Author Topic: I think I want a 44mag lever gun  (Read 2511 times)

Offline greystonedog

Re: I think I want a 44mag lever gun
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 01:13:17 PM »
This thread got to me, think I need to get one too. The JM  pre safety  1983 or earlier seems to be the way I will go. This configuration should hold its value and quite possibly be a good investment. At least I should get my money back when I loose interest and want to buy another CZ

Offline DeltaGray

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 04:52:25 PM »
I hope that greystonedog does not lose interest. 

Offline FireMoose

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 03:11:40 AM »
This thread got to me, think I need to get one too. The JM  pre safety  1983 or earlier seems to be the way I will go. This configuration should hold its value and quite possibly be a good investment. At least I should get my money back when I loose interest and want to buy another CZ

Ooo weee around 1k for those babies....

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
The JM  pre safety  1983 or earlier seems to be the way I will go. This configuration should hold its value and quite possibly be a good investment.
Ooo weee around 1k for those babies....
Here ya go
PICK ONE !
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=marlin+1894%2c+44%2c+jm&Sort=13
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline greystonedog

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »
Just bought one 1981 model on GB for $505

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »
Very cool GSD
Yeah, my .357 was bought new in '81
But I bought the .44 new in '79
Paid about $250.00 for them back then
Cool that they've actually "increased" in value
I did pay $450.00 for a '72 39M, Golden Mountie a few years back though
Needed the "little Bother" for the other two   ;)
Love them all   8)
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline milq

• Steel on target
I think I want a 44mag lever gun
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 03:14:22 PM »
DenStinnet had the answer...JM marked barrels are the way to find the pre-Remington guns. I have an 1894 in .44 and a pair of 336 30-30 rifles that I've picked up within the past year, paid under $400 each so they can be found. I wasn't looking for any of them in particular, just stumbled onto them. I bought the 1st 336 (with safety) and 3 months later found a pre-safety model. I'll likely sell the safety equipped one but it needs some TLC...someone drilled the fore arm for a sling swivel instead of buying the mag tube clamp with swivel.
NRA Basic Pistol Instuctor, IL FCCA Instructor.

http://jc-steelontarget.blogspot.com/ and check out www.illinoiscarry.com to learn more about CCW in IL.

Offline greystonedog

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »
DenStinnett- How is the trigger on your pre safety Marlins? I see there is a "happy trigger" available which is reported to give a 2-3 lb creep free break. I have always been a trigger freak with all my rifles and pistols and  I'm spoiled by  all the CGW stuff I  did on my CZ's

Offline jammr

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »
I've been hankering for a lever gun since I shot my nephew's custom Golden Boy 22.   But I can't decide on what caliber.   I don't want it to cost a mint to shoot it (I don't load my own and don't plan to).   I'm thinking more of the 357 mag that can shoot 38 Spl too.   I also prefer the more traditional side loader vs the tube load, and all the Henry's are the latter (I think).    I had a 30-30 many years ago and sold it before I become a gun fan, and now regret doing so, as that one is worth about 10 times more than I sold it for.   

I've considered doing some  Cowboy action shooting, so perhaps the 357/38 might be a choice as some good SA cowboy pistols are available in that, although I know 45 LC might be the norm.   Obviously I'd prefer one round for both the pistol and rifle

"I came here to die with you. Or to live with you."
-- Josey Wales

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 08:21:27 PM »
DenStinnett- How is the trigger on your pre safety Marlins? I see there is a "happy trigger" available which is reported to give a 2-3 lb creep free break. I have always been a trigger freak with all my rifles and pistols and  I'm spoiled by  all the CGW stuff I  did on my CZ's
Hey GSD
My 44 has a nice 3.5# break
The 357 is 4.0
And the 39M is the highest with 4.5#
All three are bone stock, but break clean and crisp, with zero creep

I've been hankering for a lever gun since I shot my nephew's custom Golden Boy 22.   But I can't decide on what caliber.   I don't want it to cost a mint to shoot it (I don't load my own and don't plan to).   I'm thinking more of the 357 mag that can shoot 38 Spl too.   I also prefer the more traditional side loader vs the tube load, and all the Henry's are the latter (I think).    I had a 30-30 many years ago and sold it before I become a gun fan, and now regret doing so, as that one is worth about 10 times more than I sold it for.   

I've considered doing some  Cowboy action shooting, so perhaps the 357/38 might be a choice as some good SA cowboy pistols are available in that, although I know 45 LC might be the norm.   Obviously I'd prefer one round for both the pistol and rifle

A 45LC is pretty-much the same as a 44
The only real difference is the Barrel
.357s are very different from the other Calibers in several ways
Both of my 1894s will cycle Magnums and Specials, which makes them quite versitile
I did have to change out to the "New Style Carrier" (Part: F410238)on the 44 to accommodate the Specials though
Any one of the three (.357, .44 or .45) matched-up with a nice SAA WOULD make a great CAS combo
Even a nice 22lr set-up could work
I have a Super Blackhawk matched-up with the 44cal 1894
A 357 Blackhawk and a Super Single Six to go wit the other two Levers
All three are very nice combos
All three combos would work, if I were into CASing
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:31:48 PM by DenStinett »

Offline Mastodon

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
Absolutely love my JM stamped 1894c in .357mag.  Great that these are going up in worth; but I'll never sell mine.  It is a firearm that will outlast generations and will be handed down in my family.  Lever guns are a lot of fun.  I haven't done much with the Remlins.  In the first years after Remington bought Marlin, the Remlins that came out had several issues.  If by now its all squared away, great. Lever-actions are great.

Yeah, above replies got it.  Look for a JM stamp on the barrel.
Chartered in 1845 by The Republic of Texas

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »
In the first years after Remington bought Marlin, the Remlins that came out had several issues.  If by now its all squared away, great. Lever-actions are great.

Yeah, above replies got it.  Look for a JM stamp on the barrel.

One issue here is there were a lot of early Remlin Receivers fit with JM marked Barrels
It's all about the build year
In all reality, the ideal 1894s are pre (Cross Bolt) Safety (pre '84) models
Then the other pre Remlins

The Guardian

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
I've owned many Marlin's, Henry's and Winchester lever guns.........for the money and quality its really hard to beat Henry's.  I've had issues with the others, but never a Henry.  I currently have a Henry Brass Big Boy Carbine in 41 Magnum.....its a looker and a fine shooter.

Offline DeltaGray

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 02:14:18 PM »
Fire lead projectiles in .44 or .41 (rifle or pistol)?  Cast lead worked okay in an original DW .44.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 11:24:43 PM »
Fire lead projectiles in .44 or .41 (rifle or pistol)?  Cast lead worked okay in an original DW .44.
I'm with you on the use of Lead Bullets
Lead with 44 Specials works quite well
But, you get a lot of "leading" using Lead with 44 Mags