Author Topic: SP-01 Stovepipe/double feed w/115gr ammo  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Dynachuck

Re: SP-01 Stovepipe/double feed w/115gr ammo
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »
I have an SP-01 with about 800 rounds on it. I never had a problem before but last weekend I had 3 stovepipes out of one box of ammo. It was blazer 115 go with aluminum casings. I then ran a box of federal 115 and no problem. I guess the blazer aluminum is off my list. I'm just a plinker so I look for the cheapest ammo I can find. 

[Mods corrected gun model.]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:10:19 AM by Wobbly »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2017, 09:51:08 AM »
Many years ago I had exactly the same problem with a 75B during an ammo shortage where only aluminum cased 9mm was available.  Following suggestions from this forum's members,  I installed an extra power 'extractor spring'.
It worked 100% reliably with aluminum and brass cases.

Looking closely at the aluminum case extractor grooves,  they had a very slightly more rounded extractor groove.  Maybe because aluminum can't be formed with quite as sharp of a bend as brass can.   For whatever reason the stronger spring worked.

Possibly sanding just a very small amount off the extractor stop pad would do the same.

Hope this helps.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2017, 10:12:38 AM »
The key to avoiding disappointment is having properly positioned expectations.  If you buy cheap ammo, expect failures, and you won't be disappointed.  ;)

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 03:47:03 PM »
The key to avoiding disappointment is having properly positioned expectations.  If you buy cheap ammo, expect failures, and you won't be disappointed.  ;)
There are high quality cheap ammo from European manufactures that are not disappointing at all. In fact they are very impressive. GECO, MAH, S&B, PPU, and others. Very competitive bulk prices too. I wouldn't expect the failures from even cheapest ammo. Lesser consistency and performance -maybe.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:06:05 PM by Boris_LA »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2017, 04:34:04 AM »
In fact they are very impressive.

And yet you load...  ;)

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2017, 05:47:42 AM »
There are high quality cheap ammo from European manufactures that are not disappointing at all. In fact they are very impressive. GECO, MAH, S&B, PPU, and others. Very competitive bulk prices too. I wouldn't expect the failures from even cheapest ammo. Lesser consistency and performers -maybe.

While I agree a modern manufactured weapon should function reliably on modern manufactured ammo this just isn't always the case. I had a late model Walther PPK/S and a Sig P238 both .380 cal. and NEITHER would reliably feed either Fiocchi or Maxx Tech ammo but were perfect with anything else under the sun. Some times when you couple the varying tolerances that are present from gun to gun with the inconsistency of cheaper ammo this is what you get.
I never loaded .380 so I was at the mercy of what was on the market so staying with cheaper brands was the norm for practice. I do load for everything I have in 9mm and up so I have no experience with cheaper ammo in those calibers but I have no doubt similar failures can be the norm. I did try Blazer aluminum many years ago in a model 915 S&W 9mm and while it was reliable the ejection was erratic in comparison to good brass cased ammo.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
In fact they are very impressive.

And yet you load...  ;)
Not because i cant get cheaper factory ammo to function.
I started loading for extreme precision, that only few very expensive custom ammo might provide.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:06:39 PM by Boris_LA »