Author Topic: SP-01 Stovepipe/double feed w/115gr ammo  (Read 1301 times)

Offline HSThompson

SP-01 Stovepipe/double feed w/115gr ammo
« on: August 20, 2017, 05:29:18 PM »
I've had my SP-01 since Jan 15, absolutely love the gun. The only issue I've ran into is with 115gr ammo, double feed/stovepipe every few mags. Does it with both mags, at first I thought it was a break-in issue but the gun has nearly 2,500 rounds through it at this point. I've heard some say CZ's are picky, others say they eat everything. Mine chews up & spits out my carry issue & heavier grain bullets no problem but I still have it in the back of my head how it performs with lighter ammo. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Offline Rnlinebacker

Re: Stovepipe/double feed w/115gr ammo
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »
Factory or hand loads?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline HSThompson

Re: Stovepipe/double feed w/115gr ammo
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 05:45:25 PM »
Happens with factory 115gr as well as reloads. My shield, 1911 commander & Glock eat it all.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: SP-01 Stovepipe/double feed w/115gr ammo
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
Is it leaving the fired case in the chamber and then trying to chamber the next loaded round?

Is it extracting the empty from the chamber but then not tossing it out of the slide, but allowing the slide to come back forward and jam the empty and the next round together?

Is the fired case extracted and ejected from the pistol, but the next round hangs up before it gets chambered?
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline HSThompson

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
The round either fired then the empty case would get stuck in the slide or the round will eject fully however the gun will also double feed. Again, only with 115gr doesn't matter if it's factory, reman, fmj or hp.
It makes me not trust the gun. Every other gun I own in 9mm doesn't care what ammo is in it'll handle it just fine. Is this an SP-01 thing, CZ-75 in general or do I have an issue with the gun? I love shooting it but if I had any pistol in my safe to grab it would be last, even behind the shield with it's lack of capacity due to the fact I know it'll fire no problem, which is kind of sad

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 09:18:10 PM »
Just some possibilities that can contribute to that problem:
What specific commercial ammo causes the the problem?
If stronger ammo runs well,  it could be the 115 loads are too light for the recoil spring in the pistol. 
Make sure the extractor channel is completely free of gunk build up,  and the slide rails are well lubed.
Also make sure your mag bodies are clean inside,  and I recommend using car "polish" inside and out.

The stock recoil spring is 14#.   

Offline HSThompson

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 09:22:32 PM »
Winchester, federal, hornady ect. If I change the recoil spring what's the possibility I'll have issues with anything above 115gr?

Offline HSThompson

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »
Also can you point me to a link on the spots you're saying to use car "polish?" Should I be worried about my CZ as far as reliability goes? If so I may get rid of it as much as I'd hate to

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 11:36:26 PM »
You have a problem and yet it it looks like we're having to pry the details out.

>:(
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 12:40:29 AM »
"Also make sure your mag bodies are clean inside,  and I recommend using car "polish" inside and out."

As far as I know, I'm the link a number of years back. O0 
It does reduce friction and lasts a very long time.  It helps smooth bullet feed as well as  mag inserts.  Not a wax,  but polish like Meguiars Gold or similar.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:45:55 AM by 1SOW »

Offline copemech

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 01:15:34 AM »
In my opinion, all CZ's are heavily sprung for NATO spec ammo. This means 124 gr running somewhere at or above 1200 FPS, with a power factor of near 150.

As an example, when I chrono the average 115 ammo they MAY run 1150 fps, but do the math and the PF is now 132, and using that simple math, a 20 percent lighter recoil spring may do it for you.

They cost about 6 bucks from CGW, or get a tuning pack! O0

Offline HSThompson

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 01:50:52 AM »
Thanks for the input & replies I'll give the car polish a try & start looking at recoil springs.

Offline HSThompson

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 01:55:28 AM »
You have a problem and yet it it looks like we're having to pry the details out.

>:(

How so? I mentioned right off the bat it was 115gr ammo & after the first reply mentioned it the brands I use as well as some reloads. I threw out the info I thought was necessary, if more is needed please ask, otherwise thanks for the help. 👍🏻

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 04:54:50 AM »
Since you've had the gun only since January and assuming it was bought new I would contact CZ-USA and explain the problem to them.The gun is under warranty and CZ customer service is very good.
I own 7 CZ's 6 of them in 9mm and they ALL function perfectly on any ammo I feed them. Bullet weight has no effect and my reloads consist of some cases that are beat up pretty well and have been loaded well over 10 times.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »
How so? I mentioned right off the bat it was 115gr ammo & after the first reply mentioned it the brands I use as well as some reloads. I threw out the info I thought was necessary, if more is needed please ask, otherwise thanks for the help. 👍🏻

If you'd have anwsered all the questions in the thread shown below, you'd probably be much further down the road at this point. Otherwise, these type threads turn into guessing games that go on for 3 or 4 pages.

I'm not complaining. Simply pointing out how these things run.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=79410.0
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

anything