Author Topic: Gun storage  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Rhino

Gun storage
« on: August 12, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Just wondering about how others store their firearms at home and in vehicles i.e. Safe, lock box, vault, discreet hide always, sock drawer etc.? I know some states have bare minimum requirements on storage of guns. If you store guns in a safe share with us what brand/type safe you chose and why. I have a Liberty "Fatboy" safe that I got because of size, fire/security rating, value. What are your opinions and I know a safe is only one part of overall security with security alarms, dogs, ill tempered badgers etc. being others to be a deterrent to those of low moral character out to commit dastardly deeds on unsuspecting victims. Thanks

Offline Tanners Owner

Re: Gun storage
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 04:13:24 PM »
Good thread started- I too am interested in what folks are securing their guns in inside their vehicles.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »
House - some (most by far) are in a big old safe.  Safe was 600 lbs. empty, no idea what it weighs with the guns in it.  What's not in the safe (mostly handguns and a couple long guns) are out of sight.  Can't see the handguns, have to know where to reach (under/in/on top of) to put your hand on it.  Long guns are in the case, magazine loaded, but not in the rifle, also out of sight.

Car - handgun are on me, when I leave the car they do, too.  Unless I'm going into the county courthouse, which I try to make sure I don't have to do more than once every 5 years when I renew my concealed carry permit.  On a road trip I have a rifle, or two, in the trunk of the car, or behind the seat of the truck, but we don't leave the car unattended.  It's only a 4 to 5 hour trip home and everything is unloaded and carried into my mom's house when we get there.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Vinny

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 06:56:47 PM »
In addition to a safe for my handguns, I recently purchased a Hornady Security 'Rapid Safe' AR Gunlocker (model 98190) for my short-barrel shotgun that's bolted down under our bed frame. Opens with either a 6 digit code or an RFID wristband. If the SHTF I pass the wristband in front of the safe which opens the spring-loaded door automatically; grab the shotgun (while the wife auto-dials 911 on the cellphone). This only takes a few seconds; as I just don't like the thought of leaving a loaded shotgun not locked away, especially when I leave the room. I sometimes keep a loaded handgun in there too. Got it on sale for $250. IMHO it's cheap insurance.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Firearms Depot

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
Besides the (2) 1800# Champion safes https://championsafe.com/product/supreme-series-home-fire-gun-safe/  bolted to the concrete floor, I use Monster Vault under the bed safes https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/products/monster-vault-under-bed-gun-safe-monstervault?gclid=CjwKEAjw6ZLOBRCLyNXAwfCPmlQSJADHPIJbJTaji6NiFWKZj5i2N-nDqFfmpnMcUNY3MsqavQIwlBoCPOXw_wcB&variant=26016169921 that are just secure enough to keep the cleaning lady, grand kids, etc out of them. Lastly, since I'm an FFL I use the ADT Pulse security system with 10 cameras.
FBI stats show that the a high percentage (can't remember the #) of burglars leave even the cheapest safes alone because of the time factor involved to penetrate them. With the alarm blaring and the Calvary in route, a smash and grab is a better route to go.

anything