Author Topic: Problem putting original grip on D-Technik VZ-58 "Sporter"  (Read 277 times)

Offline Marcus

Problem putting original grip on D-Technik VZ-58 "Sporter"
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
Well, my new stock set from the Czech Republic arrived in  the mail and I have started  replacing the black polymer "sporter" stock set with  the distinctive and unique original wood impregnated resin "beaver barf" Czechoslovakian goodness.

The butt stock and handguards went on quickly and with no problems, and look great.

But when I went to put the grip on, it immediately became obvious there was a problem.

Unlike an AK where the grip is  held in place by the back of the triggerguard and the bottom of the grips screw nut that hangs down into the grip, the VZ-58 grip fits up against the back of the triggerguard but the stamped metal triggerguard extends further backward  and has a raised "cupped" edge that the grip sits inside of, which keeps the grip from moving around.  This rear extension of the triggerguard is riveted to the bottom of the receiver.

On the "sporter" version, the triggerguard ends shortly after the back of  triggerguard bow and does not have this extension with raised rim to contain the grip, since the grip is made as part of the "butthole" thumbhole stock  and thus does need this part.

So at this point my options are to either replace the whole triggerguard with an original military one which will require removing and replacing the triggerguard on it, or getting a military triggergard, cutting the  back part off, modifying it to fit, and attaching it to the receiver with rivets, or little screws or little nuts and bolts if that will work.

The advantage to adding the back part of a military triggerguard and leaving the triggerguard bow that is already on the rifle in place is that should it ever be deemed necessary to put the thumbhole sporter stock back on the rifle it will be a lot quicker and easier to remove just this added back part instead of removing and replacing the entire triggerguard.

This is a subject which I must ponder deeply and meditate on.  Although I dislike the black polymer stock - mainly because it is ergonomically designed specifically for a right-handed shooter and I am left-handed -  I like to keep any modifications on my rifles to an easily reversible minimum and keep all the original parts.  Who knows, one day maybe all the Czech VZ-58 sporters will all have been converted to military configuration and an original unmodified one will be worth its weight in gold.....yeah, not likely, I know.

So at this point I need an original triggerguard in excellent to mint condition, with as dark a finish as possible to match as well as it can the black finish on my rifle.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:19:26 AM by Marcus »

Offline MeatAxe

Re: Problem putting original grip on D-Technik VZ-58 "Sporter"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 01:20:02 AM »
Well, my new stock set from the Czech Republic arrived in  the mail and I have started  replacing the black polymer "sporter" stock set with  the distinctive and unique original wood impregnated resin "beaver barf" Czechoslovakian goodness.

The butt stock and handguards went on quickly and with no problems, and look great.

But when I went to put the grip on, it immediately became obvious there was a problem.

Unlike an AK where the grip is  held in place by the back of the triggerguard and the bottom of the grips screw nut that hangs down into the grip, the VZ-58 grip fits up against the back of the triggerguard but the stamped metal triggerguard extends further backward  and has a raised "cupped" edge that the grip sits inside of, which keeps the grip from moving around.  This rear extension of the triggerguard is riveted to the bottom of the receiver.

On the "sporter" version, the triggerguard ends shortly after the back of  triggerguard bow and does not have this extension with raised rim to contain the grip, since the grip is made as part of the "butthole" thumbhole stock  and thus does need this part.

So at this point my options are to either replace the whole triggerguard with an original military one which will require removing and replacing the triggerguard on it, or getting a military triggergard, cutting the  back part off, modifying it to fit, and attaching it to the receiver with rivets, or little screws or little nuts and bolts if that will work.

The advantage to adding the back part of a military triggerguard and leaving the triggerguard bow that is already on the rifle in place is that should it ever be deemed necessary to put the thumbhole sporter stock back on the rifle it will be a lot quicker and easier to remove just this added back part instead of removing and replacing the entire triggerguard.

This is a subject which I must ponder deeply and meditate on.  Although I dislike the black polymer stock - mainly because it is ergonomically designed specifically for a right-handed shooter and I am left-handed -  I like to keep any modifications on my rifles to an easily reversible minimum and keep all the original parts.  Who knows, one day maybe all the Czech VZ-58 sporters will all have been converted to military configuration and an original unmodified one will be worth its wait in gold.....yeah, not likely, I know.

So at this point I need an original triggerguard in excellent to mint condition, with as dark a finish as possible to match as well as it can the black finish on my rifle.

Well, pics would help, but you might try a Tapco SAW grip for an AK. Works great on my Vz and is very ergonomic and comfortable. Tighten it to the point that the raised "cup" starts digging into the plastic grip and you're good to go. The Tapco PG completely covers the raised "cup" so it won't dig into the web of your thumb.

As memory serves, you might have to file off some of the plastic PG that fits around the trigger guard to make it fit, but no big deal.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:23:40 AM by MeatAxe »

Offline Marcus

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:58:30 PM »
I had a couple Tapco saw grips that came with some AK parts kits I bought a while back, sold them off real quick...just don't like them.

Nothing but the original Czech "beaver barf" grip is going on my rifle - I specifically got this stock set for a reason,  which is making my rifle as close to an  original military issue VZ-58 as I can.

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:10:44 PM »
I had a couple Tapco saw grips that came with some AK parts kits I bought a while back, sold them off real quick...just don't like them.

Nothing but the original Czech "beaver barf" grip is going on my rifle - I specifically got this stock set for a reason,  which is making my rifle as close to an  original military issue VZ-58 as I can.

I guess everybody is different. To me the M249 SAW grip (whether the Tapco copy or the original) is perfect, whether it be on an AK, FAL, Vz58 or what have you (not so great on the AR, though, where I prefer an Ergo grip). Of course, all my guns are SHTF shooters and modified as such, so I'm not replicating the original configurations.

The stock Vz58 pistol grip, which is wider at the back than at the front, is the ergonomic equivalent of fingernails scraping across a chalk board to me -- can't stand it.

You could get a replacement trigger guard from Numrich, I think they offer a couple of different choices. It shouldn't be that hard to pop the rivets on the Sporter trigger guard and mount the surplus with screws / nuts.

AFAIK, the Vz58 "Sporters" only take the proprietary single stack, plastic 10 round mags. Are you going to hog out the mag well so it can take regular surplus double stack mags?

Also, I don't believe the single stack Sporters can be fed from the top with the usual BNX stripper clips...does that mean you'd have to cut a slot in the bolt carrier to take stripper clips?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:29:04 AM by MeatAxe »