Author Topic: My first time....VZ2008 to the range  (Read 2426 times)

Offline CCW-Ohio

My first time....VZ2008 to the range
« on: August 18, 2017, 04:54:11 PM »
In short, well, that was FUN!!

Decided I'd take my newly acquired rifle to the range to function check the puppy!! I have 2 mags and side-folding original stock. Rather than following my past pattern of accessorizing before firing, I wanted to see if I like this gun.

Yes, I do!!!

Now its ON!! So, I'm interested in your path of upgrading your VZ. What did you add/change in order (first, second, etc)? What did would you have done differently now that you've had your weapon for awhile? Looking for collective wisdom and approaches to this.

I may just leave it like it is; beaver barf and all. My rifle did come with an additional brake to the slant AK style one.

Phil

Offline TJNewton

Re: My first time....VZ2008 to the range
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »
Not much to do with the VZ2008.  Below are a few things, most are a matter of taste.

- Get the carrier tabbed.  I did them on each of mine, but only after a 1,000 rounds without the tab.  Never had a problem, but it's good insurance.

- Bend down one of the leafs on the trigger spring to lighten the pull.  It helps a lot, although from what I've read there are different weighted springs out there so the improvement may vary.

- This isn't a mod, but make sure that the split pin that holds in the mag release/bolt hold open pin is inserted from the outside and bottom of the receiver.  The flat head should point down at the ground.  If it's installed the opposite way, which it is on many rifles, there's a chance that the pin could rotate and the flat spot of the split pin allow the mag release pin to walk out, letting your mag release parts spill onto the ground.

- Get a surplus Czech, chrome-lined gas piston.  The Century, US-made one is fine most of the time, but the Czech ones are better made.  Replace the Century one and keep it as a spare.  If you do, however, you'll need to get another US-made part.  Ronin makes good grips.  You could also change out the stock or hand guards.  If you do replace the piston, they tend to have different diameters and you may have to open the piston hole in the back of the rear sight block with a round file -- go very easy and slowly as it doesn't need much.

- Replace the springs -- gas piston, striker, recoil -- with new or new-old-stock.  Ebay usually has sets from the Czech of Slovak republics.  The Century ones are of varying quality and wear, although all mine worked fine.  Replace them and keep the Century ones as spares.

- Replace the striker with a new-old stock one.  Keep the original as a spare.

- The front hand guard, obviously, gets hot.  You could either replace it or modify the original.  I got another surplus one for cheap and drilled vent holes in the bottom and sides.  That helped, but I ended up bolting an angled foregrip onto it.  You could also add a vertical one.

- One of the best mods I did was to get a surplus rear sight ladder, drill and tap it, and attach a rifle sling stud to make a peep sight.   I first tried to retain the elevation adjustment, but ended up removing the slider and making it one height.  It works very well and I can repeatedly hit steel bunnies and pigs from 50-100 yards, as well as a steel gong to 200 meters.  Much faster than the factory notch sight.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
Congratulations on acquiring your Vz2008 and getting it to the Range!  8)  :)

While I also never had any issues with my Vz2008, I also had my Bolt Carrier Tabbed.  My Vz2008 also started out plain, but soon evolved into the Pic below:

Vz2008 with upgrades
BoneSteel upper and lower front handguards
Mako Pistol Grip
Mako Folding Adjustable Stock
Slovakian Muzzle Break
Hammers Red/Green Dot Sight

I've not bothered to do anything else to it and I trust I'll be happy with it, the way it is.  The only problem with the way I went is that the BoneSteel furniture is now almost impossible to get.
I don't know what I would recommend in it's place.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline zmr

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:01:40 AM »
I replaced my folding stock with a fixed stock and bought an aluminum heat shield form my lower hand guard.

Offline CCW-Ohio

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »
Thanks, All

A couple of you have referred to tabbing the bolt carrier. I'm new/clueless on what you mean. I will Google-ize this but do you have any references on the what and how of doing this??

Phil

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 07:35:02 PM »
Thanks, All

A couple of you have referred to tabbing the bolt carrier. I'm new/clueless on what you mean. I will Google-ize this but do you have any references on the what and how of doing this??

Phil

Take a look at the below.  He may still offer the service.  He did three for me over a matter of months, did excellent work, and was very reliable.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=61434.0

Offline CCW-Ohio

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 06:57:15 AM »
Thanks, All

Phil

Take a look at the below.  He may still offer the service.  He did three for me over a matter of months, did excellent work, and was very reliable.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=61434.0
Thanks TJNewton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CCW-Ohio

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 08:59:38 PM »
I think that my carrier is tabbed. Take a look at this pic, please and verify or get a good laugh at the noob!!

Offline CCW-Ohio

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 09:00:31 PM »

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 12:38:04 AM »
Yes, it's tabbed.

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 02:36:28 PM »
TJNewton's original reply for R&R parts is very good advice IMHO
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline nickndfl

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »
VZ makes a great hunting rifle too.