Author Topic: Canada wants to ban handguns and more  (Read 6138 times)

Offline CanuckZ

Canada wants to ban handguns and more
« on: December 10, 2005, 07:57:00 AM »
Don't brush this one off people.

I am known as CanuckZ because I am Canadian and I own many CZs.  And it seems I am now screwed.

The Occupational Liberal government have promised during our current election to outlaw handguns across the country, with Prime Minister Paul Martin branding the weapons as nothing but instruments of threat, intimidation and death.

Martin's pledge for a "Canada Handgun Ban" is part of a sweeping Liberal anti-crime platform, announced Thursday from a section of Toronto that has seen dozens of people cut down from gunfire this year.  

The Liberals say the homicide rate jumped 12 per cent in 2004. And in the past four years, handguns have accounted for roughly two-thirds of gun-related murders -- up from approximately one-half in the nineties and one-third before 1990.

"This is not the Canada we imagine,'' Martin said from the Jane and Finch area of Toronto. "It isn't the Canada we want for our families."

But while few have argued with the need to fight gun violence, many are expressing criticism toward the Liberal government's proposal to outright ban handheld firearms.  They say the Liberals have trained their sights on the wrong target.

The Liberals say they will ban handguns by:

making amendments to the criminal code, inviting participation of provinces and territories to make the ban national;

putting forth a handgun amnesty and buy-back program, based on an Australian model, to collect existing handguns; and

starting a national "Gunstoppers Program"  which would reward those who provide information leading to the removal of an illegal gun from the street.

75 new Canada Border Services guards at the border to stop illegal importation of handguns from the U.S.

They will create a 250 member  RCMP Advanced Community Safety and Rapid Enforcement Team (doorkickers).

"Taken together, these are reforms designed to reduce crime, to combat gun violence in our cities and better protect Canadians," said Martin.  

www.theglobeandmail.com/s...TopStories

www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs...8332188492

www.liberal.ca/news_e.aspx?id=1142

KingPolymer-III

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 10:04:17 AM »
I think the war in Canada for freedom is lost.  I would strongly recommend that you move here.

Offline CanuckZ

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 10:09:13 AM »
The thought has crossed my mind.  But you know...the taxation system, mortgages, etc. keeps you down.  That kind of move is difficult.  But I am seriously considering it.  Georgia on my mind.

KingPolymer-III

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 10:13:13 AM »
Georgia is great, we would be neighbors,  I am in Florida, both Florida and Georgia are very firearms friendly and have full concealed carry reciprocity.

Offline EZ CZ75

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 10:50:57 AM »
Hey, what about Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana?  That way you can still enjoy the cold weather and have all four seasons.  Come visit.  I'll take you frostbiting!  Uhh... I mean skiing.:lol

CZJedi

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 11:06:36 AM »
Don't forget Pennsylvania (just not Philly or Pittsburgh). We have full concealed carry (unless you are a Philly resident), and great hunting. In fact, PA has more hunters on opening day of buck season than any other state in the Union!

Offline CanuckZ

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 11:08:52 AM »
Never thought about it, but will.  I guess I don't know much about these places.  Research, research!

Offline Otto N Sure

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 11:51:56 PM »
Howdy!

Think about Nevada!  Yeah, Nevada!!  We have less than a 4.9 percent unemployment rate here in the state, we will have the largest public shooting range in the U.S. soon, and it's a pretty gun friendly enviroment.

Otto N. Sure

Offline CanuckZ

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 11:43:49 AM »
Sent for tourism packages from Penn and NV.  Thanks.

CZJedi

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 12:09:15 PM »

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 12:50:17 PM »
Minnesota = 'shall issue' CCW + winters that would freeze the balls off a legion of brass monkeys + great hunting, fishing, people and all the rest of the good life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline CanuckZ

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 12:56:54 PM »
If I have to move, I'm trading in the snow for good.  Thanks, though.

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 01:13:39 PM »
Howabout AZ? Reason I say so, is my Dept, ADC, will hire on a green card, if you don't have dual citizenship. Our CCW is shall issue, open carry legal, no waiting period/AWB/magazine ban/purchase frequency restrictions/ammo bans, so many good things, too hard to list. Lotsa beach, but no ocean.... Not all of AZ is searing desert, either, not by far.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 02:10:29 PM »
Quote:
Not all of AZ is searing desert, either, not by far.

What about the rattlers? 8o
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline raro

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 08:08:33 PM »
I would urge you to stay where you are and fight for what you believe.  It doesn't matter where you go, there are those that would disarm civilians under the guise of crime control or reducing violence.  From what I have read you have many of your countrymen already speaking out against the stupidity of confiscation.  I think they could use your support, if you have not already done so.  My two cents (Canadian or American) take your pick.

Have a good day, and shoot safe!

Ralph