Author Topic: I think I want a 44mag lever gun  (Read 2513 times)

Offline FireMoose

I think I want a 44mag lever gun
« on: August 20, 2017, 10:16:36 PM »
I heard the Marlin 1894 is a great one but I've read about many QA issues. When was Marlin bought and how can I tell it it's an older one?

Any other suggestions or insight? It'll be mostly a range toy until I find someone who wants to take me hunting haha, i gotta do something with this brass right?

Offline Firemanjones

Re: I think I want a 44mag lever gun
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »
No suggestions here, but that would be a fun range toy!
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 07:55:59 AM »
I believe Remington bought out Marlin around 2007. There are many complaints of quality issues with the Remington made Marlins so I would search for guns produced before that. Be aware that Pure Marlins are commanding a premium. I paid $369 in 2002 for my Marlin 1894 in .357 mag/.38spl and sold it last year for $1100. I have no personal experience with the Henry rifles but that may be another viable option as well.

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:51:09 AM »
Not sure one could do much better than a Made in the USA American Icon
Henry Big Boy .44mag/.44spl and put the large lever loop on there :)

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:56:08 AM »
Not sure one could do much better than a Made in the USA American Icon
Henry Big Boy .44mag/.44spl and put the large lever loop on there :)

Have one in my safe now...new unfired condition, have thought several times about selling it...then I take it out of case and look at it and I keep changing my mind LOL. BEAUTIFUL rifle!

Offline bent valve

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »
My friend has 5 Henry Rifles. 22 to 30/30. his 17 would not even chamber a round, chamber to short, sent it back and works O.K. now. 30/30  wouldn't feed the last round, sent IT back and works OK. Maybe their Q.C. can't keep up with their popularity.
These weren't my guns so I don't know how Henry fixed the problems.
bent

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »
I think Marlin has pretty much resolved their quality issues but if you are still not sure, then check out Henry Rifles.  I bought a .357/38 Spcl Henry last year and it is a beautiful, well-made gun and a hoot to shoot.  You may find, regardless of which manufacturer you choose, that cycling the "special" calibers in either 44 or 38 might be problematic depending on the type of cartridge you're shooting.  Henry tells you, up front, that you might have a problem and which cartridge will work best in your rifle.  It seems that the cartridge needs to be a be a certain OAL to work properly.  That being said, I have not experienced any problem in that regard.

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 11:37:52 AM »
My friend has 5 Henry Rifles. 22 to 30/30. his 17 would not even chamber a round, chamber to short, sent it back and works O.K. now. 30/30  wouldn't feed the last round, sent IT back and works OK. Maybe their Q.C. can't keep up with their popularity.
bent
Hmmm, hadn't heard of problems like that. I also had blued models in .22 and 45LC cycled/fed everything perfectly.
How long ago was his rifles? 

Ron M.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 09:14:43 PM »
I have 2 Henry Steel Frame rifles a 357 and a 45Colt, both have been flawless from day 1. The one upgrade I've done on both is install a Skinner receiver mounted peep sight and removed the Buckhorn rear sight. I installed a blank to fill in the notch.

http://skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

The 357 with my 586 L-Comp before the sight install.

I need to shoot a photo with the sight in place.

Offline bent valve

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
bent
Hmmm, hadn't heard of problems like that. I also had blued models in .22 and 45LC cycled/fed everything perfectly.
How long ago was his rifles?
They were Golden Boys and IIRC it was 4-5 years ago. Funny thing was he picked up the 30/30 at a event where the president of the company was signing autographs. Next year he was there and the prez  got a ear full.
BENT

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 10:51:33 PM »
I always thought marlin stuff was good, specially for those who needed a scope on their lever actions.  I'm thoroughly happy with my Dad's 50s vintage 94 Winchester (30-30) with iron sights and top ejection, despite the cheezy compass, likely after market built into the stock that while all the rage for those sissy Michigan hunters back in the day, froze solid and broke during one of my days afield!

JK Dad.  Keep resting peaceably,  you've earned it!
Actually Dad's Marlin broke too soon before a hunting trip and he made a trade for the Win.  It is likely that the gunsmith got the better of the deal, although I must say I've made some of my most memorable, and nearly impossible shots with that thing when it was my main rifle and my eyes were younger.

Offline DeltaGray

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 11:53:32 PM »
I suggest to be careful regarding purchase of a used Winchester 44 mag lever gun.  I said that after a friend's Win 44 had the carrier (lifter thing) break into pieces at the range.  I did research (called Winchester and a different company) and parts were to never be available (by Win) and not currently available from a company until parts might be made but done in batches maybe next year.  Key word was might.  Well, a technical friend modified a 30/30 carrier and fit it.  The impatient 44 owner friend has not tried the modified Win 44. 

Offline eastman

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 08:44:02 PM »
I have 2 Henry Steel Frame rifles a 357 and a 45Colt, both have been flawless from day 1. The one upgrade I've done on both is install a Skinner receiver mounted peep sight and removed the Buckhorn rear sight. I installed a blank to fill in the notch.

http://skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

The 357 with my 586 L-Comp before the sight install.

I need to shoot a photo with the sight in place.

I'm interested in seeing the rifle with the Skinner sight mounted. A friend bought a Marlin .45/70, so that has me thinking about the case-hardened finish Henry in that caliber.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 11:36:34 PM »
Both the (pre Remlins) Marlin 1894s and Henry's are very nice
Not a real fan of Henry's Tube in'a Tube Loading style though .... although, you're kinda stuck with them in a Rimfire Lever
There's something cool about the Loading Gate style of the Marlin or Winchester
For a Marlin, you're looking for a "JM" marked pre-Remlin, built in North Haven, Connecticut, before 2007
The older Marlin 1894s couldn't cycle 44 specials well (if at all)
So I installed the "New Style Carrier" (Part: F410238)
Now my '79 M1894 cycles both 44 Mags and 44 Specials, smooth as butter
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline eastman

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »
Both the (pre Remlins) Marlin 1894s and Henry's are very nice
Not a real fan of Henry's Tube in'a Tube Loading style though .... although, you're kinda stuck with them in a Rimfire Lever
There's something cool about the Loading Gate style of the Marlin or Winchester
For a Marlin, you're looking for a "JM" marked pre-Remlin, built in North Haven, Connecticut, before 2007
The older Marlin 1894s couldn't cycle 44 specials well (if at all)
So I installed the "New Style Carrier" (Part: F410238)
Now my '79 M1894 cycles both 44 Mags and 44 Specials, smooth as butter

I'm leaning to Henry for the reason you aren't. After stuffing .45/70 in loading gate of the Marlin, I think the Henry tube will be a lot easier.
I don't look like my avatar!