Author Topic: Best Mounting Options For Red Dot Optics  (Read 13549 times)

Offline 007_Bond

Best Mounting Options For Red Dot Optics
« on: August 19, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »
Hey guys. I've read through several threads but just looking for more info on the best mounting options for red dots on the Scorpion.

I've chosen low mounts merely cuz I felt it would be best for Cheek welds and sight picture but will a low mount do an absolute co-witness?
If it does I know it'll pose pros and cons. Pro being if the sight goes down you can still use your iron sight? Cons being ... will the iron sights always be in the FOV when using the optic?

I THINK I'm wanting an easy normal Cheek Weld and the iron sight to not be in the picture for a completely clear sight picture. But maybe I am wrong and I'm open to suggestions please.

Optics I'm interested in using for the Scorpion are:
Leupold DPP
Trijicon MRO
Aimpoint H2 (or similar... i.e. Holosun)

Offline rss

Best Mounting Options For Red Dot Optics
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »
I have quick release mount from American Defense Manufacturing. Can remove in 3 seconds if need to go to irons. Does not cowitness but sometimes the front sight enters FOV.

Lowest option is a flush mounting plate for RMR from CZ Custom. Out of stock right now. Link below too:

https://czcustom.com/cz-scorpion-evo-rail-mount-rmr.html

Delta Point Pro would probably cowitness with the RMR mount, if pins line up. Looking at the co-witness photo above, I'm not into it. I say go with quick detach and an open and clear FOV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:54:48 AM by rss »

Offline 007_Bond

Re: Best Mounting Options For Red Dot Optics
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 11:17:44 AM »
Thanks for the help so far with the DPP option. Yah seeing that last picture I definitely don't want absolute co-witness with any sights. As far as the DPP I currently have the Leupold Cross Slot Mount.

Offline wyoung

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
The Leupold Deltapoint Pro won't come close even with the low ADM mount. Just plan on taking it off if I need the irons.

The DPP will not work with the Trijicon RMR mounts. It only works with the Trijicon MS04 Red Dot mount like this.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/822247/american-defense-ad-tr-mini-quick-release-trijicon-red-dot-sight-mount-picatinny-style-ar-15-flat-top-matte

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:09:45 PM by wyoung »

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »
American Defense , Larue , Geiselle , Troy , Midwest. I'm partial to the ADM because of the price point. usually under $65-70 shipped and never had one fail or lose zero.
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline wyoung

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 10:44:06 PM »
Larue won't warranty their mounts when mounted on a rail with the channel cut out down the middle like the Scorpion, Bren, Tavor, etc.

My ADM mounts are great.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 10:46:50 PM »
Larue won't warranty their mounts when mounted on a rail with the channel cut out down the middle like the Scorpion, Bren, Tavor, etc.

My ADM mounts are great.

Why won't they? Something wrong with these kinda rails that the scorpion has?

Offline wyoung

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 11:03:35 PM »

My ADM mounts are great.

There's nothing wrong with the rails. It's the way their mounts are designed.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 11:36:00 PM »

My ADM mounts are great.

There's nothing wrong with the rails. It's the way their mounts are designed.

Gotcha ok cool
Thx

Offline yrs

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
Good tip on the ADM quick mount. I don't like any co-witness of the iron sights with the red dot, the sight picture gets too busy for my taste. One question regarding the quick release mounts. Do/should you re-zero every time you take it off and put it on?

Offline Mike_TX

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
FWIW, I have a Primary Arms micro red dot on my Scorpion, mounted directly to the picatinny rail (base and QD removed). I get lower 1/3 co-witness with the irons, which is perfect for me. Couldn't be happier with that setup.

Offline smashworth

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 07:01:36 AM »
I second the primary arms

Offline Wahoo9501

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 07:05:59 AM »
My PA Micro mounts direct to rail and provides a perfect lower 3rd cowitness

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
Some thoughts:

In my opinion, unobstructed and larger fields of view trump all other considerations. The point of the dot is speed of target acquisition and anything that hinders that is counterproductive.

The higher end optics rarely fail. Between tritium, high battery life, or prism etching, getting illumination or keeping a reticle in virtually all conditions make the optics that much more reliable. The need for backup irons is minimal. (Honestly, In a CQB 9mm PDW ranges, you could probably hit a man at 100 yards with no optics at all, just looking down the rail...)

Co witness is among the worst of all options in practice.  You get all of the clutter from the irons and the optics edges and controls in your sight pucture all the time.  You don't get much of the speed advantage because of it.  In fact, most people would probably be better served with a tritium front sight post on their irons over a cowitness dot.

In practice, simply running a high quality optic, low with no irons, or above the irons, is great. If you are ready worried about needing those irons, use a quick deteach mount for the optic so you can shed it and use the irons in a hurry. Give the optic its best chance to succeed, and don't worry so much about the backup.

Just my two cents.

Offline jmstallard

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 01:29:23 PM »
Co witness is among the worst of all options in practice.  You get all of the clutter from the irons and the optics edges and controls in your sight pucture all the time.

Wait a minute...I assumed that when people set up co-witness systems, then were folding those irons down and completely out of the optic's sight picture, and only raising them in the case of catastrophic failure of the optic. Do people really use an optic that's partially blocked by an iron sight?

anything