Author Topic: Question about non-compete agreements for OEM mags  (Read 244 times)

Offline OldGringo

Question about non-compete agreements for OEM mags
« on: August 12, 2017, 07:57:52 PM »
I know that Mec-Gar is the OEM manufacturer for many brands of mags including CZ.

My question is, do the non-compete agreements with firearm manufacturers expire (after x number of years) or are they more or less permanent as long as Mec-Gar provides OEM mags?

For example the CZ SP-01 mags are expensive and not as good quality IMO as the blue-follower anti-friction Mec-Gar branded mags with the optional +2 baseplate (which is what I now use exclusively). Of course the CZ 75 design is now common.

Contrast the above with the P-07, P-09, P10 mags which are newer proprietary design. The P-07 mags in particular are eye-watering expensive and are only available from CZ. Will there be a time (several years from now maybe) when Mec-Gar could offer its own blue-follower anti-friction after market mags for sale at a cheaper price?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Question about non-compete agreements for OEM mags
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »
Good question to ask on the Mec-Gar forum page here..
A past reply covered "some" of your question.  Mag development for newer pistol model is a "very" expensive proposition.  Demand needs to be high.

Also,  it may or may not be allowed in the CZ contract.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:35:59 PM by 1SOW »

anything