Author Topic: Refinishing Controls  (Read 670 times)

Offline rmbrewer

Refinishing Controls
« on: August 20, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
What is usually done to get back the black finish for controls that are ground down or filed to bare metal?

I shaped my new extended LH safety, but I want the black finish back.

Do you guys paint them with an epoxy, or re-blue parts? I don't know anything about re-blueing.

SPO1SHADOW

Re: Refinishing Controls
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »
The easy way. Buy a small bottle of Brownell's Oxpho Blue. Degrease your small part and heat it up with a hair dryer. Pour a small amount of Oxpho Blue in a small container, enough to fully cover the part. A small degreased spray can cap works well for this. Drop the part into the cold blue and leave it for a minute. Remove it and let it dry or you can speed the drying up with the hair dryer. Polish off with some 0000 degreased steel wool. Repeat until you get the desired color. Degrease the part if it is touched with bare fingers or don't touch the part with your fingers each time you do this, it is best to do wearing thin Nitrile gloves. It only takes a few passes to make the part as dark as original, you don't have to remove the original finish on the whole part and Oxpho blue has no smell and is a durable finish. I cannot say that for some of the other cold blues on the market.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:03:46 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline rmbrewer

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 07:31:56 PM »
Thanks Shadow,

Oxpho Blue seems affordable and worth having around the work bench.

I appreciate the advice.

Offline Genin

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 01:30:30 PM »
I also cold blue. I use the birchwood type and haven't had any issues having it match for parts I've had to file to fit.

anything