one part of overall security with security alarms, dogs, ill tempered badgers etc. being others to be a deterrent to those of low moral character out to commit dastardly deeds on unsuspecting victims. Thanks

Offline Tanners Owner

Re: Gun storage
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 04:13:24 PM »
Good thread started- I too am interested in what folks are securing their guns in inside their vehicles.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »
House - some (most by far) are in a big old safe.  Safe was 600 lbs. empty, no idea what it weighs with the guns in it.  What's not in the safe (mostly handguns and a couple long guns) are out of sight.  Can't see the handguns, have to know where to reach (under/in/on top of) to put your hand on it.  Long guns are in the case, magazine loaded, but not in the rifle, also out of sight.

Car - handgun are on me, when I leave the car they do, too.  Unless I'm going into the county courthouse, which I try to make sure I don't have to do more than once every 5 years when I renew my concealed carry permit.  On a road trip I have a rifle, or two, in the trunk of the car, or behind the seat of the truck, but we don't leave the car unattended.  It's only a 4 to 5 hour trip home and everything is unloaded and carried into my mom's house when we get there.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 06:56:47 PM »
In addition to a safe for my handguns, I recently purchased a Hornady Security 'Rapid Safe' AR Gunlocker (model 98190) for my short-barrel shotgun that's bolted down under our bed frame. Opens with either a 6 digit code or an RFID wristband. If the SHTF I pass the wristband in front of the safe which opens the spring-loaded door automatically; grab the shotgun (while the wife auto-dials 911 on the cellphone). This only takes a few seconds; as I just don't like the thought of leaving a loaded shotgun not locked away, especially when I leave the room. I sometimes keep a loaded handgun in there too. Got it on sale for $250. IMHO it's cheap insurance.
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Firearms Depot

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
Besides the (2) 1800# Champion safes https://championsafe.com/product/supreme-series-home-fire-gun-safe/  bolted to the concrete floor, I use Monster Vault under the bed safes https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/products/monster-vault-under-bed-gun-safe-monstervault?gclid=CjwKEAjw6ZLOBRCLyNXAwfCPmlQSJADHPIJbJTaji6NiFWKZj5i2N-nDqFfmpnMcUNY3MsqavQIwlBoCPOXw_wcB&variant=26016169921 that are just secure enough to keep the cleaning lady, grand kids, etc out of them. Lastly, since I'm an FFL I use the ADT Pulse security system with 10 cameras.
FBI stats show that the a high percentage (can't remember the #) of burglars leave even the cheapest safes alone because of the time factor involved to penetrate them. With the alarm blaring and the Calvary in route, a smash and grab is a better route to go.