Author Topic: CZ Redhead - face slap  (Read 4993 times)

Offline jammr

CZ Redhead - face slap
« on: August 19, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »
I've got a beautiful CZ Redhead Deluxe O/U 12 gauge  that I would like to keep, but I've got an issue.   Every time I pull the trigger I get smacked in the face/cheek such that it is a painful day at the range.  I have to ice pack my right cheekbone after every outing.

I think the drop on the stock is not enough for me, and I also need quite a but more in length from my shoulder to the trigger.   I compared it to my Winchester pump that fits me well and it is considerably longer on the Winny.   

I'm at a dilemma.  I don't want to spend a small fortune to Frankenstein the gun to fit me.
Any thoughts / solutions?
"I came here to die with you. Or to live with you."
-- Josey Wales

Offline painter

Re: CZ Redhead - face slap
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »
An adjustable butt pad should solve both issues.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 05:11:20 PM »
I do not know much about shotguns so i have nothing useful to add but i am curious why they call it a Redhead?
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »
I do not know much about shotguns so i have nothing useful to add but i am curious why they call it a Redhead?

Some of their shotguns are named after waterfowl....mallard, redhead, drake, canvasback

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redhead_(bird)

I don't have a shotgun (yet!), but have been looking at the CZ's. 

On one website it said the that post-2006 CZ shotguns were great and that the ones before that were known to have some problems, but they weren't mentioned.

As to the face-slap issue, I would think that get a butt-pad to increase the grip to shoulder length should do the trick.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:23:37 PM by rdcinhou »
CZ24/27/38/40P/45/52, Vzor 50/70,75BΩ,75D Compact,P01/07/09,P10M/S/C/F(9mm,.45), Phantom,SP01 Tactical,Shadow 2 (Blue,Urban Gray), 82/83/85 PreB, 97BE,97BD,97BDE,100,1911A1, 2075D RAMI,452 American,550 Urban Counter Sniper,805 Bren S1,Drake G2,Duo,Z,vz24 8mm Mauser,FK 7.5 BRNO Field Pistol, PSD

Offline Tok36

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:51:47 PM »

Some of their shotguns are named after waterfowl....mallard, redhead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redhead_(bird)

I don't have a shotgun (yet!), but have been looking at the CZ's. 

On one website it said the that post-2006 CZ shotguns were great and that the ones before that were known to have some problems, but they weren't mentioned.

As to the face-slap issue, I would think that get a butt-pad to increase the grip to shoulder length should do the trick.

Interesting, thank you for the information rdcinhou, i never would have guessed that.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline DeltaGray

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 09:27:25 PM »
Well, I want to reply but may write words that may include my questions and comments that may not provide a solution.  I am not a stock fitter but I observe fit and target shooters.  I have seen people get slapped and/or bruised so questions and possibly no definitive answers are provided below.
1) Is the Redhead marked as a "Deluxe" model or the CZ Redhead Premier or a Redhead Premier Target?  If the former, does it have 28" barrels?  The barrel length is not so important for this Subject topic. 
2) Some of the recoil pads are not necessarily long or thick. 
a) What is the LOP (length of pull) on that shotgun) or simply trigger to end of pad?  Is the LOP 14.5" or 14.75" long?
b) Having said that above, with empty shotgun and hand on the "grip" and stock to shoulder (not your arm) how close is your nose to your thumb?  I ask questions about student's stock length or fit.  Many factory stocks do not fit women based on women I have helped.  Stock length is relatively easy for me to guess.  I am seen stocks to be too long for women.  I did not yet suggest you to take two aspirins and not call me tomorrow.  I did not yet give up on this post.
I would also want to know if the stock height feels or looks like for you. Face slap was mentioned but I would also want to know how much of your pupil can be seen if someone looks along the top barrel of your unloaded and mounted shotgun. IF you think that this text is silly (not useful) you can stop the taxi meter.  Not everyone "holds" the stock right under their cheekbone.  My text may not be clear but I know what I was thinking as I type.  I could have told you more than I said.  I had not added more to my confusion (said in fun) to talk about topics of drop of heal, Monte Carlo or not drop at comb, parallel comb, cast on or off.  Is your head nearly straight and not rolled or seriously leaned over. I do not want to talk about barrel beads at this time.  I do not look at front sight bead or consciously look at end of barrel when I break clay targets.  I do not "rifle shoot" a shotgun.
3) I fuss about factory gun fit relative to LOP, recoil pad and the "drop".  Most of my multiple shotguns regardless of action type may have a LOP of about 15" but that may not be your fix. Many instructors would let you break targets to see how you do and see or approach targets.  I talk with students about the shotgun rear sight. What rear sight?  My answer is a person's eye.  I have won shotguns in registered target competition using an O/U but my former rough looking Rem 1100 (still own and use) with "plastic" stock now wears wood all around and the stock was modified from an unfinished blank purchased at a good price.  That Rem locked up tight during a Sportsman's Team Challenge event (a 3-man team event).  The 1100 barrel broke about a year ago at the soldered joint.  It runs better now with a different barrel.  I am off topic but I wanted to talk, so to speak.  I am concerned about face slap and sore shoulders.  Not relative to face slap and recoil, a nominal 7/8th ounce 12 ga load can, with human help, break clay targets such as Olympic skeet or Olympic (bunker) trap targets. The stock pad should be placed in a natural place.
4) I have not yet said in this post:
a) I have not told you that I am a "spert".
b)  I am however a sporting clay (NSCA) Level 1 instructor (since 2001).  Level 1's are not expected to be stock fitters.  I am not a stock fitter.   
c) I do own a CZ 612 Trap (a pump shotgun).  I did not have to fix the stock but it was made longer with a certain KickEeze recoil pad. 
5) I did not suggest (I think) any Frankenstein options.  Some fixes however cost some cash.  After all this "talk" I just copy/pasted some text from first poster "... I also need quite a but more in length from my shoulder to the trigger."  OKAY, you may temporarily add to stock length in different ways.  A cheap way may be to added cardboard (even shell box pieces) between the wooden stock and the pad IF that can be done on the Redheads but with tightened screws.  You could borrow a slip on pad if the correct size will fit over the stock and original pad end.  Stock pads at the pad bottom (the toe) can dig and cause some discomfort. The FACE SLAP full solution was probably not reached. The problem solution may be above my skill set. 

Offline tattooo

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 09:46:08 PM »
Your fit is not right, either adjustable buttpad or get the correct thickness to add if you need or to shorten. It will go away, I corrected the same problem.

Offline DeltaGray

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 11:11:09 PM »
tattooo, I will not disagree with your answer.  I avoided writing about an adjustable comb and and adjustable butt pad.  Overall length is frequently important for many people.  There may not be any experienced stock fitters who visit this forum who work wood, also pads and adjustable parts. 

Offline JamesV

• how's that working for you?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 12:25:46 PM »
jammr, I hope you resolved your issue by now. For what it's worth I shoot a Redhead Premier 12ga and it fits me like a glove, so like the other guys say "fit" is really important.  I also use a shoulder pad from Cabelas.  It's their rifle shoulder pad that I use to shoot my Winchester model70 XTR in 30.06.
The last time out I shot 250 rounds with the Redhead with it's original pad and had no ill affects.  Overall, I have been out 4 times shooting skeet and did not get any bruising or soreness.

Jim

Lovin my CZ Redhead Premier